High School Shot Clock

Should there be a shot clock in high school basketball?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sorry but anyone against implementing a shot clock in HS is delusional. It does nothing but HELP the game of basketball. That is the way it is intended to be played. The flow of the game would be so much better and keeps the crappy teams from holding the ball all the time. I've watched several games this state tournament in Iowa with real low scoring. It shouldn't matter if it only would come up 'x' amount of times during a season. It also rewards teams that play hard defense, no one wants to run around for 50 seconds on a possession.

35 High School (40 girls) 

30 College
24 Pro 

42 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm sorry but anyone against implementing a shot clock in HS is delusional. It does nothing but HELP the game of basketball. That is the way it is intended to be played. The flow of the game would be so much better and keeps the crappy teams from holding the ball all the time. I've watched several games this state tournament in Iowa with real low scoring. It shouldn't matter if it only would come up 'x' amount of times during a season. It also rewards teams that play hard defense, no one wants to run around for 50 seconds on a possession.

35 High School (40 girls) 

30 College
24 Pro 

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that you don't coach. This is wrong for many reasons. I'm not totally against a shot clock but it is far from what you state that it does nothing but help the game. It would only really be an issue of a shot clock violation very few times in the season any way. I would be willing to guess that most high school teams in the state of Nebraska shoot the ball within 40 seconds of their possession at least 90% of the time. I would have said higher, but I think it's at least 90%. The only reason that people dwell on the times that some teams stall is because it is at a point in the game where it is really memorable. As a coach, I encourage my players to get the ball if the other team is stalling. That means go for a steal or get a foul and stop the clock.

54 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that you don't coach. This is wrong for many reasons. I'm not totally against a shot clock but it is far from what you state that it does nothing but help the game. It would only really be an issue of a shot clock violation very few times in the season any way. I would be willing to guess that most high school teams in the state of Nebraska shoot the ball within 40 seconds of their possession at least 90% of the time. I would have said higher, but I think it's at least 90%. The only reason that people dwell on the times that some teams stall is because it is at a point in the game where it is really memorable. As a coach, I encourage my players to get the ball if the other team is stalling. That means go for a steal or get a foul and stop the clock.

I know for a fact that it happens way more often than you think. If you have a 35 second shot clock teams are going to shoot the ball within 30 seconds which only helps the flow of the game as I mentioned before. There have been many many times in on year where a team is up lets say 6 points with under 3 minutes left. The only option is to hope to get a steal otherwise it is a complete foul fest the last several minutes when it shouldn't have to be that way. Shot clock creates more possessions overall for a HS game that only has 8 minute quarters. I don't get why people would be against it when I see 500 positives and little or no negatives. 

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I know for a fact that it happens way more often than you think. If you have a 35 second shot clock teams are going to shoot the ball within 30 seconds which only helps the flow of the game as I mentioned before. There have been many many times in on year where a team is up lets say 6 points with under 3 minutes left. The only option is to hope to get a steal otherwise it is a complete foul fest the last several minutes when it shouldn't have to be that way. Shot clock creates more possessions overall for a HS game that only has 8 minute quarters. I don't get why people would be against it when I see 500 positives and little or no negatives. 

I know for a fact that it happens way less than what you think. There would not be close to 500 positives, there would be 1 which would be that teams couldn't stall as easily at the end of a quarter. If a team is up by 6 with 3 minutes to go and they start to stall, then you go for steals or foul. It's called game play and some teams are better at it than others.

5 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I know for a fact that it happens way less than what you think. There would not be close to 500 positives, there would be 1 which would be that teams couldn't stall as easily at the end of a quarter. If a team is up by 6 with 3 minutes to go and they start to stall, then you go for steals or foul. It's called game play and some teams are better at it than others.

Shouldn't have to come down to that. Teams should have more opportunities like college and the NBA. Only argument I've seen is "doesn't happen often" 

I've watched games on the east coast with it implemented and it makes for a much better game. It will come down the pipe eventually 

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Shouldn't have to come down to that. Teams should have more opportunities like college and the NBA. Only argument I've seen is "doesn't happen often" 

I've watched games on the east coast with it implemented and it makes for a much better game. It will come down the pipe eventually 

I agree with you that it will eventually come to it, I'm just saying that it's not as big of an issue that a lot of people are trying to turn it in to. And even with a shot clock teams will still have the stall game going on at the end of a half and teams will still have to foul or get steals. It happens all the time in college.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

The only option is to hope to get a steal

Isn't that rewarding good defense?

You talked earlier about the need for this because of low scoring games.  Isn't rewarding the defense going to exacerbate that?

Wouldn't you want to promote offenses working to the get best shot they can?

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I coach and my positive for a shot clock would be if it speeds up the game.  I coach reserve...so I want those freaking games over with FAST!  Hahaha

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't that rewarding good defense?

You talked earlier about the need for this because of low scoring games.  Isn't rewarding the defense going to exacerbate that?

Wouldn't you want to promote offenses working to the get best shot they can?

If you play hard defense for 30 seconds and force a bad shot how is that not rewarding? Today, you can do that then the offense throw it back up top and set something else up for another 30 seconds if they wanted to. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you play hard defense for 30 seconds and force a bad shot how is that not rewarding? Today, you can do that then the offense throw it back up top and set something else up for another 30 seconds if they wanted to. 

That scenario happens very few times in a game in HS basketball.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That scenario happens very few times in a game in HS basketball.

I honestly don't get what games ppl watch. I'm not stating teams hold the ball all game but to say very little is def wrong. I've watched 12 state tournament games so far and have seen it plenty of times whether it was the end of the quarter, game, or in between. 

Hell I would even take the ELAM rule over no shot clock. 

41 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I honestly don't get what games ppl watch. I'm not stating teams hold the ball all game but to say very little is def wrong. I've watched 12 state tournament games so far and have seen it plenty of times whether it was the end of the quarter, game, or in between. 

Hell I would even take the ELAM rule over no shot clock. 

My son graduated last year and he played 4 years...year round including AAU.

On average, MAYBE this happens for one possession at the end of each quarter.  I even think that's a stretch.  So, that's 4 possessions per game.  How many possessions do think are in a game?

There 100% needs to be some sort of a shot clock in high school. Some of the shoe circuits in the summer AAU season have adopted a 30 second shot clock. Now not every summer basketball player is going to play in college but lets not hinder the ones that are good enough. 

The biggest adjustment that could be made to help HS hoops is going to either 18 or 20 minute halves or potentially maybe making the switch to 4 10 minute quarters. I think making a change to one of those 2 options would be more beneficial than adding a shot clock. 

• Plus1 1