Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

The only way I can understand this is if Moos is giving Hoiberg cover because Hoiberg was embarrassed or not comfortable with negotiating for a (well-liked) coach's job who had not been fired yet. Moos trying to maintain that (in the face of everything) can only be seen as him holding up his end of that deal. The downside of that position is, if there is no MoU, then we should be hearing about other schools taking a run at him (interviewing, etc.). As long as that does not happen, then everybody is just waiting for an appropriate amount of time to go by to make it official.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Look at this way and it’s 7-14 days. If MSU should lose this weekend, next Tuesday is 7 days. If MSU goes the f4, then it would be 14 days from today.  Sorta makes sense. 

You're probably right but if the rumors end up being true and it's been Fred all along, it's really looks a little smarmy for The Moose Man. Not exactly lying to us, but not exactly being a straight shooter either; and with all the rumblings about the AD department over the past 6 months, I just don't think it's a good look to be anything than straight up about things.

Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

For most state positions, you have to have applicants taken. I've known quite a few inside hires in academia where people were still flown out for interviews who realistically had no chance for the position. 

People keep bringing this up, but if you go to the UNL employment site and peruse the available "Job Categories" you won't see anything that even sounds related to Athletics.

https://employment.unl.edu/postings/search

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, his son is such a minor player for MSU, I doubt he and Izzo would be peppered with questions.  But, they would probably be quick to try and interview Hoiberg about taking the job at NU in the middle of the game where Fred would respond "I am excited for the opportunity, but I am here to watch my son and his team."

I actually think that not announcing the hiring right away creates more suspense and puts more attention on Hoiberg. Assuming he's going to Nebraska, that's a good thing. I also agree with an earlier poster that letting the dust settle around the firing of Miles for several days is a wise move. 

Why do I think this is a done deal?

1 - One name, and one name only, has surfaced in relation to the head coaching job at Nebraska and it happened before the previous head coach was fired.

2 - It was confirmed by the AD that he has spoken to 1 of his "3" potential candidates. Is it just coincidence that it is the person who's name has already surfaced? 

3 - National pundits are upset at the way the situation was handled. One explanation for their "outrage" is that it is known (or accepted as fact) that a new coach was essentially hired before the AD fired the old coach. How might an AD react to that criticism? Maybe by saying that it will take 7-14 to find a new coach.

I'll admit up front that I could be wrong. However, I believe the old adage applies in this situation. "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck".

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Comish said:

if the rumors end up being true and it's been Fred all along, it's really looks a little smarmy for The Moose Man. Not exactly lying to us, but not exactly being a straight shooter either;

what? That doesn't sound smarmy at all. That sounds like the definition of every coach and athletic director (might as well throw in every politician/pastor/any person of power with a vested interest in something) in history.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, Landlord said:

what? That doesn't sound smarmy at all. That sounds like the definition of every coach and athletic director (might as well throw in every politician/pastor/any person of power with a vested interest in something) in history.

Not to make this into anything more than I intended, (and perhaps I articulated it poorly), but the "smarmy" adjective was directed at Moose's straight-faced declaration that nothing has been decided (possible, but in direct opposition to multiple local and national sources); nothing of any sort has been agreed to (dubious, but difficult to document); and the up- to two week time table (hard to take seriously given the rapidly evolving landscape of hirings and firings where speed is a valuable asset).

Again, I've wasted too many words on a minor issue, but I just feel if we find out later that everything he said today was, in fact, already a fait accompli, it damages his credibility.

5 minutes ago, Comish said:

Not to make this into anything more than I intended, (and perhaps I articulated it poorly), but the "smarmy" adjective was directed at Moose's straight-faced declaration that nothing has been decided (possible, but in direct opposition to multiple local and national sources); nothing of any sort has been agreed to (dubious, but difficult to document); and the up- to two week time table (hard to take seriously given the rapidly evolving landscape of hirings and firings where speed is a valuable asset).

Again, I've wasted too many words on a minor issue, but I just feel if we find out later that everything he said today was, in fact, already a fait accompli, it damages his credibility.

I challenge you to find situations (football or basketball coaching searches) where it didn't work this way.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach