Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

Sherman: Nebraska’s next coach needs school to invest time, energy in making basketball successful

I'm not really seeing Sherman's point here. The only thing he really mentions is the deal with the former Navy SEAL. Outside of that, we have brand-new top-of-the-line facilities, tons of money in the recruiting budget, chartered planes for team travel and recruiting, and amazing fan support. To me it sounds like we have everything except for the guy to run the team.

I think Moos hit a homerun on his last hire, for a head coach. I don't care if he offered the job to Hoiberg last week or a month ago.

There's no reason we can't put a team on the floor that can compete year in and year out, playing for a NCAA bid. The facilities are in place, the money is there, and the fan base will always be there. Tired of hearing it's only a football school. Tell that to Okl, OSU, Mich and the other football only programs, that have a team in the NCAA tourney year in and year out, and their teams in bowl games in Jan.....

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, huskered17 said:

I think Moos hit a homerun on his last hire, for a head coach.

I'm glad to hear you have such confidence in our golf and tennis coaches!

14 hours ago, Comish said:

Not to make this into anything more than I intended, (and perhaps I articulated it poorly), but the "smarmy" adjective was directed at Moose's straight-faced declaration that nothing has been decided (possible, but in direct opposition to multiple local and national sources); nothing of any sort has been agreed to (dubious, but difficult to document); and the up- to two week time table (hard to take seriously given the rapidly evolving landscape of hirings and firings where speed is a valuable asset).

Again, I've wasted too many words on a minor issue, but I just feel if we find out later that everything he said today was, in fact, already a fait accompli, it damages his credibility.

Decided would mean an actual signed, legal contract was in place.  There was no way to actually sign a coach to a contact while still having someone in that position.  BM was being 100% technically correct when he said nothing is decided.  Someone saying they have interest or saying they would accept an offer doesn't mean it is decided.  Contacts can take days/weeks to work out and people can and do back out of deals that look like a sure thing.  He would be a fool to say it's a done deal until there is a legal contract binding FH and the university.     

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Decided would mean an actual signed, legal contract was in place.  There was no way to actually sign a coach to a contact while still having someone in that position.  BM was being 100% technically correct when he said nothing is decided.  Someone saying they have interest or saying they would accept an offer doesn't mean it is decided.  Contacts can take days/weeks to work out and people can and do back out of deals that look like a sure thing.  He would be a fool to say it's a done deal until there is a legal contract binding FH and the university.     

Exactly!  There may be a verbal agreement on the base, but most contracts go back & forth until both parties can live with the all parts.

3 hours ago, GSG said:

Sherman: Nebraska’s next coach needs school to invest time, energy in making basketball successful

I'm not really seeing Sherman's point here. The only thing he really mentions is the deal with the former Navy SEAL. Outside of that, we have brand-new top-of-the-line facilities, tons of money in the recruiting budget, chartered planes for team travel and recruiting, and amazing fan support. To me it sounds like we have everything except for the guy to run the team.

I don't think he has one other than "Nebraska is gonna hire a new coach and I need clicks". I've never been a big fan of MItch's, he seems to miss factual details all the time and never write anything other than the most generic talking point of the biggest majority of opinions.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

Important to listen to his quote about “Be patient, it will turn out in the end”

Also, Fred’s son is still playing in tourney.  May not want to take away from his son’s (and sons teams) experience.  

Back to this post post from yesterday:

“Michigan State could determine when Nebraska introduces Fred Hoiberg”

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/03/27/former-iowa-state-chicago-bulls-coach-fred-hoiberg-nebraska-huskers-basketball-tim-miles-fired/3286109002/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I think there is a reasonable explanation for why Moos is handling things this way:

From a negotiating standpoint, before the contract is drawn up and signed you need to have SOME sort of leverage to keep the demands from getting ridiculous. I'm sure that there is an MoU in place, similar to the one given to Scott Frost: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/Scott+Frost+MOU_Redacted.pdf

However, whether an MoU can be considered binding upon the parties is an area of some legal dispute: 

In most cases, courts have refused to enforce individual provisions of agreements to agree as freestanding contractual promises when other substantial and necessary terms of the agreement have been left open for future negotiation.

Source: "Leaping Without Looking: MOUs Create Risks When Universities Do Not Know Their Legal Significance"
 https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports-law/pdf/for-the-record/v21i1.pdf

From a negotiating standpoint, you also need to have at least some kind of Plan B in case something goes south (for whatever reason). Imagine if suddenly there was  "Me Too" Movement accusation against Hoiberg, for instance.

In addition, Moos is into networking. By putting out there what Nebraska is speculated to be paying Hoiberg, he's telling everyone that Nebraska's status as a place to play and coach is "on the rise". He's also inviting (as he did at his press conference) for coaches to express interest in the job. That includes Assistant Coaches. Any info that he gets (on who is looking for jobs, etc.) could possibly be shared as a tip with Hoiberg for him to consider.

This part is highly unlikely: IF there is someone above Hoiberg on Moos' list (let's say that Hoiberg was #2) all of this gives his #1 guy more time to change his mind. Hoiberg has done Nebraska a huge favor already, just by being pretty tight-lipped about his possible interest in the job. Someone of his stature being linked with the Nebraska job just made a lot of other coaches give a 2nd look at Nebraska and what they have to offer.

In short: I think Hoiberg is still the guy and still an "all but done" deal. But Moos is following his hiring blueprint and keeping himself in as good a negotiating position as possible in "holding the line" on whatever he put in the Hoiberg MoU.

• Plus1 4
  • Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach