Changes on offense 2019

29 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would agree if we had more than 4 starters returning on offense. 

Jaimes 

wilson

farinouk 

speilman

martinez

stoll

warner

mo Washington - 2 games 

your number is off

while Warner and stoll aren’t great

they know the system and can fill in until someone behind them develops enough to step in 

mo is a game changer and moving Farniok inside will pay dividends 

look for Benhardt  to come on strong late while Gaylord keeps the seat warm for him 

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I would agree if we had more than 4 starters returning on offense. 

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's possible for players to graduate and the team still improves drastically in year 2.  Honestly it happens a lot,.

I think their going to see big improvement simply because the program, as a whole, is going to be in year two of the staff.  The vast majority of the there 7 starters will have been in the program learning the system, lifting, conditioning, getting mentally tough...etc. even though they weren't starting.  Frost himself said that day one of Spring camp was totally different because they weren't having to tell guys where to go, how to stretch...etc.  All of that is going to speed up learning over the next 5 months.

• Fire 1

I just don't get why people are so hung up on the graduations.  It happens, quite literally, every year.  To every program.  Programs trending up, programs trending down and programs staying their respective course.  It is not the make or break.  It's not like there aren't just as talented or MORE talented guys ready to step up and shine.  It's not like we are starting over again, most of these guys were here last year lol.

That's not to say we won't miss the production and leadership of Ozigbo and Morgan.  But they are replaceable because of one major factor.  They have to be replaceable.  And the next guys, they will be replaceable too.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 3
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost himself said that day one of Spring camp was totally different because they weren't having to tell guys where to go, how to stretch...etc.  All of that is going to speed up learning over the next 5 months.

Yeah, it’s huge. Heupel said last year that he was being taught how to practice by UCF’s players, that’s how ingrained their habits had become. I think that is a remarkable compliment.

Just from an installation standpoint, year 1 is like 1 guy teaching 50. Year 2 is like 50 teaching 1. The average team improves by just over 2 games in year 2. Pretty significant when most teams changed coaches because they had to fire the last one!

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

Jaimes 

wilson

farinouk 

speilman

martinez

stoll

warner

mo Washington - 2 games 

your number is off

while Warner and stoll aren’t great

they know the system and can fill in until someone behind them develops enough to step in 

mo is a game changer and moving Farniok inside will pay dividends 

Yea, Warner doesn't count, and Washington might not even be eligible. I'll give you Wilson, though. 

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's possible for players to graduate and the team still improves drastically in year 2.  Honestly it happens a lot,.

I don't disagree with this at all, especially if guys like McQuitty, Williams and Woodyard finally click, and the offensive line gets rebuilt. 

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

I just don't get why people are so hung up on the graduations.  It happens, quite literally, every year.  To every program.  Programs trending up, programs trending down and programs staying their respective course.  It is not the make or break.  It's not like there aren't just as talented or MORE talented guys ready to step up and shine.  It's not like we are starting over again, most of these guys were here last year lol.

That's not to say we won't miss the production and leadership of Ozigbo and Morgan.  But they are replaceable because of one major factor.  They have to be replaceable.  And the next guys, they will be replaceable too.

I don't get it either.  I remember someone proclaimed in a recruiting thread that we need to recruit some major WRs in this cycle because we have very few on the roster with starting experience.

That comment makes no sense to me.  Just because the players on the roster have never started, doesn't mean they aren't good players ready to step up.  AND.....what really makes it a head scratcher....the newly recruited players don't have any starts either.  So......

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't disagree with this at all, especially if guys like McQuitty, Williams and Woodyard finally click, and the offensive line gets rebuilt. 

That's basically what I'm counting on.  The last crew of starters took half a season to start clicking.  The new batch should have better chemistry, better understanding and be more capable out the gate physically.

23 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

one of the toughest things a lb has to do is to discern 

is this tight end blocking me or going out for a pass or both add in a play action possible run fit and the lbs brain is spinning like a top

Stoll is functional in this regard, he’s just not going to get downfield the way Akins could. 

Just now, Redux said:

That's basically what I'm counting on.  The last crew of starters took half a season to start clicking.  The new batch should have better chemistry, better understanding and be more capable out the gate physically.

I've got high hopes for Williams and Woodyard, but not much for McQuitty at this point; I can't remember which writer said this on the radio, but he's apparently got a hard time reading and interpreting the playbook. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I've got high hopes for Williams and Woodyard, but not much for McQuitty at this point; I can't remember which writer said this on the radio, but he's apparently got a hard time reading and interpreting the playbook. 

Could end up being a bust, could end up being one of those guys that struggles with the X's and O's but is clutch on the field.  Some guys just click in the moment.  Fingers crossed.

11 minutes ago, Redux said:

I agree for the most part, but Frost took over a program where he hasn't been recruiting for the past 5 years. Cupboards are pretty bare - relying on a lot of young guys which will be fine down the road.

Ultimately, I am not, and will not worry about the offense. Our teams will go as far as our defense will allow us to. People can talk about pass rush etc all they want but to win the B10 you have to have tough nose guys who can take on blocks and tackle. We got ran over several times last year against good opponents. 

Michigan Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Karan Higdon 12 136 11.3 1 46

Wisconsin Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Jonathan Taylor 24 221 9.2 3

Ohio State Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
J.K. Dobbins 23 163 7.1 3

Iowa Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Mekhi Sargent 26 173 6.7 1 32

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I’m always dubious of these claims, not the least of which because the “playbook” these days is largely video cut ups. 

There could be a learning disability with regards to syntax, but these are often throw away rumors, too.

16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

People can talk about pass rush etc all they want but to win the B10 you have to have tough nose guys who can take on blocks and tackle. We got ran over several times last year against good opponents. 

We need more guys that can get off a block. Plenty of them were already blocked.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I forsee a quantum leap on offense this season. One key to the leap will be consistency. We were very explosive at times last season, but we would sputter for a quarter at a time and it would kill us. I see us being much more efficient this year and that will help everyone out. 

In addition to, or related to, sometimes taking a quarter off, the points did not match the offensive production. We had some games with 500 yards, but only scored in the 20s, when we should be scoring 40 with that kind of production. Given that we lost so many games by a close margin, if those issues on offense get ironed out, we are winning a whole lot more.

An experienced quarterback, a comfortable coaching staff who did not have to start from scratch, and (hopefully) not missing out on the first game of the season will all translate into a much sharper looking team. Even with a very marginal improvement on Defense and special teams, as long as the offense is rolling, we are going to win a hell of a lot of games. 

Image result for quantum leap gif

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, brophog said:

We don’t have that TE. Tried this last year, Stoll just doesn’t have the giddy up and the blocking drops off dramatically with Allen/Rafdal. 

You are right, though, this is an important part of this offense. Frost spends a lot of effort getting defenders to vacate the middle of the field and one of the easiest ways to capitalize on that is with a TE. If we don’t get more production out of the tight ends, he won’t hesitate to use less 11 personnel. 

Maybe Keterian Legrone will emerge as that guy