Before we fire Miles.....

As Nebraska limps down the stretch, due to injuries and negative momentum, Husker fans are getting ready to hear the words, "Tim Miles has been fired." And while that's understandable at every level, it occurs to me that Nebraska should stop and determine why this didn't work out. Did the University of Nebraska support Tim in all of the ways that it could? What's the difference between Tim's struggles and Doc's struggles?

I get we want to fire Tim Miles because of how this season went.... horrid.... when it was felt that this was the year for the Huskers to make a positive push.

But if you don't know what you did wrong in the past, then you can't get the next hire right either.

And if you truly want this basketball program to succeed, and an analysis of the facts indicates that the University of Nebraska could do more to help Miles, then don't fire him, support him.

And when you do come out with a statement of support for the guy, be clear as to why and what you are going to do going forward.

• Plus1 1

Well it’s on him and him alone. 

Dude can’t recruit 

has no offense planning 

has no control over his team 

no teaching skills 

meanwhile Nebraska gave him 

a new shinny arena 

money 

more money 

some of the best facilities in the big ten 

Moos gave him an extra year to drive the Cadillac into the dance and he drove it off the cliff....blindfolded.  

I really don’t know what Nebraska could have done. 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

Started by not giving Chin a position on the staff

Failed to hire a competent offensive coaching mind when Smith left

Twice hitched his wagon to one player causing rifts amongst the team

wont talk about his inability to get a formidable big man, but will talk about his refusal to cater to the roster of players he had(going fast, full court, all game)

Game prep and in game adjustments........yeah right

Here’s your shovel Tim keep on diggin

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

If and that is a Huge IF, all the underclassmen came back next year, then add the recruits coming in, Roby is I believe the only player taller than 6'6",  We thought this year was a mess, see what next year would be. It might be a mess for whoever is coaching unless he can get about 8 immediately eligible transfers.

Probably for the best. Does Nebraska really want their first NCAA tournament win tied to Tim Miles. A guy who has, is, and will always be a .500 win coach in the Big Leagues. Not to mention there's probably a better chance of Nebraska falling into the ocean than Miles winning a tournament game. It's better to part ways with Tim after this season and go get a coach who can get Nebraska that tournament win and at least maintain a .600 winning percentage. Hell if Nebraska gets a coach who can do that, that coach will probably get a statue someday.  

5 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Probably for the best. Does Nebraska really want their first NCAA tournament win tied to Tim Miles. A guy who has, is, and will always be a .500 win coach in the Big Leagues. Not to mention there's probably a better chance of Nebraska falling into the ocean than Miles winning a tournament game. It's better to part ways with Tim after this season and go get a coach who can get Nebraska that tournament win and at least maintain a .600 winning percentage. Hell if Nebraska gets a coach who can do that, that coach will probably get a statue someday.  

Take away that run he had s few years ago and he’s way under 500. 

Fair points and ones that I am well aware of...

I just figured that an examination of the program from inside the program might provide a fresh perspective that I am never going to be privileged to see. Here's hoping that such an examination is undertaken by the leadership of the athletic department and that the resulting decisions put the program in position for a sustainable and satisfying success rate.

• Fire 1