2019 Beach Season

Mavric

They added about 5 more matches to the schedule than last year to bring the total to the mid-twenties. But this doesn't appear to signal' any commitment to take the program full time. Most of the schedule adds are division 2, division 3, and even some NAIA schools. By comparison, UCLA won the beach title last year and played 44 matches, predominately against other D-1 competition with only a couple of exceptions. Here is the article from Husker.com

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211792590

Stivrins is the best beach player, in fact, Ty Hildebrand (ex Husker assistant and current director of USA beach volleyball coaching) commented last fall that he thought she had a future in the professional side of beach volleyball. Not surprised that Stivrins and Hames are team 1. What is somewhat surprising is team 2. An incoming freshman and seldom played setter. Also, Lexi Sun is not on any team pairing which is a little odd.

Foecke and Maloney are not on the roster and haven't been since it was first published. I'm making the assumption that was to provide room for Knuckles and Kubik who are incoming scholarship players. Brooke Smith was on the roster, but has been removed in the last week or so.

Kubik is an interesting case. She did an interview following a high school all-star match and stated that she chose Nebraska so she could develop into a six rotational player to help her go pro. No equivocating about what she was going to do after university; she's going to the professional leagues. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Undertow said:

They added about 5 more matches to the schedule than last year to bring the total to the mid-twenties. But this doesn't appear to signal' any commitment to take the program full time. Most of the schedule adds are division 2, division 3, and even some NAIA schools. By comparison, UCLA won the beach title last year and played 44 matches, predominately against other D-1 competition with only a couple of exceptions. Here is the article from Husker.com

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I remember from when the Huskers first added a beach season that most schools have separate indoor and beach teams where we use the same players for both.

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I remember from when the Huskers first added a beach season that most schools have separate indoor and beach teams where we use the same players for both.

That is my understanding also. D-1 schools are allowed 6 scholarships for beach volleyball,, but the catch is that if they play at all in the indoor season then that scholarship counts against the indoor team which is allowed a total of 12 full scholarships. So a team like Nebraska doesn't hand out any beach volleyball scholarships and the girls getting an indoor volleyball scholarship can play both sports. Conversely, if a girl from USC or UCLA gets a beach volleyball scholarship (full or partial), they can't play on the indoor team. 

It helps out budget wise. The last time I saw any data on it, the budget for beach volleyball at Nebraska was only about 150K, with almost all of it traveling expenses. But it does put Nebraska at a disadvantage when playing other D-1 schools on the beach. 

• Plus1 1