Commute to work threshold: Time/Distance

Lived in Denver only had a 12 mile commute to work.  Took anywhere from 30 to 45 min in a good day to an hour and a half if there was an accident or snow.  Dont miss that part of no longer living there.  

After moving back to Nebraska had a 48 mile commute for a few months took 45 min everyday.

When I used to live in the Denver area, I would often have a 30 minute commute to work, and about 45 minutes back home with the thicker traffic. On one hand, I enjoyed the drive because it gave me time to think, and time to listen to some good radio and audio books. It was also before I had kids, so I was not really pressed for other commitments. But it got old after a while. 

I live in a much smaller town now, 5 minutes from work. Even though I am not particularly fond of small towns, the short commute has spoiled me. If I moved back to a bigger city and had to go back to a longer commute now, it would probably frustrate the hell out of me.

Yeah anything longer than 30 minutes is going to be tough for me unless it's highway driving where I can blast versus stop and go traffic which puts me on mega tilt.  I'm at a 10 minute commute right now and that's cutting through midtown Omaha at rush hour.  Hard to imagine anything else.

In the past I've done a daily 70 mile 1 hour commute. It didn't seem that bad because it was at highway speeds but it did get old. Currently it is across town and takes between 15 and 25 minutes depending on time and traffic, maybe 30 minutes if there's an accident or people that shouldn't be driving in adverse conditions freaking out over a little ice or snow. I've recently begun taking a "slower" route that avoids the insanity of a couple more major roads. It's more relaxing.

When I lived in Phoenix my commute was 20 miles. It took about an hour in the morning and anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours at night. I think it's why I lost my hair :lol:

It was even the worse the week of the Super Bowl. I had a 3+ hour drive home one night.

I used to drive 45 miles 1 way or 90 miles round trip to work.  I did this for 15 years.  Never minded the drive, because it was highway driving with very little traffic.  I was a teacher and the morning drive was good to let me think about the day and the evening drive was good to unwind after the day.  The only  time I didn't like it was when I got home late from a sporting event.  That would happen 4-5 times a year.  

I hate traffic, so commuting in any amount of stop and go just frustrates me and I end up all stressed out by the time I get home. My worst commute was about 30 miles across Denver, which took 40 minutes with no traffic, about 1.5 hours with normal traffic, and 3+ hours with accidents on a couple major roads. Fortunately, my last several jobs have been mostly working from home and/or flexible hours so I'd go into the office after the morning rush and before the evening rush.

1.2 miles and 2-3 minutes commute

One teacher lives across the street from the school.

Band teacher lives 1 block away - and drives!

In the 90s I lived in Chalco Hills (south of Millard South Indians) and taught at Elkhorn Mt. Micheal. It was 20 minutes commute my first year.  8 years later it was 40 minutes.  I bet its over an hour now.

17 minutes ago, huKSer said:

1.2 miles and 2-3 minutes commute

One teacher lives across the street from the school.

Band teacher lives 1 block away - and drives!

In the 90s I lived in Chalco Hills (south of Millard South Indians) and taught at Elkhorn Mt. Micheal. It was 20 minutes commute my first year.  8 years later it was 40 minutes.  I bet its over an hour now.

Ha...You must know/remember Jim "Killer" Kane...

Sort of an odd situation, where he lived on campus and had that lady that was like...her servant/girlfriend/?

Haven't had a 9-5 job in over two years now. When I did (technically was 30 hours a week) it was about a 30 minute drive out to the suburbs for work and a 45-50 minute drive back into the city when I got home. Otherwise, my daily commute is usually to the closest starbucks :lol:

I did work for Wilson Sporting goods the last few months of 2018 down in the loop of Chicago. That one was a bit rough, 45 minutes each way of bumper to bumper.

Out of college, my first job had me driving an hour each way. You get used to it and its not that big of deal. 

When we last east lived in Des Moines my wife drove 45 minutes each way. 

My brother knew a lawyer who worked on Wall Street and commuted 2.5 hours each way every single day. She was home at 10:30 till 5:00 when she left again. 

We moved back to central Nebraska and we live 10 minutes from work and I have two stop signs on my way and might have to wait for the wild turkeys to cross the road.   I have people asking me how I can enjoy such a long drive. 

Its all a matter of persception and what you value. 

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Haven't had a 9-5 job in over two years now. When I did (technically was 30 hours a week) it was about a 30 minute drive out to the suburbs for work and a 45-50 minute drive back into the city when I got home. Otherwise, my daily commute is usually to the closest starbucks :lol:

I did work for Wilson Sporting goods the last few months of 2018 down in the loop of Chicago. That one was a bit rough, 45 minutes each way of bumper to bumper.

Why didn’t you use the train?