Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

14 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

So is Burke leaving if Miles leaves?

Would it really matter?

There is not one person on the team that is going to make/break next season.  

If Fred ends up with the job...in 3 years at this time you will be filling out a bracket and finding ways as to how the 6 seed Huskers will make it to the sweet 16.

18 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I doubt it, he is a transfer with 2 years left and red-shirted last year.  Would you transfer with the Mayor coming in?

That's one, but he mentioned "lots of".

Maybe Nana had conflicts with "lots of" teammates or Burke is exaggerating.

34 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Craig Smith carried Miles....I think this is pretty evident. 

Offensively, maybe. Defensively I think Miles is fairly decent. 

Part of the problem was Jim Molinari was brought in and he never has been an offensive mind. He has helped with defense but the other guys they have brought in are more recruiters it seems like. They never brought in a guy who Miles could trust to let lose on the offense. 

I certainly agree Smith is a better coach.

17 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Maybe Nana had conflicts with "lots of" teammates or Burke is exaggerating.

I hope Nana is gone.

I am not sure about other players leaving. I hope we can maintain some of the recruits but I am very ok with a blow it up sense to get the right guys for Fred's system.

Like with anything, it will take some time but wait and see. 

Obviously, I hope the new coach (Fred) can keep the players he wants on the team.  It would be great if everyone stayed, bought in and Hoiburg raised their level of play to contribute to a good season next year.  I also hope that he can keep the recruits Miles has recruited and add to them.

That said, I stopped stressing about players leaving during a coaching change a long time ago.  Players have to do what is best for them.  If they feel they don't want to play for one of the top two coaches on the market in front of a packed house of loyal fans every night...well....I wish you well.

I would hope they give the new coach at least a chance to talk to them before just packing up their bags and leaving.  We saw an amazing turn over of the roster on the football side.  That's even easier to do for basketball simply because of the number of players that transfer every year and how few are on each team.  It's possible to come into next year with a much better roster but totally different.

• Fire 1

Just to add to my last post.

Think about this.  If a player leaves early, that can negatively affect the team maybe 1 to 2 years.  If you get the right coach, that positively affects the team for many years down the road.

I'll error on getting the right coach every time even if I lose a few players in doing so.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Good point BRB...

Also...fans need to stop acting like the Skers might lose LeBron, MJ, Pip and George Muresan.  

I'd say Nana, Burke & Thor can go.  I think Thor could be helpful off the bench his senior year, Nana seems to have issues if he's not playing as much as he thinks he should.  No real clue what Burke can to at this level.

The rest I'd like to see what a new coach can do with them (Roby included).  I think Roby & Allen can be leaders if they stick around & I'm curious about Harris & Heiman.  Not sure about Davis since he sat out injured all year.

23 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I'd say Nana, Burke & Thor can go.  I think Thor could be helpful off the bench his senior year, Nana seems to have issues if he's not playing as much as he thinks he should.  No real clue what Burke can to at this level.

The rest I'd like to see what a new coach can do with them (Roby included).  I think Roby & Allen can be leaders if they stick around & I'm curious about Harris & Heiman.  Not sure about Davis since he sat out injured all year.

Burke is a good shooting guard.  Davis was supposed to make an immediate impact before getting hurt.  I like to see most everybody back next year.  Nana & Thor (whatever).

• Fire 1
33 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

As with football.  I won't be making any judgements on players abilities till I see what they can do with better coaching and better scheme.

Who knows.  Maybe one of those guys we don't think are that good will turn out to be the basketball version of Ozigbo.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

We have no depth again, no big man again. Hoiberg doesn't mind small ball so lineup as of now

G: Harris

G: Burke/Allen

G: Green

F: Davis

F: Roby

Ok, saw this on a board in my home state of Indiana. Derrick Smits, son of former Pacer Rik Smits, is testing NBA but also looking at grad transfer. He is listed at 7'1 but many say he does not play his size. I only saw him in HS games and have not watched him at Valpo. Hard to tell if he could do much vs B1G big men but hopefully in the grad transfer the Huskers can find size...somewhere! 

• Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach