Taj Griffin

5 hours ago, funhusker said:

I can kind of see it.  If Gebbia had stayed, and never played, he still would have lost a year.  Gebbia had to transfer when he did to save a year of eligibility.

But on the other hand, one player played a lot as an underclassmen, switched positions to help the team, and also stuck around long enough in a new system to know for sure that he wasn't going to play a ton in it, and then transferred to have just one more year to actually enjoy himself.

... and Win an NC

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

He has the speed Frost wants. He has experience already in Frost's system being at Oregon so he would pick the offense up fast and be able to contribute. I dont see how it can be bad to add a kid with lots of speed when our offense is predicated on speed. 

Dont argue just to argue. We need speed, he has speed. What is there to debate.

Idk, maybe there's more to it then just being fast? 

Devine Ozigbo ring a bell?

49 minutes ago, husker98 said:

Idk, maybe there's more to it then just being fast? 

Devine Ozigbo ring a bell?

Just because we can utilize all types of players doesn't mean we don't want more speed. Ozigbo had a great season in part because he got noticeably faster.

• Plus1 1
On 3/22/2019 at 3:13 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Just because we can utilize all types of players doesn't mean we don't want more speed. Ozigbo had a great season in part because he got noticeably faster.

Ozigbo didn't get faster, he got more explosive thanks to being lighter. This got him through holes and helped with better change of direction, something he couldn't do as well a year ago because the last staff wanted him as a power back. We saw last year's speed in spurts through out his early career.

He also benefited from a scheme that is described as being innovative for how they run the ball, so it wasn't all him.

But what was on him, and is my point, is that he learned the scheme and had the will and character to to succeed in it. The game is 99 percent mental as they say.

So from that perspective I have my doubts about Griffin. Maybe injuries hurt his career, or maybe it was also his work ethic, or his ability to fully learn the system.  But whatever it was, he slid down the depth chart at Oregon because of it.

So, as far as I can tell, there is nothing to be excited about by him other than that he's "fast". 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, husker98 said:

But whatever it was, he slid down the depth chart at Oregon because of it.

You can, and we did, say the exact same thing about Ozigbo. A guy who got a chance every year and every year going into the next buried on the depth chart. He wasn’t producing. Sometimes going into your final year it clicks and you get an Oz, and sometimes you get a Wilbon. 

A point I think is missing is a guy like this, and I’m highly dubious on this particular rumor, is insurance. A one year, low risk, policy in case our front runners for the position....one of which hasn’t even qualified and the other may be wearing orange...don’t make it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, husker98 said:

Ozigbo didn't get faster, he got more explosive thanks to being lighter. This got him through holes and helped with better change of direction, something he couldn't do as well a year ago because the last staff wanted him as a power back. We saw last year's speed in spurts through out his early career.

He also benefited from a scheme that is described as being innovative for how they run the ball, so it wasn't all him.

But what was on him, and is my point, is that he learned the scheme and had the will and character to to succeed in it. The game is 99 percent mental as they say.

So from that perspective I have my doubts about Griffin. Maybe injuries hurt his career, or maybe it was also his work ethic, or his ability to fully learn the system.  But whatever it was, he slid down the depth chart at Oregon because of it.

So, as far as I can tell, there is nothing to be excited about by him other than that he's "fast". 

I'm going to give a player recruited by Frost who hasn't been with him the past 3 years the benefit of the doubt. Maybe other coaches after Frost at Oregon didn't have the same vision for how to use him like Frost did.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, husker98 said:

Just about everything you said is correct. However, Frost has said several times that OZ gained an extra step of speed. But, yes, his improved explosiveness was more noticeable. 

I’m just going by the game highlight video I saw here. Griffin has shown explosiveness besides speed. And he has shown to have quick cutting ability. I see someone who has the potential to be an effective contributor here. No guarantee, it depends on his work ethic, attitude, and ability to quickly learn Frost’s system. Of course he has to come here first. 

8 hours ago, husker98 said:

This post is kinda weird, because Ozigbo, like Griffin, didn't do much during his first 3 years of playing. They're very comparable in that way. I don't know how many people are "excited" about Griffin. Most people are optimistic and think he'd at the least add good depth which we need especially if Washington isn't playing.

5 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Are we even sure he’s being considered, or considering us?  

No. There's "a lot of smoke."