2019 Beach Season

Mavric

Put a fork in it.

Huskers finish the beach season at 12-12 after losing to Stanford 5-0 and Washington 4-1. Stivrins/Hames were the 1 point against Washington, and two other matches went 3 sets. So the state of Nebraska beach volleyball is that they are better than most the Div 2 , Div 3, and NAIA teams they play, very close to beating unranked Div 1 teams like Boise State and Washington, but still a ways off from ranked Div 1 teams. That probably won't change anytime soon (maybe a few more wins against the Boise States and Washingtons of the world).

I sometimes question why Cook continues with the beach season except maybe for conditioning and to keep the team interacting with each other for a few more weeks in winter and spring. Also it is a reward of sorts for the team to go to Hawaii every year.  And even though the beach season doesn't generate revenue, the amount of profit from the indoor season more than covers it. Volleyball is still a revenue generating sport at Nebraska even when you subtract the beach season expenses.

Indoor volleyball teams are limited to the number of practices they have in the spring, so some teams in the B1G are complaining about the "extra" practice that Nebraska gets by doing the beach season. As one writer (Brent Wagner I believe) put it, there is nothing stopping other B1G schools from starting a beach volleyball team.

To me, beach and indoor volleyball are dissimilar and I'm not sure how much of the skill set is transferable between the two. It doesn't seem to be alot, but I haven't played, so I'm not the expert.