Changes on offense 2019

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't doubt they'll give him every chance to succeed, I just don't think it'll happen. I'm rooting for him, he just didn't look like he belonged last year, and that was him as a junior. If I had to pick one that would step up it would be Mike Williams. He showed signs last year.

And maybe it won't be Woodyard, I just wouldn't count him out. The way this staff can develop talent I expect somebody we weren't sure about to play very well this season.

This years on the field results are going to be key if nu is going to truly be relevant in the next decade

no matter how great the coaching is we are going to need to have a few luckily dominos fall in order to get real good real quick

a mini perfect storm of sorts could really jump start the program and could be brewing right now 

2020 has a number of real game changing big men in the 4-5 star range within the 500 mile radius

and combine that with 5 quality locAls we snagged last year and a couple of descent local gets this coming year 

corcoron  4-5 star ol from kc

humacher- 4 star dL from sd 

rodengarten/ 4 Star ot from Co 

atterberry- 4 star ot from co

all seem to be very interested with nu in the lead with 2

and then 2 four star receivers from Omaha 

nebraskas great teams of 93-97

had some very special kids From afar that decided to come here teamed with a bunch of local and regional talent

Get to 9 wins

lock down 4 four star linemen from 500 mild radius 

put together top 14 recruiting class

and were back into consistent league contention 

by year 4 of this 

plenty of 4 star kids and well developed others to consistently compete in the big 

heck when was the last time we even were able to Land 10 four stars let alone keep them? imagine when we have 4 classes of those kids suiting up

5 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm gonna just throw in a little objectivity here. The defenses that the UCF Year Two team faced are not as good as the defenses Frost's team will face this season. So while I think that you're right that the playbook will open up and we'll see Scott's offensive mind create more and more mismatches, I'm personally not expecting UCF's 2017 results.

I know you didn't say to expect UCF's 2017 results. I'm adding that part. I realize your point was to talk about the offensive playbook creating better and better chances for us. Good post all around.

The part he bolded was happening last year, just not as consistent. We went over 600 yards twice in league, and nearly a third time.  Taking away the two Michigan/St games (which we don’t play this year) and only Iowa kept us under 450 in league (without Spielman). Even in that game, some of the types of matchups being described burned them.

That’s why Martinez is getting such incredible Heisman odds. It doesn’t take much of anything in regards to improvement, and certainly not the level UCF needed in 2017, before the top blows off this thing. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, runningblind said:

You vastly overstate the competition in the west.  Wisconsin took a big step back on defense, Iowa and NW are who they are, very beatable even for a poor NU team last year.

You do realize we lost to all three of these teams last season and also Purdue.  How exactly is that vastly overstating the competition in the west?  Are all four of these teams going to suck this year?  Were not the only team that may improve in 2019.  

I know everyone's excited about Frost and the new staff and culture, etc. and I am too, but we still have to beat the teams we have struggled against in the past couple years.  There's also a mental aspect doing to that.  Are we there yet?  I don't know.

The West is going to be wide open this year.  If our D and ST don't step up, winning the West seems very unlikely IMO.  Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and NW all had superior defenses last year.

13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You do realize we lost to all three of these teams last season and also Purdue.  How exactly is that vastly overstating the competition in the west?  Are all four of these teams going to suck this year?  Were not the only team that may improve in 2019.  

I do realize that a 4-8 NU team lost to all 4 yes,  3 on the road, 2 by walk off field goals.  We get three of the 4 in Lincoln in 2019.  NW lost a 4 year starting qb. Iowa loses both starting D ends and an all everything safety, plus two all conference TEs.  Wisconsin slipped on D, then lost their top LBs and will probably start a freshman at QB.  Purdue also lost their longtime QB.  Minny might be the actual most improved team. 

Year two should be a positive step for the defense simply from experience.  Nose tackle is much better off this year than last,  and I think LB is too.  CB is the same,  safety is a question but no one in the west slings it around a ton.  They also played from behind all year last year.  If this offense gets early some leads instead, that changes the outlook for the defense in that game. 

Combine all that with another offseason of learning for Martinez and things set up very well for Nebraska in the west. 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

The West is going to be wide open this year.  If our D and ST don't step up, winning the West seems very unlikely IMO.  Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa and NW all had superior defenses last year.

No doubt those units must be much better, regardless of the offense. Part of the reason the offense failed to score more points is due to field position. No offense is going to score at a high rate going 80-90 yards every drive. 

