Nebraska Pro Day 2019

10 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Any word on Ober’s 40?

I saw a 4.91 somewhere, but nothing even semi-official looking. That would explain being replaced on punts though, pretty slow for a guy listed at 225. I'm not sure the NFL cares a whole lot about the coverage from long snappers though, and from what I remember the issue wasn't anything to do with his snaps. Nobody drafts a long snapper, but it's not a bad gig if he can grab a job out of camp - have we ever had a long snapper play in the NFL?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I saw a 4.91 somewhere, but nothing even semi-official looking. That would explain being replaced on punts though, pretty slow for a guy listed at 225. I'm not sure the NFL cares a whole lot about the coverage from long snappers though, and from what I remember the issue wasn't anything to do with his snaps. Nobody drafts a long snapper, but it's not a bad gig if he can grab a job out of camp - have we ever had a long snapper play in the NFL?

Adam Treu spent quite a few years in the NFL, but he also played on the regular line and was not exclusively a long-snapper. I'm sure being able to play both roles contributed to his longevity in the league.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

NFL rosters are too small for a specific role like that

29 long snappers are currently under contract in the NFL - pretty much every team has one. Some pull double duty and are backups at other positions, but the majority don't.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/long-snapper/

Also Madden, they list them as TEs and they're all like 40 overall.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

29 long snappers are currently under contract in the NFL - pretty much every team has one. Some pull double duty and are backups at other positions, but the majority don't.

Source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/long-snapper/

Also Madden, they list them as TEs and they're all like 40 overall.

I would have never guessed.... Wonder if these Pro's that are on contract were specific to that position in college or were they good enough to be in the 2-deep for another position - cause JO wasn't seeing the field elsewhere.

If I recall, Riley's staff specifcally recruited Ober for his exceptional long snapping skill and offered a rare scholarship for this position. But then last year he lost the job, because Frost's staff did not think he was getting the snaps to the holder fast enough. Combine that fact with his small size, and it is probably safe to say Ober is not getting a sniff at the NFL. I hope he had a good college experience, got his degree, and has a successful life beyond football.

43 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I would have never guessed.... Wonder if these Pro's that are on contract were specific to that position in college or were they good enough to be in the 2-deep for another position - cause JO wasn't seeing the field elsewhere.

I know the Giant's snapper (deOssie) was a LB at Brown, he actually got drafted. But I think he was drafted as an LB and happened to be good enough as a snapper to hang on - not sure what the norm is. Nice to have another LB on your coverage team though, he can hit.

18 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If I recall, Riley's staff specifcally recruited Ober for his exceptional long snapping skill and offered a rare scholarship for this position. But then last year he lost the job, because Frost's staff did not think he was getting the snaps to the holder fast enough. Combine that fact with his small size, and it is probably safe to say Ober is not getting a sniff at the NFL. I hope he had a good college experience, got his degree, and has a successful life beyond football.

I think it was Ober wasn't getting down the field fast enough to contribute to the punt coverage, his snaps were fine. But you're right he's undersized, and speed will still be a problem in the NFL. I just don't ever see NFL snappers making tackles or contributing to the kick coverage, so I wonder if they only care about snap speed/accuracy where Ober might be good. There are snappers listed at 235, so depending on whether he's put on weight that could be fine - they can't hit snappers anymore anyway, he doesn't have to block.

Bottom line though, I have no idea how to evaluate long snappers and am basing his shot entirely on the fact that he's been training to snap since high school. Teams don't change snappers a lot though, I think the benefit of consistency with who you've got outweighs any potential benefit of a slightly better snapper.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

The Bears had the same long snapper for like 17 years.... that's all he did