Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is never the case in these issues unless the AD is an idiot. 

And moos is not. 

It may not be his plan, but anything less than Hoiberg will be a disappointment to the fan base. It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone other than Hoiberg is hired and a majority of fans are excited. It puts a lot of contract leverage in favor of Hoiberg. But much like Frost, Moos may have been given a target by boosters and told "by any means necessary".

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

It may not be his plan, but anything less than Hoiberg will be a disappointment to the fan base. It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone other than Hoiberg is hired and a majority of fans are excited. It puts a lot of contract leverage in favor of Hoiberg. But much like Frost, Moos may have been given a target by boosters and told "by any means necessary".

That’s the dan’s fault. There are other very good coaches he could go after. I’m sure all 3-4 top candidates on his list are very good. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s the dan’s fault. There are other very good coaches he could go after. I’m sure all 3-4 top candidates on his list are very good. 

I'm not saying there aren't any other very good coaches out there for the hire. The problem is someone leaked the info that Hoiberg was the one Moos was going after and going after hard. Even so much as to say a deal in principle was reached. Now a portion of the fan base has their heart set on him and will be disappointed if it's someone else. The hire might be a better coach with better connections and recruiting, but some people will take this as a loss because the perceived first pick was missed. 

I have faith that we will get the right person in here. Moos seems confident in this so I feel confident in him. 

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Dang. Buffalo just extended him I thought?

Tim Miles to Buffalo?

Buffalo had just extended him through 2024 or something like that, but he was still making less than a million per year and the buyout was only $750k.

MAC schools just can't compete with the big money, probably nothing more they could have done. Even at that amount, it was the richest basketball contract in the MAC.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Dang. Buffalo just extended him I thought?

Tim Miles to Buffalo?

A smart coach picks a down program he can improve. Going to a school that JUST finished first in the MAC (as Buffalo just did) has nowhere to go but down. You want to go to a school that you can measurably improve if you want to be given credit for your coaching ability. The question is whether Miles needs/wants to get right back in the game or possibly wait a year OR  downshift to an Assistant Coach for a major program somewhere.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Big red surfers said:

Miles is being talked about for the SDSU job 

Such a low dollar situation. Again, finished first in their division last year. Anything less in the new coach's first year will be a disappointment.
Not the situation I would take, if I was Miles. Otzelberger made $350K this past year.

• Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach