DDPY and yoga

Just going to say off the get-go I'm not trying to hock anything, yoga is just always something that's appealed to me despite inexperience and this particular program stuck out to me.

Heard DDP on Todd n Tyler a while back calling it to promote his new autobiography. He mentioned this program and it intrigued me because he marketed it as yoga for guys who wouldn't be caught dead doing yoga. I hit the Youtube and saw a couple pretty phenomenal success stories, found an introductory workout and decided to try it out.

I can say it's been pretty great so far. My flexibility has always been nonexistent but I have come a long ways in 3 weeks so far. Most of the workouts are a hybrid of strength/flexibility/cardio - I think it's going to be useful for dropping a few lbs, which is another goal of mine. Tonight we did a really chill balance-focused one which was a nice change of pace but challenging in its own right.

If somebody asked me I'd probably recommend it. Apparently DDP has utilized it training some current wrestlers and pro athletes who swear by it. But I also enjoy traditional yoga and the peace and focus you can get out of specific poses and progressions.As somebody who has been a weight-lifting meathead for as long as I can remember, I'm long overdue getting some balance into my life and working on what I suck at.

Anybody ever heard of DDPY or into traditional yoga?

• Plus1 2

I’ve never tried any kind of yoga, but I know of DDPY as I watch a lot of workout videos on YouTube and I was also a pretty big wrestling fan in the 90s. Saw DDP give his pitch on Shark Tank too. 

I’ve been considering giving it a try and saved a couple videos I found. Did you buy the whole program? How often do you do it? Do you still lift between sessions?

Five of my friends and two future roommates work at DDP Yoga. Most of them also worked on the Resurrection of Jake the Snake documentary. I've been there a ton of times. Can speak secondhand (first hand witness of other people) how worthwhile and life changing it can be for people. The underlying approach and philosophy saved the lives of Jake the Snake and Scott Hall, and I've seen the program itself help at least half a dozen people lose well over 100+ pounds and really take their lives back.

No reason for me to endorse it other than having seen it have a tremendous impact. Never cared about wrestling, didn't know who he was before becoming friends with people who worked for him, don't even do it myself although I'm about to. But full 100% endorsement.

• Plus1 1

Can't speak to DDP, but I've done yoga for more than 20 years.  I go through spurts of absence but I always come back.  And there are typically always a couple men or two in class.  There should be more - you just need to find the right style, and the right studio.  I hated the idea of being judged or feeling like I had to compete with the person next to me, and the right place/instructor makes that a non issue.  It's 75 mins of forced mindfulness and stretching.  If you're thinking about it you should try it.  And give it 4-5 sessions at least.  Some days you'll do better than others, but you'll feel better.  Some studios offer "Bro-ga" if you're really nervous that's a great place to start, don't mess around with any "hot" or baptiste yoga, it's all show.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Five of my friends and two future roommates work at DDP Yoga. Most of them also worked on the Resurrection of Jake the Snake documentary. I've been there a ton of times. Can speak secondhand (first hand witness of other people) how worthwhile and life changing it can be for people. The underlying approach and philosophy saved the lives of Jake the Snake and Scott Hall, and I've seen the program itself help at least half a dozen people lose well over 100+ pounds and really take their lives back.

No reason for me to endorse it other than having seen it have a tremendous impact. Never cared about wrestling, didn't know who he was before becoming friends with people who worked for him, don't even do it myself although I'm about to. But full 100% endorsement.

That's really cool. You should try to get an autograph from Dallas saying "Go Big Red" and post it here.

• Haha 1

Yoga has helped me immensely.  With strength in stabilizer muscles I rarely use in my regular workouts and flexibility that's helped my running a decent amount.  My wife got me into it.  She's a freaking animal at yoga.  I still suck pretty bad at it but I can tell I've become better since I started about a year ago.  Power yoga is no joke.  Very cool to see DDP doing.  Never heard of it before.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Ulty said:

I’ve never tried any kind of yoga, but I know of DDPY as I watch a lot of workout videos on YouTube and I was also a pretty big wrestling fan in the 90s. Saw DDP give his pitch on Shark Tank too. 

I’ve been considering giving it a try and saved a couple videos I found. Did you buy the whole program? How often do you do it? Do you still lift between sessions? 

He's got different packages you can buy with different types of workouts depending on your current level of function and how much challenge you want. I went with the MAX pack which ran 80 bucks but came with a bunch of workouts. It also came with a 3 month free membership to their app which is pretty nice. It has a ton of workouts, including live ones once per week, in addition to other activity/food tracking stuff. It's configured to work with a bluetooth heart rate monitor if you're so inclined.

The thing I really like about it is they're super encouraging about doing what's right for your own body and fitness levels. So they've got modifications if you've got a bad back, bad knees - pretty much whatever. You can find a way to do everything.

They include a recommended schedule with plenty of days off - typically it's 4-5 days a week. You can absolutely lift as well, as long as you're not too sore.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Landlord said:

The underlying approach and philosophy saved the lives of Jake the Snake and Scott Hall, and I've seen the program itself help at least half a dozen people lose well over 100+ pounds and really take their lives back. 

Man, sounds like you've got some pretty cool connections to the place.

The fact it's helped those guys as well as some of the success videos I've seen it no joke. Both of those guys were in rough, rough shape prior to DDP helping them turn things around. The pictures of Scott Hall when he was really hurting compared to what I remember from him wrestling still blow my mind.

scotthall.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bump.

This thread went dormant a long time ago but I've been getting more consistent with my DDPY stuff during the Covid era and it's been quite rewarding. I do feel I'm starting to get back in better shape after not doing much of anything physically after our gym shut down a while ago. I've been going on more walks and jogs recently as well. My cardio still sucks big time.

What's everyone else doing to stay in shape right now?

12 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Bump.

This thread went dormant a long time ago but I've been getting more consistent with my DDPY stuff during the Covid era and it's been quite rewarding. I do feel I'm starting to get back in better shape after not doing much of anything physically after our gym shut down a while ago. I've been going on more walks and jogs recently as well. My cardio still sucks big time.

What's everyone else doing to stay in shape right now?

My wife was doing some Barre classes before the shutdown; she's got access to their digital archive, and I've been doing some of them with her, along with riding our exercise bike and doing some free weight work. I'm also going to do the 100 pushups workout again. It's been a long time since I've done it, but it works; I was able to get up to about 120 pushups the last time I committed to it. 

55 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

My wife was doing some Barre classes before the shutdown; she's got access to their digital archive, and I've been doing some of them with her, along with riding our exercise bike and doing some free weight work. I'm also going to do the 100 pushups workout again. It's been a long time since I've done it, but it works; I was able to get up to about 120 pushups the last time I committed to it. 

That pushup thing sounds like a good idea. I've been missing free weights since the gym closed. Ultimately I'd like to get a home power rack and some adjustable dumbbells. The DDPY incorporates some slow, controlled pushups but I might have to try adding that in as well.