OMG (Aunt) Becky! - College Admissions Cheating Scandal

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

In the article it says his sister got a 23 on her ACT and they upped it to 35.

Which isn't a terrible score. I'm sure they could have just donated money directly to the school and they would have found a way to get her in.

Laughing at this whole thing ‘cause it involves Aunt Becky is fine for us but I kinda wish the media would put the more important part in the headlines which is the involvement of people at those schools.

He told investigators that Rudolph "Rudy" Meredith, the head women's soccer coach at Yale University, had sought a bribe in return for getting his daughter into the Ivy League school, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The article at the top says the schools don’t appear to have been involved but their employees were.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/14/us/college-cheating-scam-how-authorities-found-out/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

Something I just thought about...it seems like I hear/read all the time about these actors/actresses that not only had crazy high test scores but always went to amazing colleges, so it makes me wonder how far back this goes, how many years.

And on another note...

I get the "American Royalty" that get into Harvard and Yale and Princeton because of who they are...if I am working at one of those schools I would much rather have a Kennedy or Bush or Insert Last Name Here than not have them.  So I totally get that part, from a "business" standpoint it makes sense.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, teachercd said:

Something I just thought about...it seems like I hear/read all the time about these actors/actresses that not only had crazy high test scores but always went to amazing colleges, so it makes me wonder how far back this goes, how many years.

And on another note...

I get the "American Royalty" that get into Harvard and Yale and Princeton because of who they are...if I am working at one of those schools I would much rather have a Kennedy or Bush or Insert Last Name Here than not have them.  So I totally get that part, from a "business" standpoint it makes sense.

Like it or not, money and prestige are a major part of our higher education. Those are much more important factors in how it all works as opposed to actually educating people. Sure many go to college to learn and prepare but the whole system is tilted towards generating income, coddling the rich and famous, indoctrinating a certain mindset and perpetuating the whole deal to bolster the next generation that benefits from that process. Personally I have no use for it ....except if you don't participate in the game, you stand a higher chance of losing income and job opportunity. The whole deal is an elaborate scam.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Like it or not, money and prestige are a major part of our higher education. Those are much more important factors in how it all works as opposed to actually educating people. Sure many go to college to learn and prepare but the whole system is tilted towards generating income, coddling the rich and famous, indoctrinating a certain mindset and perpetuating the whole deal to bolster the next generation that benefits from that process. Personally I have no use for it ....except if you don't participate in the game, you stand a higher chance of losing income and job opportunity. The whole deal is an elaborate scam.

I hear that!

I don't have use for it either...but then again my last name doesn't do me any favors!  Hahah

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure on this part.

I may have used a little hyperbole but I don't think there is any denying a strong general left lean in our higher education institutes. So, "indoctrinating" may be a reach but it definitely favors a certain outlook.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I may have used a little hyperbole but I don't think there is any denying a strong general left lean in our higher education institutes. So, "indoctrinating" may be a reach but it definitely favors a certain outlook.

Only in the humanities, and even then only really badly in coastal elite schools (for the most part, generalizing some). 

• 3 weeks later...