DT Jamar Sekona [USC - Signed LOI]

HUSKERBOARD PREDICTOR  

45 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Sekona Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

If it weren't for Martinez I could care less about recrutiing California. I'm honestly tired of the coaches wasting their time out there. IMO we need to be the best in the Midwest and the staff is doing a good job of that. I think we would have better success (and have) in the S/E than the softies out West. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

If it weren't for Martinez I could care less about recrutiing California. I'm honestly tired of the coaches wasting their time out there. IMO we need to be the best in the Midwest and the staff is doing a good job of that. I think we would have better success (and have) in the S/E than the softies out West. 

I'm sorry but there are a ton of bad a$$ players in NCAA right now from California. Our star QB being one. I'm glad you aren't doing our recruiting.

• Plus1 6
15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm sorry but there are a ton of bad a$$ players in NCAA right now from California. Our star QB being one. I'm glad you aren't doing our recruiting.

I never stated there weren't good players out there. We have wasted a lot of time and money to get kids from CA and they rarely stay or commit in the first place.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I never stated there weren't good players out there. We have wasted a lot of time and money to get kids from CA and they rarely stay or commit in the first place.

Yep. Our resources are generally better spent on kids in the couple hundred mile radius because they are more likely to be more committed to Nebraska through everything for a large variety of reasons - and Scott Frost agrees. Of course we need to get exceptional talents from the coasts when we are able to, but it absolutely has to be a good fit.

20 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

If it weren't for Martinez I could care less about recrutiing California. I'm honestly tired of the coaches wasting their time out there. IMO we need to be the best in the Midwest and the staff is doing a good job of that. I think we would have better success (and have) in the S/E than the softies out West

Cali pumps out good players every year and I think it would be a mistake to abandon it but to B.E.'s point, I think it makes more sense to lockdown the midwest.  Plus there's definitely something to be said about some of those players being soft.  You're not typically gonna get a Hutmacher type of kid out of Cali.

• Plus1 1

SF knows the history of NU football and has seen enough talent from the 2 coast play in Lincoln.  The majority of the big boys will come from the Midwest, however there is zero chance that SF doesn't continue to attack skill players from California and the likes.

25 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Once nebraska locks down KC and St Louis then we can cut down on cali recruiting but until then nebraska is in no position to turn down talent from anywhere.

I don't recall ever "locking down" St. Louis personally.  It's seem to be an tOSU stompin' ground the past 15 years more so than a :bigredn: area.  Was it really ours ever?  What players have come from there for us?

Given the coaches comments about finding players wherever they are, I think they disagree with the posters suggesting we abandon California as soon as we can. We'll definitely make a point of trying to get the best players nearby, but they're not going to take a lesser prospect from South Dakota if they think they can get a better one from Cali or anywhere.

And I see no basis for 'West softies' - the common factor in those players mentioned is they were recruited by Riley. I probably would've changed my mind after being around the program for a year or two as well.

• Plus1 1

I subscribe to theory we need to get the big uglies from the Midwest/Texas, then look for the skill guys in Cali and the Southeast/Texas.  We are wasting time recruiting OL and DL from CA.

Anyone care to guess how many HS OL and DL we have signed out of CA since 2000?

Spoiler

3 OL and 2 DL.  And none in the last 10 years.

Cam Merideth 2008

Corey Whitaker 2008

Jacob Hickman 2006

Rodney Picou 2005

Bernard Thomas 2000

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Jamar Sekona [USC - Signed LOI]