** 2019 Opponent Previews : South Alabama (Game 1) **

SBNation: Steve Campbell might need a second Year Zero at South Alabama

Campbell’s first year in Mobile was a struggle, and now USA is starting over in all the wrong units.

I can understand the looks of baffled frustration. I probably looked similar when trying to pair up what I said about South Alabama in last year’s preview and what actually took shape on the field.

That the product was bad wasn’t all that much of a surprise. When Campbell came from Central Arkansas to USA, it appeared he had a pretty significant culture change to enact. Sure enough, this was a Year Zero situation. The Jaguars fell from 4-8 and 106th in S&P+ to 3-9 and 117th.

Former head coach Joey Jones’ biggest problem was week-to-week consistency — USA would look like a potential Sun Belt contender one week and then lay a giant, stinking egg the next — and, well, the Jags were pretty consistent last season, playing like a top-100 team at home and no-showing on the road. But in both their strengths and weaknesses and their playing style, they proved me wrong at just about every turn.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/3/15/18246645/south-alabama-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

2018 record and S&P+ ranking: 3-9 (117th)

Projected 2019 record and S&P+ ranking: 3-9 (127th)

CollegeFootballNews: 5 Things You Need To Know About South Alabama & Season Prediction

It wasn’t quite a rebuilding job last season, but it was a reboot under first year head coach Steve Campbell. This year, the little parts of the puzzle need to work better.

No team in college football committed more penalty yards. The defense was a doormat in the red zone, there were too many big pass plays allowed, too many fumbles, and too many sacks allowed by a line that should be a whole lot stronger. But it’s not like the Jaguars were all that close to having a good season. Only one of the nine losses was by fewer than ten points, the offense fizzled way too often, and it was a struggle to get through the slate. However, there’s hope.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/05/south-alabama-football-preview-prediction-players-2019

More to come...

• Plus1 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...