Changes on offense 2019

5 hours ago, brophog said:

Remember entering last season when I said Purdue would have about the same record as the year before, even though I expected them to play much better? That’s because the previous year they were really overrated, their performance was no where near their win total. So when they improved their performance, the expected win total didn’t change much because it just kinda corrected for the flukiness of the year before.

Nebraska was the opposite last year, the performance was better than the win total. So it’s nowhere near the jump it seems just looking at  the record. A 4-6 win improvement on paper looks huge, but it wouldn’t take a lot of improvement to get there because last year’s record is so deceiving. That’s exactly why so many outlets are putting Nebraska on Top 25 lists.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that the defense has to make that leap, but defenses in college football make huge swings in either direction all of the time. Defenses are very swingy both because turnovers themselves are swingy but also because small mistakes get hugely amplified. How many times do you see a guy run for 40 when he should have been tackled for 3? Little things on that side have big implications.

Agreed

in 2018 we were better than our record indicated- we will net up several wins just because of that in 2019

in 2017 our record reflected who we were

the following year we had the same record but much better point differential

in 2016 our record overstated how good we were- the following year we netted down 5 games 

in 2015 our record understated how good we were the next year we netted up 3 more wins 

over time the “ luck” factor evens out 

22 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

These holes need to be filled: (that's what she said)

Ozigbo: 1,082 rushing yards 12 TD. Not as concerned if Washington is able to play mixed with Mills and co. 

Morgan: 1,004 receiving yards 7 TD. This one is tougher to replace as outside of JD our next leading WR had 122 receiving yards...

agree, there is no Morgan like receiver on the horizon.......JD is it.........Warner is a possession guy at best.......Wan Dale will be heavily used out of the slot.

6 hours ago, I am I said:

Frost doesn’t look exhausted right now like he did last year at this time. Last year at this time he had a new baby, moved, gave up his previous program, recruited late, met and did dozens of appearances, all the hype etc etc....

and his staff too. He looks comfortable, rested, and sharp. That alone will translate down to the team. Everyone will be more comfortable and ready. 

The offense will be way way better. Add it up, check the boxes, move the pieces, score more and often...

i ageee, it’s all about how the defense improves. We know the offense will be better, and continue to get better. How the defense does will determine if his regime will have championship level goals. 

Frost is looking more comfortable.........he is aware of what positions are weak and he will adjust. we really need some wide outs and a great TE.

18 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Unfortunately crap happens. Injuries, transfers, arrests or other legal issues.  I think your banking on best possible case scenario regarding the offense.  The defense is still a huge concern and will need to take a huge step forward for us to be in the conversation for being a West Division contender.  Too many are assuming we’ll make a 2nd year UCF type leap. That isn’t happening in the Big Ten. 

The defense needs to be top 40 to win the B1G with this offense. The defense simply needs to be better than last year for NU to win the division.  You vastly overstate the competition in the west.  Wisconsin took a big step back on defense, Iowa and NW are who they are, very beatable even for a poor NU team last year. 

Everyone talks about "we can't stop the run! They'll hold the ball for 45 minutes!". Sure that is possible but very unlikely. What happens when Wisconsin is down by 13 and forced to take shots? Not every possesion will be 15 plays, 75 yards and 10 minutes. Yes we need to stop the run better, but we don't have to be Alabama to beat the west teams, that's ridiculous.

The best coaches always make leaps in year 2, Frost already did it once. I'm not saying 12-0, but 10-2 and winning the west is right there for this team.

• Plus1 2

I think reciever will sort itself out. Last year makes the situation look dire, but I think guys like M Williams and Woodyard will contribute now that they have a year in the system. McQuitty was just a RS frosh last year, I like his chances to have a break out season. By all accounts Andre Hunt practiced well throughout his time here and I expect him to make some plays as well. Alot of factors made it tough for someone to emerge last season. Freshman QB, new scheme, some of the guys its a new team and on top of all of that we had 2 established playmakers at WR. Sometimes it can be hard to break out when you are breaking out into a role position. Another year of S&C and run block coaching and guys they didn't feel comfortable playing last year may be on the field alot.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think reciever will sort itself out. Last year make the situation look dire, but I think guys like M Williams and Woodyard will contribute now that they have a year in the system. McQuitty was just a RS frosb last year, I like his chances to have a break out season. By all accounts Andre Hunt practiced well throughout his time here and I expect him to make some plays as well. Alot of factors made it tough for someone to emerge last season. Freshman QB, new scheme, some of the guys its a new team and on top of all of that we had 2 established playmakers at WR. Sometimes it can be hard to break out when you are breaking out into a role position. Another year of S&C and run block coaching and guys they didn't feel comfortable playong last year may be on the field alot.