I also wouldn’t sleep on the Big Ten West. Everyone is improving, and recruiting is up. Everyone has cash for coaches and facility upgrades. Yes, teams like Wisconsin and NW are changing QBs but to more talented ones. The division may beat up on each other, but as a whole is the best it’s been since it was formed. 

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I do realize that a 4-8 NU team lost to all 4 yes,  3 on the road, 2 by walk off field goals.  We get three of the 4 in Lincoln in 2019.  NW lost a 4 year starting qb. Iowa loses both starting D ends and an all everything safety, plus two all conference TEs.  Wisconsin slipped on D, then lost their top LBs and will probably start a freshman at QB.  Purdue also lost their longtime QB.  Minny might be the actual most improved team. 

Year two should be a positive step for the defense simply from experience.  Nose tackle is much better off this year than last,  and I think LB is too.  CB is the same,  safety is a question but no one in the west slings it around a ton.  They also played from behind all year last year.  If this offense gets early some leads instead, that changes the outlook for the defense in that game. 

Combine all that with another offseason of learning for Martinez and things set up very well for Nebraska in the west. 

You make some good points about how things seem to set up for us nicely on paper.  I just need to see it to believe it.  On scarlet and cream colored paper, we've won 3 or 4 B1G West titles so far since joining the league.  Unfortunately we know what really has happened.  Frost and co. will get this thing turned around, I'm just skeptical that it's going to happen in year 2.  I hope I'm wrong and we clobber the entire West division, but this is the Big Ten.  It doesn't work that way.  Wisconsin has been rolling too long to drop off too far.  Iowa and NW will probably always play us tough no matter where the games are played.  That's just what they do to Big Ten teams.  Purdue losing their QB will be significant, but they have a very good coaching staff.  I guess I don't get all the KoolAid drinking right now, but It's spring ball time, so maybe thats it.

24 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You make some good points about how things seem to set up for us nicely on paper.  I just need to see it to believe it.  On scarlet and cream colored paper, we've won 3 or 4 B1G West titles so far since joining the league.  Unfortunately we know what really has happened.  Frost and co. will get this thing turned around, I'm just skeptical that it's going to happen in year 2.  I hope I'm wrong and we clobber the entire West division, but this is the Big Ten.  It doesn't work that way.  Wisconsin has been rolling too long to drop off too far.  Iowa and NW will probably always play us tough no matter where the games are played.  That's just what they do to Big Ten teams.  Purdue losing their QB will be significant, but they have a very good coaching staff.  I guess I don't get all the KoolAid drinking right now, but It's spring ball time, so maybe thats it.

To be fair this is where elite coaches seperate themselves. Not only that but elite quarterbacks as well. We feel we have both and that brings alot of excitement. Ultimately I think this year will play out somewhere inbetween the skeptical and the kool aid pumpers, but there is reason for the koolaid. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I for one have never thought our coaching or our team were remotely good enough to win the big under smilin 

Mike or pelini

how in the world could anyone ever have confidence a career .500 coach would ever win anything? 

there was zero history under them

no clear vision

no reasonably believable credible strategy

no unity of purpose

weak admin too

with the current staff and direction I can see it happening

under Riley I never had any remote even drunken stouper thoughts of coming close to a division title

even with every possible break goinv our way 

Under pelini a bit more competitive but no illusions of winning it 

these guys

yes very possible 

they are the real deal

They get Nebraska 

and no one outworks them

kids respect them 

• Fire 1

We lost a lot of known productivity in Oz and Stan.  All I know is we need skill players to step up.  On paper we appear to have a lot more potential than going into last year......We need the OL to step up....We also need to start beating Wisky, Iowa on the regular.  And start putting Purdue and NW in the rear view.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, lo country said:

All I know is we need skill players to step up.  On paper we appear to have a lot more potential than going into last year.

Cant exaggerate this enough. The third leading wide receiver last year was Warner with 17 receptions and only 5.6 ypc. That average should be twice that. The lack of threats last year meant it wasn’t as hard as it should be for opponents to play man coverage.

This has an impact on the running game, too. If you don’t fear the deep threat it’s a lot easier to bring one or both safeties near the line. When we really needed to run the ball last year, that’s exactly what happened.

If only a couple of these young speedsters can come online it becomes very hard for Big Ten West teams to match that much speed. That forces defenses to play more zone and that then opens up the QB runs and all of the flood type concepts Frost loves.

• Plus1 3