How’s Miles Jones Doing?

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is a general comment, because it isn’t just you,

but I don’t understand why people get attached to certain players before they ever do anything on the college level. Maybe he just sucks at this level. Or maybe he’s gonna be really good this year. But he hasn’t done anything, so I don’t get why quite a few people ask about him. At least with the kbb candyman guy Taylor was from his high school.

I guess I don't see any issue generally wondering how a certain player is doing. Seems like a fair talking point. Unless OP has a habit of bringing up Jones...

kbb always thought Taylor wasn't getting a fair shake, so that was just irritating. I don't think that's the case with Jones (just as I didn't think that was the case with Taylor).

As a general rule of thumb, OP, not hearing anything about a specific player likely means they haven't made a noticeable impact yet. Or, they haven't made an impact relative to the standard of other players being talked about. He's a young player and it might take him some more time to develop.

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, Enhance said:

I guess I don't see any issue generally wondering how a certain player is doing. Seems like a fair talking point. Unless OP has a habit of bringing up Jones...

kbb always thought Taylor wasn't getting a fair shake, so that was just irritating. I don't think that's the case with Jones (just as I didn't think that was the case with Taylor).

As a general rule of thumb, OP, not hearing anything about a specific player likely means they haven't made a noticeable impact yet. Or, they haven't made an impact relative to the standard of other players being talked about. He's a young player and it might take him some more time to develop.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I have an “issue” with it, and I obviously don’t mind the posts.

It’s just something I don’t get about people - getting attached to players who were good at football in high school and following them/getting concerned as they don’t play. Although I suppose if Wandale never sees the field I might wonder about that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we still haven’t heard about him this spring, it appears that both Wan ‘Dale and Brody may be ahead of Miles. So you wonder if after the Spring Game or after the first four games in the fall if he will transfer.  Could he still not be fully healthy?

13 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Now that we still haven’t heard about him this spring, it appears that both Wan ‘Dale and Brody may be ahead of Miles. So you wonder if after the Spring Game or after the first four games in the fall if he will transfer.  Could he still not be fully healthy?

Could it be a big miss by Nebraska?

I think it's very possibly a health issue, but it's just as likely that he's still really young and learning at a slower pace than some others.  I still hope to see him contribute.

6 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Could it be a big miss by Nebraska?

I think it's very possibly a health issue, but it's just as likely that he's still really young and learning at a slower pace than some others.  I still hope to see him contribute.

The dude has been on campus less than a year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

... that's basically what I said.  He's obviously behind Wandale, but that isn't saying much.

And the other comment was directed at the Boise State fan who has since left.

I was just responding to your question. From my perspective, some guys take years to contribute at a high level. For example, Ozigbo, Lamar Jackson finally coming along the last half of the season, etc. 

It's too early to even pose the question.

• Plus1 1

As others have said, I'm in wait and see mode with Jones. Still very early, he is working with WR's, just because we aren't hearing much now doesn't mean he won't contribute. If he is awol during the season I may become slightly concerned. If we don't hear about him at all going into his RS Soph year (2020) then maybe we can collectively start asking where is Miles Jones? But for now I say give the kid some time.

10 hours ago, Pedro G said:

It's a huge leap from a few "Belt looks pretty good" comments to "Belt is ahead of Jones." I was also under the impression Belt is a RB doing a little Duck-R stuff, and Jones a WR doing a little bit of RB stuff. I don't think they're competing for the same spot on the depth chart.

I do believe Belt will contribute in his career, but I will be shocked if he's in the mix for playing time once we have more than 1 scholarship full participant at RB. It does not bode well for an offensive jump in year 2 if Belt is playing a lot of meaningful snaps as a rFr, no disrespect intended.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

It's a huge leap from a few "Belt looks pretty good" comments to "Belt is ahead of Jones." I was also under the impression Belt is a RB doing a little Duck-R stuff, and Jones a WR doing a little bit of RB stuff. I don't think they're competing for the same spot on the depth chart.

I do believe Belt will contribute in his career, but I will be shocked if he's in the mix for playing time once we have more than 1 scholarship full participant at RB. It does not bode well for an offensive jump in year 2 if Belt is playing a lot of meaningful snaps as a rFr, no disrespect intended.

Fill me in on who is Belt? A walk on? 

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think they're competing for the same spot on the depth chart.

Depth charts are completely meaningless for this staff. They have literally said they only put one out for media and fans. They’ve also said that guys like Jones and Robinson, both R guys, could be used at the same time. Frost has specifically said he just wants 5 threats.

Backs, receivers, even tight ends are mostly interchangeable. The offense is malleable enough to handle a lot of combinations.

Specifically on Jones: Getting opportunities when out there, but like many of the other backs, battling nagging injuries. Most of those guys have missed at least some time, giving opportunities to guys like Belt.

Specifically to Belt: As said about Mazour, these stories are nice and I hope these kinds of players can get their moment in the sun. However, with the kind of talent we are getting at the skill positions that moment should be when the score don’t matter. Write all the stories about him in the spring, that’s what it’s for. 

Hail Varsity explained pretty good on Jones’ status today. He sat out the first two weeks of practice so his shoulder could totally heal. Then he comes back and hurts his ankle. So finally maybe now the coaches can see what he can do. He is still compared to Otis Anderson. If he and Robinson are both healthy enough for Saturday, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the two. 

• Plus1 1