High School Shot Clock

Should there be a shot clock in high school basketball?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then what’s the problem that people think the shot clock is going to fix?

i personally think they are down from when I was in HS. 

I don't know...I do coach basketball but I honestly don't do a thing.  

But, I do coach football and when I did have to call offense for a few seasons you better believe that f#&%ing play clock was in my head all the time and it made me call plays much faster than I would have liked.  So maybe a shot clock would get teams/coaches to play faster, to take the first good shot they get, no idea.

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

i personally think they are down from when I was in HS. 

I think one of the biggest reasons for lower scores is the amount of zone defense that gets played. That and the 3 pointer or layup mentality that is taking over basketball. Lost is the day of a mid range jump shot. 

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

First, I doubt you are documenting the length of all the possessions you are watching. So it's quite possible it would affect the game more than you realize. 

Second, maybe the games you've seen play faster but that doesn't mean it would affect other games more.

Third, both C-1 semi final games today has the team that was ahead go to a stall game with about five minutes left in the game. And there were a bunch of possessions in all the C-1 games yesterday that were 30+ seconds. So, again, I think it's happening more than you think.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Third, both C-1 semi final games today has the team that was ahead go to a stall game with about five minutes left in the game. And there were a bunch of possessions in all the C-1 games yesterday that were 30+ seconds. So, again, I think it's happening more than you think.

I just finished watching the second half of the Ogallala/NBC game.

Yep, NBC started trying to stall at about that 5 minute mark. But, the shot clock at 35-40 seconds wouldn't have changed much.  I started watching the clock.  First possession, ball got stolen not to long into it.  Then they went through a few possession where the defense broke down so much they had easy layups....again, before the shot clock would be down.  They finally really started stalling with a little over a minute left.  They were up by 20 so who cares?  If it were closer, Ogallala would have been fouling to get the ball which...again....wouldn't cause a need for a shot clock.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

C1 Final

Auburn:  30

North Bend:  29

I guess I don't know but would a shot clock have resulted in more or less scoring?

I watched the whole game and there were only a few times when a shot clock violation would have even happened. I don't think a shot clock would have caused much more scoring, if at all. Both teams shot poorly for most of the first half and both teams looked a little nervous. I didn't get a chance to watch much of the D1 game, but it looked a little more fast pace than C1. 

• Plus1 1

Class B final might have benefited from a shot clock. Most likely would not have gone to OT let alone double OT. End of the first quarter Roncalli held the ball for over 50 seconds leaving 4.5 seconds on the clock. End of game Pius held the ball for over a minute for a last second shot, but Roncalli seemed to let them do that anyway. Then the end of the first OT Pius held the ball for the last 94 seconds. Really good game though.

• Plus1 1