The Cult of Trump & other false loyalties

The cult begins to fall apart when the cult leader is shown to be without clothes.    Interesting war of words between Coulter and Trump.  Coulter and some other hard boarder wallers have abandoned Trump for his failure to back up his campaign promises.  She compares Trump to GHWB's pledge of "No New Taxes"- which caused the election of Clinton when Bush backed away from his promise.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20190311/ann-coulter-rips-shallow-narcissistic-conman-trump-lying-media-at-forum-club

• 1 month later...

Here is a great example of falling into the Cult of Trump via the alt right movement and finding a way out.  This is a very long but enlightening article. 

It shows how a person can fall into a  political cult, how they become entangled, and how only truth can eventually get them out.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rosiegray/katie-mchugh?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The beginning of the article

If you remember Katie McHugh, it’s probably because of the tweets.

A short selection: “British settlers built the USA. ‘Slaves’ built the country much as cows ‘built’ McDonald’s. Amateur…”

“The only way to strike a balance between vigilance, discrimination, (& terror) is to end Muslim immigration.”

"Funny how Europeans assimilated, unlike Third Worlders demanding welfare while raping, killing Americans."

There are many more examples, but this is the big one, the one that ultimately triggered her firing from her job as a writer and editor at Breitbart News in 2017: “There would be no deadly terror attacks in the U.K. if Muslims didn't live there."

If you look at her Twitter feed now, you’ll see that it’s changed. It’s locked, and her bio is blank. Where is McHugh? I can’t tell you, but I’ve seen her lately. The first time we met was late last summer, on the stoop of a house where she was then living in Washington, DC. She looked gaunt and anxious. When I shook her hand, it felt tiny and frail. We sat facing each other across a patio table on a hot, sticky day. She smoked.

I didn’t know what to make of her. This was someone whom I’d known to be a bigot, someone who freely threw around the “cuck” slur and who represented the kind of ideology I have devoted much of my career so far to explaining and exposing. It was a little over a year after Charlottesville. The bad things from the internet had started to come to life, with terrible, violent, and real consequences. It was bizarre to see in person someone who had existed for me only as an online symbol of the very worst parts of contemporary politics.

She was saying she wanted to leave it all behind: her years as a far-right media figure and tweeter, and someone who close observers of right-wing media knew was one of Breitbart’s most obvious connections to the white supremacist core of the alt-right. McHugh had dated Kevin DeAnna, the founder of Youth for Western Civilization, a now-defunct right-wing campus youth group that billed itself as promoting “the survival of

Western Civilization and pride in Western heritage,” but was entwined with the white nationalist movement; Jared Taylor, the self-described “white advocate” founder of American Renaissance, once fundraised for the group. Her disparaging tweets about people of color and Muslims made her stand out even at Steve Bannon’s Breitbart, which had launched Milo Yiannopoulos’s career, had featured a “black crime” tag for stories, and had been described by Bannon himself as a “platform for the alt-right.”

The end of the article:

Knowing exactly what to do with McHugh isn’t easy; but the point is more what she is able to do, not what society is supposed to do for her. She said terrible things and helped empower a destructive social and political movement. She was part of a group of people who took advantage of others’ trust and obliviousness to smuggle racists into polite society. Now, she says, she’s changed. She knows that many people won’t believe that she has. “That’s why I’m saying I take full responsibility for everything I said, every mistake I made, anyone who I hurt in this process, period,” she told me last year.

At age 28, she has made herself unemployable in the career field she chose — even on its fringes. She perpetually struggles to support herself financially. It’s easy to see how someone in McHugh’s position might regret the path she took that got her here. Would she regret it if she still had friends, still had a writing job?

McHugh has a message for the people on a similar path, though, one that can be considered regardless of whether you believe she’s actually changed.

“People like me should be given a chance to recognize how bad this is and that the alt-right is not a replacement for any kind of liberal democracy whatsoever, any kind of system; they have no chance, and they’re just harmful,” McHugh said. “There is forgiveness, there is redemption. You have to own up to what you did and then forcefully reject this and explain to people and tell your story and say, ‘Get out while you can.’”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Former FBI Director James Comey, the target of much of Trump's hate, weighs in on the cult of Trump - why good people get soiled by Trump.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/james-comey-trump-has-eaten-the-soul-of-the-leaders-in-his-administration-2019-05-01?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

‘Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive Mr. Trump, and that adds up to something they will never recover from. It takes character like Mr. Mattis’s to avoid the damage, because Mr. Trump eats your soul in small bites.’

That’s former FBI director James Comey unleashing on Attorney General William Barr; his outgoing deputy, Rod Rosenstein; and others in Trump’s orbit who, in Comey’s view, have compromised their ideals to remain in the president’s good graces.

“It starts with your sitting silent while he lies, both in public and private, making you complicit by your silence,” Comey writes in an op-ed for the New York Times published just as Barr’s televised appearance before the Senate Judiciary Committee got under way. “In meetings with him, his assertions about what ‘everyone thinks’ and what is ‘obviously true’ wash over you, unchallenged.”

Comey asks why Barr, a “bright and accomplished lawyer,” could be swayed to serve as a protector of the president with defenses he would never have used “to justify the thousands of crimes prosecuted every day that are the product of frustration and anger.”

Comey then asks how Rosenstein could feel compelled, upon resigning, to thank a president “who relentlessly attacked both him and the Department of Justice.”