You can count me as surprised if Woodyard ever makes an impact at Nebraska. I think Mike Williams will have an okay year, and while I'm not real optimistic on McQuitty, I'm not willing to rule him out. I think Warner and Robinson have as good a chance as anyone to be our #2 receiver in 2019 (Stoll would be my guess at being #2 in receptions)

On 3/8/2019 at 6:48 AM, OTHusker said:

The playbook will open up

with the recruited speed expect more long tds

this year 2 frost film shows frost getting his team into plays where the defense has little chance due to x and os advantages, taking advantage of coverages, reads and alignments

were going to see lots of false pulls and window dressing this season

I'm gonna just throw in a little objectivity here. The defenses that the UCF Year Two team faced are not as good as the defenses Frost's team will face this season. So while I think that you're right that the playbook will open up and we'll see Scott's offensive mind create more and more mismatches, I'm personally not expecting UCF's 2017 results.

I know you didn't say to expect UCF's 2017 results. I'm adding that part. I realize your point was to talk about the offensive playbook creating better and better chances for us. Good post all around.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, GamingGlen said:

There should be a spring football season well as the fall football season.  Then there can be bowl games in the north in June, even one at Memorial Stadium (The Bugeater Bowl!).

You mean "The Dorothy Lynch Salad Dressing Bugeater Bowl presented by TurboTax"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You can count me as surprised if Woodyard ever makes an impact at Nebraska. I think Mike Williams will have an okay year, and while I'm not real optimistic on McQuitty, I'm not willing to rule him out. I think Warner and Robinson have as good a chance as anyone to be our #2 receiver in 2019 (Stoll would be my guess at being #2 in receptions)

Listening to the Spring presser it seems to me like Woodyard will have a chance. Frost was saying he was behind last season only making it for fall camp, and Walters really stressed that they don't put guys on the field unless they can block because its a liability on many plays they run. I think Robinson will be an impact guy but I think we get an Ozigbo type performance from one of our recievers. We won't see them coming but by years end we will know they are here.

• Plus1 1

Fair enough undone 

offensively in the aggregate nu will be better even with the loss of Morgan and oz

quarterback group nets up significantly 

all 3 have another year in even though bunch and vedral showed little 

mccaffery is coaches kid, good arm, smart, very good feet and here this spring- he’s going to be very good 

martinez will make huge jump in year 2

rbs- 

mills is proven d1 real deal, Washington 1 year in weights and diet shows, Bradley over his personal issues, Robinson and jones get reps in the hybrid spot and Johnson looks very promising 

even with loss of oz this aggregate group nets up 

robinson is Washington on steroids here- crazy difficult threat at rb and he’s here for spring unlike Washington last year 

ol- 

3 legit starters back that showed good progress as season progressed, Farniok moving inside helps 

Gaylord keeps seat warm for benhardt who works his way in to start midseason

center spot should hold serve with HIxson or Miller 

year in s&c helps this unit and dL more than any. 2020 class looks promising at this position group

we hold serve here 

need to win big here in 2020 class 

rec-

spielman and Robinson will be terrors

frost and staff have only hyped Martinez and washington

both were real deals- so is Robinson 

theyve been hyping him a bit- that means he will be immediate contributor 

expect jones, Woodyard, mcquitty or nance to be that third contributor 

Warner will be extra

on the aggregate this group of 3-4  nets up slightly- we still need big dude

te-

we can cobble together in the aggregate the te this team needs 

this group nets up- no losses 

stoll/ blocks well catching separating not so much 

allen- if he blocks better becomes insanely potent weapon- very underrated as athlete - kid can ball 

legrone- size and speed 

hickman- needs a year to heal and develop 

rafdal- size anc speed 

Absolutely on the schedule

no meat grinder

great back and forth on home and away

tough and not so tough games 

excellent set up to get our online squared away and working well as a unit

chances to see our backups get a few meaningful snaps prior to osu

moderste test from Colorado prior to playing the big osu boys 

even if we stub our toe against osu

That isn’t a have to game

these are the have to games:

colorado

minnesota

northwestern 

then 1 of these

purdue

iowa

then we toss the dice and maybe steal a win from Wisconsin or osu if not 

not a big deal in year 2 

51 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Listening to the Spring presser it seems to me like Woodyard will have a chance. Frost was saying he was behind last season only making it for fall camp, and Walters really stressed that they don't put guys on the field unless they can block because its a liability on many plays they run. I think Robinson will be an impact guy but I think we get an Ozigbo type performance from one of our recievers. We won't see them coming but by years end we will know they are here.

I don't doubt they'll give him every chance to succeed, I just don't think it'll happen. I'm rooting for him, he just didn't look like he belonged last year, and that was him as a junior. If I had to pick one that would step up it would be Mike Williams. He showed signs last year.

• Plus1 1