Commute to work threshold: Time/Distance

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why didn’t you use the train?

I didn't live in a great area for commuting at the time, and I had my parking reimbursed. Would've taken me about an hour and a half by bus/train, which was already a reason not to if I didn't have to pay for parking, but I also occasionally suffer from motion sickness. Not that often, but juuuuust often enough to make it really annoying to consistently rely on public transpo.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, teachercd said:

Ha...You must know/remember Jim "Killer" Kane...

Sort of an odd situation, where he lived on campus and had that lady that was like...her servant/girlfriend/?

Yes I was a freshman football coach for him.  Ever been in a gym class where NO ONE talked AT ALL?  All you heard was foot steps and basketballs bouncing

I had to commute to Omaha from Lincoln for about a week once. It was OK until I got to the interchange in Omaha to head downtown. All in all, it was a little more than an hour and 15 minutes. I'm stunned by the people who make that drive daily and don't go crazy.

But, I also never understood one of my friends who lived in L.A. for awhile and had one of those infamous 3 hour in, 3 hour out commutes every single day. I just do not get that.

My current commute now is about 20.

Currently about 20 mil/ 30 minute each way. I do travel east and the sun can sometimes be an issue.

I use to work downtown Minneapolis but I took a bus. It was a solid 50-60 minutes each way but I slept or played on my phone for most of it. 

My wife had a 55 mile commute for a while that was about an hour and 15 minutes each way. I dont know how she put up with that. 

I would probably want my daily average to be 45 min and under if possible. 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, GSG said:

When I lived in Phoenix my commute was 20 miles. It took about an hour in the morning and anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours at night. I think it's why I lost my hair :lol:

It was even the worse the week of the Super Bowl. I had a 3+ hour drive home one night.

I left my job in DT minneapolis prior to the Super Bowl coming out here last year but I heard it was HELL. Basically all the parking most businesses had they lost.. a lot of my old co workers just worked remote. They said it was AWFUL downtown. 

I am south of minneapolis now in Edina and I felt it ramp up a bit but it wasnt horrible.

Minnesota traffic can get really bad but thankfully I just miss the nasty stuff. If my office was just two more miles east I bet it would add 15 more minutes though. 

11 miles, usually takes about 15 minutes unless there is a train. I work in the old stockyards/industrial area in Sioux City, so I drive over tracks on three of the four ways into the area. So if there's a train on each track, I have to go all the way around, so that takes an additional 5-10 minutes.

22 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

11 miles, usually takes about 15 minutes unless there is a train. I work in the old stockyards/industrial area in Sioux City, so I drive over tracks on three of the four ways into the area. So if there's a train on each track, I have to go all the way around, so that takes an additional 5-10 minutes.

That would really trigger me not knowing on a daily basis whether my route to work would be the same as yesterday's. Props to ya.