High School Shot Clock

Should there be a shot clock in high school basketball?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

If there is a shot clock, it definitely needs to be longer than 24 seconds. At the high school level, we are still trying to teach skills and how to effectively run an offense. There would be a lot of teams that would have to chuck up shots and that would definitely hinder the game. 

This is another big issue.

My son just got done playing 4 years of HS basketball.  I really don't think time to put up a shot is a major issue in HS basketball right now.  In fact, we have a hard enough time to get kids to actually run a play instead of trying to hotdog it like some NBA player they see.

Offenses in HS should be encouraged to be developed instead of pushed out with a shot clock.  Teach the skill of understanding offensive philosophy.  

The only time I see an issue is when one team tries to run out the clock on the last few minutes of half or the game.  So what???  Go play defense or foul them.  Make them shoot free throws to win it?

I just really don't see a need for this.  If they do put this in, it needs to be a lot of time like 40 seconds or more.  DEFINITELY shouldn't be shorter than college.

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is another big issue.

My son just got done playing 4 years of HS basketball.  I really don't think time to put up a shot is a major issue in HS basketball right now.  In fact, we have a hard enough time to get kids to actually run a play instead of trying to hotdog it like some NBA player they see.

Offenses in HS should be encouraged to be developed instead of pushed out with a shot clock.  Teach the skill of understanding offensive philosophy.  

The only time I see an issue is when one team tries to run out the clock on the last few minutes of half or the game.  So what???  Go play defense or foul them.  Make them shoot free throws to win it?

I just really don't see a need for this.  If they do put this in, it needs to be a lot of time like 40 seconds or more.  DEFINITELY shouldn't be shorter than college.

I agree with everything you said. I coach and I'm definitely against a shot clock. It's just not enough of an issue in my mind. I agree that teams just need to learn to get steals or foul if they need the ball at the end of a game. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

In college it is a huge deal if you get 2-3 violations a game.  So I think you are right, in HS it really would not happen as much as some people think,

Yeah, but how many times per game do the Huskers have to chuck up a bad shot just to avoid the shot clock violation?

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes and no.  Every argument for why you don't want the offense to be forced into something has an equal and opposite argument about playing good, hard defense.

You want kids in HS to be learning an offense and learning what is a good shot to take and what not to take.  That is made much more difficult when you then put the pressure in of a shot clock.  HS kids should not be forced into throwing up crappy shots just because a clock is running down.  Make them work the ball with passing and player movement to get open for good fundamental shots.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You want kids in HS to be learning an offense and learning what is a good shot to take and what not to take.  That is made much more difficult when you then put the pressure in of a shot clock.  HS kids should not be forced into throwing up crappy shots just because a clock is running down.  Make them work the ball with passing and player movement to get open for good fundamental shots.

That's fine.  You continue to refuse to acknowledge anything about defense but whatever.

That's fine.  You continue to refuse to acknowledge anything about defense but whatever.

I'm not sure what defense has to do with this.  No matter if you have the shot clock or not, you teach good hard defense.  

Again, from the discussion earlier, this really isn't an issue in HS basketball other than maybe a few minutes through out the entire game.  And, I did acknowledge defense in the following quote.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure what defense has to do with this.  No matter if you have the shot clock or not, you teach good hard defense.  

Again, from the discussion earlier, this really isn't an issue in HS basketball other than maybe a few minutes through out the entire game.  And, I did acknowledge defense in the following quote.

I think that he is saying that a shot clock could reward good defense, which I do agree with. I would only be on board with a shot clock if it was 40 seconds or more. 

And you don't have to be able to have the ball for an extended period of time to teach good offense.  You're always only acknowledging the part of the argument that fits your point of view.

Mentioning the word defense in the context of end-game strategy is not the same thing as including it in the overall discussion of whether a shot clock belongs in the game or not.

And you don't have to be able to have the ball for an extended period of time to teach good offense.  You're always only acknowledging the part of the argument that fits your point of view.

Mentioning the word defense in the context of end-game strategy is not the same thing as including it in the overall discussion of whether a shot clock belongs in the game or not.

Are you trying to say what Sandhill Said?

57 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I think that he is saying that a shot clock could reward good defense, which I do agree with. I would only be on board with a shot clock if it was 40 seconds or more. 

If so, I can see that.  However, like has been said a number of times in the thread, this shot clock is not going to come into play very often in a game.  I think the chance for a total mess up of the clock is not worth what the upside is.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

If so, I can see that.  However, like has been said a number of times in the thread, this shot clock is not going to come into play very often in a game.  I think the chance for a total mess up of the clock is not worth what the upside is.

If it's not going to come into play very much, then why are you so adamant that it's going to mess up kids offensive development?