Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... those have been our best players.  I would think more of them would be a good thing.

But they're not JUCOs

Building the team with Petteway and Palmer, Jr. as the star players wasn't the problem.  I would want those type of players on my roster any year.  The problem was Miles lack of ability to recruit and/or develop players around them.  

I get Fred had some good assistants at Iowa State, but he recruited 3 kids who are in the NBA. Also had transfers who made the NBA 

Royce White - NBA

Chris Babb - NBA

Deonte Burton - Currently in the NBA

Naz Long - Currently NBA

Georges Niang - Currently in the NBA

Monte Morris - Currently in the NBA

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would be thrilled with Hoiberg.  I don't care if he "doesn't like to recruit" as some have posted.  The guy won at Iowa State and I think he could win at Nebraska.  I don't care how he would get it done, I just want to see a winning program.  Are NU basketball fans in a spot to complain about how Hoiberg would build a winning program?  If Hoiberg were able to make a few NCAA tournament appearances and win one or two NCAA tourney games, he would be the best coach in Nebrasketball history.

This hire is such a homerun that it is hard to even understand.  

1.  He coaches a fast fun entertaining type of offense

2.  He doesn't really give a f#&% about defense but really who care as long as you score more points

3.  Sure he hates recruiting but I am guessing 95% of coaches hate it, it doesn't mean he wasn't decent at it.

4.  I am jealous of this hire, as an Illini fan, this makes me jealous.

• Plus1 4

I just want a coach who can coach.

I certainly would prefer 4-year style guys but at the end of the day, just win!

Know your system and recruit players to that system. 

Miles biggest problem was he wasnt always great at recruiting guys who fit to his system.... too often he let it become "hero" ball where on guy (Petteway/Palmer) dribble around by himself and try to make something happen.

He only seemed to be able to recruit slashers. 

I hope it is Hoiberg. His name alone should be able to attract some talent.... One wrinkle i do think might be interesting is D'Wayne Wade.

Wade didnt do well with Hoiberg as a coach and Wade's son is looking at Nebraska. You dont not hire him because of that but we have enjoyed some of the hype Wade has brought in. 

Just now, teachercd said:

2.  He doesn't really give a f#&% about defense but really who care as long as you score more points

3.  Sure he hates recruiting but I am guessing 95% of coaches hate it, it doesn't mean he wasn't decent at it.

4.  I am jealous of this hire, as an Illini fan, this makes me jealous.

Follow-up to your post:

1)  Players would rather play in a fast, fun entertaining offense than a slow-it-down and grind-it-out offense.

2)  There are enough defense oriented teams in the Big Ten, I don't have a problem with being an offensive focused team.  They will be an outlier in the conference.

3)  Hire assistant coaches who are stud recruiters, that's what the best coaches do anyway.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Building the team with Petteway and Palmer, Jr. as the star players wasn't the problem.  I would want those type of players on my roster any year.  The problem was Miles lack of ability to recruit and/or develop players around them.  

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

giphy.gif

Hahahaha!!!

I don't get why fans don't want scorers who can go for 25-30 on a given night and carry a team to victory.  Yes, we shouldn't expect that to be the norm, but that's where the rest of the roster needs to be built up or have a good coach to figure things out when the #1 is slightly off for that game.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

giphy.gif

In 2012-13 Iowa State had the #2 scoring offense in the country (Iona was #1).  In 2013-14 they were #5.  In 2014-15 they were #12.  Only in 2014-15 were there any Power 5 schools ahead of them and they were still #3 among that group.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

giphy.gif

In 2012-13 Iowa State had the #2 scoring offense in the country (Iona was #1).  In 2013-14 they were #5.  In 2014-15 they were #12.  Only in 2014-15 were there any Power 5 schools ahead of them and they were still #3 among that group.

I didn't even know it was that impressive.  This is such an amazing hire (assuming it is true)

• Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach