Tony Tuioti Hired as New DL Coach

SUHperman

Even with the change in cost-of-living ya it is surprising he we got him for less than 400K. Nice to get a guy experienced in the 3-4, Wilcox is a great coach to have learned under.  Should be a great recruiting asset. Now we just need a guy with big Texas ties.

11 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Even with the change in cost-of-living ya it is surprising he we got him for less than 400K. Nice to get a guy experienced in the 3-4, Wilcox is a great coach to have learned under.  Should be a great recruiting asset. Now we just need a guy with big Texas ties.

I think it makes sense he's not making as much as Dawson was without having ever coached with Frost.

“In this profession — college football and pro football — everybody’s worked with somebody who’s worked with somebody,” he said.

In this case, the somebodies are Husker defensive coordinator Erik Chinander and UCLA defensive coordinator Jerry Azzinaro.

Azzinaro and Chinander worked together at Oregon for three years — Azzinaro as the defensive line coach and Chinander as an intern (2010) and a graduate assistant (2011-12) — then moved together to the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013. Their paths separated after a year there, but they’ve kept in touch. When Azzinaro became the defensive line coach at Cal in 2017, he formed a tight bond with Tuioti, who was coaching outside linebackers.

LJS

Tuioti seeks to build a dominant D-line against the run

Tony Tuioti took notice of the clock. It was 1 a.m. Still up. Maybe he snuck some winks in at some point, but not enough that he didn't see that clock move to 2 a.m., then 3, then 4. By the time it got to 5, Nebraska's new defensive line coach made his first decision on his first day of spring practice.

"I'm going to the building."

He couldn't wait to see them that Monday. And, in this case, them means a bunch of Husker players he had only just met. "My family's not around, but they're my family."

• Plus1 1