How does it happen? Rationalization, says Comey.

“You are smarter than Donald Trump, and you are playing a long game for your country, so you can pull it off where lesser leaders have failed and gotten fired by tweet,” Comey writes. “Of course, to stay, you must be seen as on his team, so you make further compromises. You use his language, praise his leadership, tout his commitment to values. And then you are lost. He has eaten your soul.”

• 3 months later...

Most cults end when the cult leader dies or  is  proven to be a false prophet or some kind of a hypocrite - all words, no substance or action.  The Cult of Trump will end in the same way.      He will be proven to be shallow, and an emperor without clothes - a CON MAN that he is.

https://theweek.com/articles/858707/everyone-eventually-turn-trump-even-steve-doocy-

The people who are loyal to Trump are loyal not because they like him as a person but because they have something to gain from him. In an interview with The New York Times, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) admitted that he embraced Trump "to try to be relevant." So far, his plan has worked superbly — Graham has a recurring slot on Hannity. Once Trump is gone, however, Graham will no longer need the man he once dismissed as "the world's biggest jackass." He will find someone else to latch onto, and he will forget about Trump just as he forgot about John McCain.

Trump's cult of personality is a cult of power-worshippers. "It is the place and power we bow to, not the man," William Hazlitt wrote in his 1823 essay "On the Spirit of Monarchy." When Trump is deprived of his place and power, people will stop bowing to him.

Trump's post-presidency will be sadder and more pathetic than his presidency. His presidential library will be neither presidential nor a library. His memoir, if someone writes one for him, will be dreadful — ghostwritten, poorly written, replete with falsehoods and errors, and bereft of insights and useful information. His presidential papers will contain such statements as "Horseface"; "trade wars are good, and easy to win"; "a very stable genius"; and "your favorite President, me!" No mainstream public figure will want to be associated with his legacy.

In February, 157 scholars ranked Trump as the third-worst president in U.S. history. And it's not just the eggheads who disapprove of him. According to Gallup, 54 percent of Americans disapprove of his presidency. Trump has averaged the lowest approval rating of any president in history. Unlike his predecessors, Trump doesn't need a war or a recession to be unpopular — he just needs himself. And unlike his predecessors, Trump won't improve his public standing as a private citizen.

• Thanks 1

:yeahJoy's tweet is pretty strong.   She is spot on - you cannot turn many of the Trump voters.  The key is to keep him from gaining any more ground.  Some of those states like Wisc, Mi, Pa, Florida that voted for Trump must be flipped this time around.   My hope is for a landslide not to just humiliate him and to totally denounce Trumpism for what it is - unAmerican,  but also to provide no excuse for his potential claim that the election is rigged.  And also to shut up his cult followers and scatter them to the winds. 

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

:yeahJoy's tweet is pretty strong.   She is spot on - you cannot turn many of the Trump voters.  The key is to keep him from gaining any more ground.  Some of those states like Wisc, Mi, Pa, Florida that voted for Trump must be flipped this time around.   My hope is for a landslide not to just humiliate him and to totally denounce Trumpism for what it is - unAmerican,  but also to provide no excuse for his potential claim that the election is rigged.  And also to shut up his cult followers and scatter them to the winds. 

Trump has some significant influencers supporting him.  I don't know if this falls under "Cult of Trump"......whatever that actually means.....but some influential financial backers of Trump have included names like Ross, Marcus, Kroenke, Ricketts, Coors and Schwab.

Most of these supporters are not vocal but their influence is very significant.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

Trump has some significant influencers supporting him.  I don't know if this falls under "Cult of Trump"......whatever that actually means.....but some influential financial backers of Trump have included names like Ross, Marcus, Kroenke, Ricketts, Coors and Schwab.

Most of these supporters are not vocal but their influence is very significant.

the people who greatly benefited from trumps tax cuts don't give a s#!t about anything else he does.  the white supremicists don't give a s#!t about the tax cuts as long as he gives them a nod and a wink.   and the fox and rush junkies only give a s#!t about what rush and tucker tell them to give a s#!t about.  otherwise most of us give a s#!t about the crap trump does.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, commando said:

the people who greatly benefited from trumps tax cuts don't give a s#!t about anything else he does.

Absolutely untrue.

They are business people who have stakes in policies like regulatory and national and international trade.

But if you mean they want the government to keep their mitts off the successful businesses they've built, I'd agree.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Absolutely untrue.

They are business people who have stakes in policies like regulatory and national and international trade.

But if you mean they want the government to keep their mitts off the successful businesses they've built, I'd agree.

on balance they like the tax cuts more than they hate the tariffs and trade wars

20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Absolutely untrue.

am i also wrong about the white supremacists and fox news junkies?

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You don't know that to be true.

One of Trump's supporters is outspokenly pleased that Trump is taking China head on.

oh....well if there is 1 that means my whole generalization must be wrong.   even though i said on balance they preferred the tax cuts more than they hate the trade war.   

18 minutes ago, commando said:

am i also wrong about the white supremacists and fox news junkies?

oh....well if there is 1 that means my whole generalization must be wrong.   even though i said on balance they preferred the tax cuts more than they hate the trade war.   

I have never watched Fox News and nor do I know what white supremacists are thinking.

There are some successful and influential people who like what Trump is doing with more than just tax cuts.

• Thanks 1