Changes on offense 2019

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I agree for the most part, but Frost took over a program where he hasn't been recruiting for the past 5 years. Cupboards are pretty bare - relying on a lot of young guys which will be fine down the road.

Ultimately, I am not, and will not worry about the offense. Our teams will go as far as our defense will allow us to. People can talk about pass rush etc all they want but to win the B10 you have to have tough nose guys who can take on blocks and tackle. We got ran over several times last year against good opponents. 

Michigan Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Karan Higdon 12 136 11.3 1 46

Wisconsin Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Jonathan Taylor 24 221 9.2 3

Ohio State Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
J.K. Dobbins 23 163 7.1 3

Iowa Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Mekhi Sargent 26 173 6.7 1 32

Excellent post. Anyone who thinks we’ll win more than 8 needs to read this over and over again until you remember how pathetic we were against the run at times. I don’t care how good the offense is. If they can’t get on the field because the D can’t stop the damn run, we will be lucky to win half our B1G games. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Yea, Warner doesn't count, and Washington might not even be eligible. I'll give you Wilson, though. 

We have 7 players who started and 8 who played a bunch on offense

we won’t need to worry about offense

robinson is going to have a monster year

the only players frost really hyped last year were Martinez and Washington which panned out

he is hyping Robinson which means ink him in as a starter and big contributor

we only need 1 more contributor out of :

mcquitty 

miles jones 

woodyard

nance

We can cobble a te our of:

stoll

allen

legrone

Rafdal 

at rb we will be fine:

washington

mills 

bradley

Johnson 

mazur 

17 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

at rb we will be fine:

washington

mills 

bradley

Johnson 

mazur 

Ideally that's the case, but Washington is up in the air and not everyone is super confident Mills makes it. Bradley was nowhere to be seen last year, so if we're down to Johnson and Mazour I'm a lot less confident. I'm aware the odds are Washington plays and Mills does show up, but there are plenty of reasons RB may not be a huge strength. Legitimate cause for concern,  but it may end up being totally fine.

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Ideally that's the case, but Washington is up in the air and not everyone is super confident Mills makes it. Bradley was nowhere to be seen last year, so if we're down to Johnson and Mazour I'm a lot less confident. I'm aware the odds are Washington plays and Mills does show up, but there are plenty of reasons RB may not be a huge strength. Legitimate cause for concern,  but it may end up being totally fine.

It will be more than fine

washington plays - may miss opener

bradley will be fine had personal issue that got ironed out

mills makes it- Frost has had success in figuring out who can make it in or not

i was highly sceptical of Washington’s eligibility last year- he made it 

remember

robinson and jones rotate into the backfield as well on the hybrid rb position 

offense is fine

defense is the concern 

7 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

It will be more than fine

washington plays - may miss opener

bradley will be fine had personal issue that got ironed out

mills makes it- Frost has had success in figuring out who can make it in or not

i was highly sceptical of Washington’s eligibility last year- he made it 

remember

robinson and jones rotate into the backfield as well on the hybrid rb position 

offense is fine

defense is the concern 

Unfortunately crap happens. Injuries, transfers, arrests or other legal issues.  I think your banking on best possible case scenario regarding the offense.  The defense is still a huge concern and will need to take a huge step forward for us to be in the conversation for being a West Division contender.  Too many are assuming we’ll make a 2nd year UCF type leap. That isn’t happening in the Big Ten. 

• Plus1 1

Glad you guys do all this stressing so Frost has time to just coach...  The nervous tension is increasing!  Just think, we only have about 175 days until our next game.  I have zero stress- I am confident we are going to be better than last year and take a significant step forward.  I'm not sure if that means 7 wins or 10 but I know it will be a lot more fun to watch.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Glad you guys do all this stressing so Frost has time to just coach...  The nervous tension is increasing!  Just think, we only have about 175 days until our next game.  I have zero stress-   

No stress here either. I just want improvements on both sides of the ball. I think we’ll see that, but I finally convinced myself to ignore preseason hype about unproven players and the potential of the team to be really good. I used to do that and got burned every year. We’re on the way back to being contenders, but it’s going to take time and I’m good with that. 

7 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Can the season just start already!!! 

There should be a spring football season well as the fall football season.  Then there can be bowl games in the north in June, even one at Memorial Stadium (The Bugeater Bowl!).

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Too many are assuming we’ll make a 2nd year UCF type leap. That isn’t happening in the Big Ten. 

Remember entering last season when I said Purdue would have about the same record as the year before, even though I expected them to play much better? That’s because the previous year they were really overrated, their performance was no where near their win total. So when they improved their performance, the expected win total didn’t change much because it just kinda corrected for the flukiness of the year before.

Nebraska was the opposite last year, the performance was better than the win total. So it’s nowhere near the jump it seems just looking at  the record. A 4-6 win improvement on paper looks huge, but it wouldn’t take a lot of improvement to get there because last year’s record is so deceiving. That’s exactly why so many outlets are putting Nebraska on Top 25 lists.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that the defense has to make that leap, but defenses in college football make huge swings in either direction all of the time. Defenses are very swingy both because turnovers themselves are swingy but also because small mistakes get hugely amplified. How many times do you see a guy run for 40 when he should have been tackled for 3? Little things on that side have big implications.

• Plus1 3
48 minutes ago, brophog said:

Remember entering last season when I said Purdue would have about the same record as the year before, even though I expected them to play much better? That’s because the previous year they were really overrated, their performance was no where near their win total. So when they improved their performance, the expected win total didn’t change much because it just kinda corrected for the flukiness of the year before.

Nebraska was the opposite last year, the performance was better than the win total. So it’s nowhere near the jump it seems just looking at  the record. A 4-6 win improvement on paper looks huge, but it wouldn’t take a lot of improvement to get there because last year’s record is so deceiving. That’s exactly why so many outlets are putting Nebraska on Top 25 lists.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that the defense has to make that leap, but defenses in college football make huge swings in either direction all of the time. Defenses are very swingy both because turnovers themselves are swingy but also because small mistakes get hugely amplified. How many times do you see a guy run for 40 when he should have been tackled for 3? Little things on that side have big implications.

Most of our losses felt like they were winnable or very close to it, which was a lot different feeling than the previous year.

And I don't think the defense has to improve much for us to get several more wins. I think they need to improve from pathetic to bad.

• Plus1 1

Frost doesn’t look exhausted right now like he did last year at this time. Last year at this time he had a new baby, moved, gave up his previous program, recruited late, met and did dozens of appearances, all the hype etc etc....

and his staff too. He looks comfortable, rested, and sharp. That alone will translate down to the team. Everyone will be more comfortable and ready. 

The offense will be way way better. Add it up, check the boxes, move the pieces, score more and often...

i ageee, it’s all about how the defense improves. We know the offense will be better, and continue to get better. How the defense does will determine if his regime will have championship level goals. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2