High School Shot Clock

Should there be a shot clock in high school basketball?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is a lot of discussion going around about this. Do you think that there needs to be a shot clock in high school basketball? I coach and I will say that there are very few times when a shot clock would have even come in to play. The only time that it would matter would be at the end of a close game when a team wants to stall. What are your thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Absolutely totally against it for one reason.  It would require every single game to have yet another person running the clock.  Some schools have would have issues finding people to do it.  AND...then to find someone who actually does it well.

Seems to me to be a recipe for a mess.

I agree with you. There would be so many schools that would have someone running the shot clock that would forget to reset it or do it at the wrong time. It would be an absolute disaster at a lot of schools.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Yes, it should be set at 30 seconds, and the NSAA should help small school districts pay for it. 

The initial cost might be bad for some schools, but I don't really see that as an issue. I've coached at a lot of places that have clock operators that either forget to start the clock or stop the clock quite a bit. I can see a lot of issues with people forgetting to reset the shot clock. I think it would be interesting for someone to watch games next year and keep track of how long it takes teams to actually shoot. I'm guessing that shot clock violations would be very few in high school sports.

19 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

There needs to be a shot clock in high school. It should be either 24 seconds or 30 seconds. It will help increase the flow and stop teams from just playing keep away for the last 3 minutes of the game.

If there is a shot clock, it definitely needs to be longer than 24 seconds. At the high school level, we are still trying to teach skills and how to effectively run an offense. There would be a lot of teams that would have to chuck up shots and that would definitely hinder the game. 

I think that once it was in...it would change the game a bit.  I think the excuses as to why it can't work are lame but I get it.  

Most teams don't just milk the clock like back in the day.

I get the "who would run the clock" but it really isn't that hard to either have a ref do it with a remote clicker and/or a teacher do it for 20 dollars a game.  Could there be mistakes?  Sure...but it happens all the time on every single play where a ball goes out of bounds or a TO is called.  It is not like it is ever 100% in sync.  

11 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

If there is a shot clock, it definitely needs to be longer than 24 seconds. At the high school level, we are still trying to teach skills and how to effectively run an offense. There would be a lot of teams that would have to chuck up shots and that would definitely hinder the game. 

That is why I said 30. I would prefer a 30 second shot clock, but wouldn't be upset with a 24 second shot clock

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think that once it was in...it would change the game a bit.  I think the excuses as to why it can't work are lame but I get it.  

Most teams don't just milk the clock like back in the day.

I get the "who would run the clock" but it really isn't that hard to either have a ref do it with a remote clicker and/or a teacher do it for 20 dollars a game.  Could there be mistakes?  Sure...but it happens all the time on every single play where a ball goes out of bounds or a TO is called.  It is not like it is ever 100% in sync.  

I don't know about having a ref run the clock with a remote clicker. They have enough to worry about without having to remember to restart the shot clock every time.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There should be a shot clock.  I think 40 seconds would be appropriate for high school, especially initially.  Maybe shorten it after it's been around for awhile.

I would be ok with 40 seconds if it had to be added. Thinking back to our season though, and we played 25 games, I can only think of about 2 or 3 games and only a few times when a shot clock violation would have even come in to play. It doesn't happen as much as some people think. 

31 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I don't know about having a ref run the clock with a remote clicker. They have enough to worry about without having to remember to restart the shot clock every time.

Why don't you quit yelling at them during the game!  Then it would not be difficult for them at all!  hahaha

28 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I would be ok with 40 seconds if it had to be added. Thinking back to our season though, and we played 25 games, I can only think of about 2 or 3 games and only a few times when a shot clock violation would have even come in to play. It doesn't happen as much as some people think. 

In college it is a huge deal if you get 2-3 violations a game.  So I think you are right, in HS it really would not happen as much as some people think,

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Why don't you quit yelling at them during the game!  Then it would not be difficult for them at all!  hahaha

I've only received one technical in all of my years of coaching basketball and it wasn't for yelling at the ref. I was "politely" asking him to start calling fouls when my girl is shoved three or four feet in the lane and he told me to be quiet. I rolled my eyes and looked away and he gave me a technical and said that he wasn't going to let me roll my eyes at him! Needless to say that I almost got thrown out at that point because I was once again "politely" arguing about his call and he almost threw me out. :)