Proposal - Husker Alumni Forum

knapplc

I just had a bit of an adventure finding the Randy Gregory thread.  After reading Mav's explanation, I get why it was moved. It's still kinda weird to have threads about former Huskers in the Other Sports forum, especially since we'll likely be talking about them more often than players from any other team/sport.

With that in mind, I propose a Husker Alumni Forum, as a stand-alone forum just below Husker Baseball, or as a subforum of Husker Football.  The former seems like a better choice, since we'll likely be discussing Huskers from all sports.

• Plus1 2

For the record, I'm mostly indifferent, but I'll register a somewhat dissenting opinion.

I'm not sure I see enough of a reason to have a Husker alumni sub-forum. I can certainly see a lot of applications for it, but I question the necessity. Is there enough of a demand? Can we facilitate the conversation with what we have without creating another location to try and keep track of different content?

Using the Randy Gregory thread as an example, I think that story is big enough and has enough interest to warrant placement in the Husker football forum regardless of the time of year. That's just my personal opinion, of course, and not meant to detract from Mav's decision. But, once a thread like that dies down or loses some steam, I can see it getting moved to Other Sports or even the NFL. In the end, it took me just a few seconds searching for it in the board nav to track it down.

Similarly, and anecdotally speaking, the alumni discussion I do see generally seems to fit where it's posted.

Lastly, I'm conservative when it comes to website navigation. I'm a fan of consolidation and simplicity whenever possible as it often improves the overall user experience. Most visitors to this site frequent the football forum and generating another location to try to find news about former Huskers feels a little superfluous.

19 hours ago, Enhance said:

For the record, I'm mostly indifferent, but I'll register a somewhat dissenting opinion.

I'm not sure I see enough of a reason to have a Husker alumni sub-forum. I can certainly see a lot of applications for it, but I question the necessity. Is there enough of a demand? Can we facilitate the conversation with what we have without creating another location to try and keep track of different content? 

Using the Randy Gregory thread as an example, I think that story is big enough and has enough interest to warrant placement in the Husker football forum regardless of the time of year. That's just my personal opinion, of course, and not meant to detract from Mav's decision. But, once a thread like that dies down or loses some steam, I can see it getting moved to Other Sports or even the NFL. In the end, it took me just a few seconds searching for it in the board nav to track it down.

Similarly, and anecdotally speaking, the alumni discussion I do see generally seems to fit where it's posted.

Lastly, I'm conservative when it comes to website navigation. I'm a fan of consolidation and simplicity whenever possible as it often improves the overall user experience. Most visitors to this site frequent the football forum and generating another location to try to find news about former Huskers feels a little superfluous.

I disagree.

Threw everything in the blender and here's what came out:

https://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/forum/192-former-huskers/

I agree with @knapplc that it might be handy to have a place to collect threads about former Huskers to make them easier to find, especially former football players where their thread in the Football forum would quickly get lost during the season.  I also agree with @Enhance that I don't think those threads will generate a large amount of traffic on a consistent basis.  Thus, I think a sub-forum is more appropriate.  But since there will be more than just football players and a lot of them are still playing sports, just not for the Huskers anymore, I created a sub-form of Other Sports and moved some of the more recent threads there to get it started.

Doesn't have to be the final answer so let me know if there is feedback.

• Thanks 1

It's purely an anecdotal concern on my part, which admittedly may be misguided. In 12 years, I've never felt this type of sub forum was a necessity or a missing component of the board. However, if it has been identified as a need outside of my own experience, then I don't really have any issue with it.