Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

10 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

If this hire does indeed happen are we looking for an immediate impact or is this a rebuilding job?

If he can keep the recruits we have and Roby stays, maybe land a transfer, then I could see us easily finishing better in the B1G than we did this past year. That's not saying much though

2 hours ago, GSG said:

If he can keep the recruits we have and Roby stays, maybe land a transfer, then I could see us easily finishing better in the B1G than we did this past year. That's not saying much though

I'm guessing with his rep, his history with transfers, his contacts, and the newer MUCH looser portal rules that he brings in more than one transfer.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:32 PM, Landlord said:

I don't think he has one other than "Nebraska is gonna hire a new coach and I need clicks". I've never been a big fan of MItch's, he seems to miss factual details all the time and never write anything other than the most generic talking point of the biggest majority of opinions.

I agree - he's largely a placater and was so during his time at the OWH.

The Athletic's primary strategy is to poach a top sportswriter in the market they want to enter, aiming for the highest profile possible. Mitch was not their first or even second choice. I know the first two they went after and couldn't get (one year ago, mind you). They then couldn't get anyone in time for the Husker season in 2018 so they put their plans on hold. Now, they've got Mitch, and I don't plan to read any of it. Every single other local media outlet has more resources and better overall reporters.

4 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

If this hire does indeed happen are we looking for an immediate impact or is this a rebuilding job?

Hoiberg was always big on the transfer market so, it's cliché, but his roster will really determine a lot. Obviously, losing Thomas Allen would hurt quite a bit, and they would probably need quite a bit of help on the transfer market regardless.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree - he's largely a placater and was so during his time at the OWH.

The Athletic's primary strategy is to poach a top sportswriter in the market they want to enter, aiming for the highest profile possible. Mitch was not their first or even second choice. I know the first two they went after and couldn't get (one year ago, mind you). They then couldn't get anyone in time for the Husker season in 2018 so they put their plans on hold. Now, they've got Mitch, and I don't plan to read any of it. Every single other local media outlet has more resources and better overall reporters than what Mitch will be able to do as a one man band.

Why didn't they try to get that guy who used to post here?! He was the tops!

• Haha 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach