OMG (Aunt) Becky! - College Admissions Cheating Scandal

On 3/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, JJ Husker said:

I may have used a little hyperbole but I don't think there is any denying a strong general left lean in our higher education institutes. So, "indoctrinating" may be a reach but it definitely favors a certain outlook.

I disagree.  By attending college or any higher learning, (or even by moving out of state) being exposed to other races, religions, cultures and ideas one might actually being to think through the “why’s” behind their beliefs much more so than someone who stays in their home town and has a more limited expanse of exposure.  

Most every course I took in college was totally fact based (biology, history, foreign language).  There was room for personal thought and opinion in psychology, philosophy, creative writing etc depending on your major - but there was no push for a certain leaning.  

But, I did meet my first jewish person in college.  I did have a friend who came out in college.  I did meet people from other states and races and income levels in college.  My experiences were significantly more diverse after 4 years in Lincoln than my peers who stayed in the 5k town we grew up in.  And those experiences grew more vast as I moved to a big midwestern city and then on to the east coast. 

Its much easier to be empathetic and open to new ideas when it becomes real to you. When you know someone who is impacted.  I doubt my belief in same sex marriage would be as strong if I didn't know gay people, my friends who were impacted.  Im not sure that Id question the death penalty if I didn't leave NE. 

I think those who say colleges are turning people into liberals are pretty naive and sheltered. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I disagree.  By attending college or any higher learning, (or even by moving out of state) being exposed to other races, religions, cultures and ideas one might actually being to think through the “why’s” behind their beliefs much more so than someone who stays in their home town and has a more limited expanse of exposure.  

Most every course I took in college was totally fact based (biology, history, foreign language).  There was room for personal thought and opinion in psychology, philosophy, creative writing etc depending on your major - but there was no push for a certain leaning.  

But, I did meet my first jewish person in college.  I did have a friend who came out in college.  I did meet people from other states and races and income levels in college.  My experiences were significantly more diverse after 4 years in Lincoln than my peers who stayed in the 5k town we grew up in.  And those experiences grew more vast as I moved to a big midwestern city and then on to the east coast. 

Its much easier to be empathetic and open to new ideas when it becomes real to you. When you know someone who is impacted.  I doubt my belief in same sex marriage would be as strong if I didn't know gay people, my friends who were impacted.  Im not sure that Id question the death penalty if I didn't leave NE. 

I think those who say colleges are turning people into liberals are pretty naive and sheltered. 

I didn't say colleges are turning people into liberals. I said there is a strong general left lean in our higher education institutes. I don't disagree with anything you said but none of that has anything to do with what I claimed.

If we're dealing in anecdotes, I had quite a few professors who were noticably very liberal and very Democrat and anti-conservative. The two best examples were my Anthropology and Political Science profs at UNL. In many classes there really isn't much opportunity for the instructor to interject their opinion or their feelings because, like you said, they're dealing with fact based curriculum. 

I suppose it could be hard to recognize and acknowledge what I did claim when your world view is more closely aligned to the liberal left lean we are talking about. I'm not even saying it's good or bad, just that it exists.  It's a good thing for people to be exposed to a broad range of thoughts and ideas, particularly in college. It's maybe not so good when a large spectrum of those ideas are ignored or ridiculed with regularity.

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I didn't say colleges are turning people into liberals. I said there is a strong general left lean in our higher education institutes. I don't disagree with anything you said but none of that has anything to do with what I claimed.

If we're dealing in anecdotes, I had quite a few professors who were noticably very liberal and very Democrat and anti-conservative. The two best examples were my Anthropology and Political Science profs at UNL. In many classes there really isn't much opportunity for the instructor to interject their opinion or their feelings because, like you said, they're dealing with fact based curriculum. 

I suppose it could be hard to recognize and acknowledge what I did claim when your world view is more closely aligned to the liberal left lean we are talking about. I'm not even saying it's good or bad, just that it exists.  It's a good thing for people to be exposed to a broad range of thoughts and ideas, particularly in college. It's maybe not so good when a large spectrum of those ideas are ignored or ridiculed with regularity.

Nicely put JJ - Thank you.

Side note - is it your daughter that is at UNL?  Is she excited about the game today?  WIll it be her first?

57 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Nicely put JJ - Thank you.

Side note - is it your daughter that is at UNL?  Is she excited about the game today?  WIll it be her first?

Her "first game" was the Akron game last season :( but she had fun singing and dancing in the thunderstorm. She hasn't been to a spring game yet and that won't change today. Her Actuarial Science group is at Drake University this weekend. If she wouldn't have had that scheduled, I'd probably have made the trip this weekend.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Her "first game" was the Akron game last season :( but she had fun singing and dancing in the thunderstorm. She hasn't been to a spring game yet and that won't change today. Her Actuarial Science group is at Drake University this weekend. If she wouldn't have had that scheduled, I'd probably have made the trip this weekend.

Classic....kid makes up a "school thing" so that the parents stay home!

• 1 month later...

The Mastermind Behind The College Admissions Scandal Used To Be A Crazy Middle School Basketball Coach

The members of a middle school basketball team that represented a Jewish Community Center in Omaha, Nebraska, were not expecting the 2001 season to be an auspicious one. The previous season had produced mediocre results, and there was no reason to expect much of an improvement going forward. That all changed, however, when a mysterious coach with no obvious ties to the community center showed up, and made it his mission to whip the boys into shape.

“He was an enigma to everybody,” recalls point guard Spencer Gallner.

The mystery man embodied an archetype that should be familiar to anyone who ever played youth sports. He was too intense, too competitive, and too over-the-top to be taken seriously in retrospect. Many of the kids he coached are now men who live in Nebraska and the Midwest, and over the years they’ve joked with each other about that memorable season, wondering what happened to their “crazy” basketball coach. They couldn’t believe it when their old coach, Rick Singer, went from a punchline to a headline.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are you F'ing kidding me?  She's an elite rowing athlete because she uses a rowing machine in their home gym?

Sorry, she deserves everything she gets.....along with everyone else.

Hahaha!  I know, it is amazing what these morons will do instead of just like...you know...trying!

53 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hahaha!  I know, it is amazing what these morons will do instead of just like...you know...trying!

These kids are going to make great contributions to society.:facepalm:  The parents had 500k to spend on college and these Mensa members just couldn’t get into a school with their own grades or accomplishments. Instead of bribing and cheating, the parents shoulda kicked them out of the house. But based on what the parents did, we know why the kids don’t have a clue how to do anything on their own. I think the poor parenting bothers me more than the college scandal.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

These kids are going to make great contributions to society.:facepalm:  The parents had 500k to spend on college and these Mensa members just couldn’t get into a school with their own grades or accomplishments. Instead of bribing and cheating, the parents shoulda kicked them out of the house. But based on what the parents did, we know why the kids don’t have a clue how to do anything on their own. I think the poor parenting bothers me more than the college scandal.

The crazy thing is...these kids almost always go to high schools that are (wink wink) designed to get these kids into "those" schools.  

These parents are insane.

• Plus1 1
  • 8 months later...