New Dem Proposed Policies- the Good, The Bad But Fixable, The Ugly

New Dem Proposed Policies   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, commando said:

exactly.....i don't think any of these issues have widespread dem support.  that's why i ahve stayed out of this thread.   it seems to be castin g the light on the most extreme views of some of the dems rather than on what they would actually do IMO.   a freshman to congress proposes a 16 year old voting rights doesn't make it a democratic platform.   at least i don't believe it does.

None of the important issues have wide dem support. Thats why I hate the two party system. Both parties cater to the big donors/lobbyists and do nothing for the average american citizen.

The DNC wants a corporate dem or centrist to be their nominee (Harris or Biden) so the status quo continues. They will fight tooth and nail to keep Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren or Andrew Yang from being their nominee. 

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They aren't. They're the things some guy on a message board who almost always votes Republican chose for a poll.

I guess that makes sense. What then are they working to advance? Serious question as I have been doing a fairly reasonable job of avoiding the news. But I have heard these 3 mentioned on the little news I have seen and I don't recall anything else that struck me as being anything to get excited about.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

All I know is we have much more pressing needs than the 3 items mentioned the poll.

The Green New Deal is its' own thing, but as far as climate change, there is no more pressing issue. We're currently on a spectacular path of underreacting ourselves into destruction.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

Well the 1-2 % growth rate is stagnate.  With the most dynamic economy in the world, we should be growing consistently at 3-4%.  Now the dems want single payer.  If that ever goes through, you will never see grow where it needs to be.

The only reason Im entertaining a post made by you is because there are some people who are still on the fence about MFA and need more information. I know Im not going to change your mind and I dont really care. 

I would argue with MFA that the economy would grow more than it is now. The economy is strong when the middle class is strong. The middle class will spend more money if they have more disposable income in their pocket. MFA would eliminate premiums. Eliminate deductibles. Eliminate co-pays. Eliminate the need to put money away in a HSA or orher healthcare spending accounts. That money will now go into the pockets of these working families and they will spend their extra income which will improve the economy. 

MFA will also be cheaper than the current system by $2 trillion over 10 years. This was a study done by big republican donor Koch brothers. The study did not prove what they initially set out to prove that MFA would be more expensive. It did the opposite. The reason it will be cheaper than the current system is because preventative care would be better and people would actually go to the doctor knowing its covered before things get to the point where long term care is needed.

The US is the only civilized country in the world that does not offer healthcare to their citizens as a basic human right. Costs and medications are bankrupting our citizens and people are dying because they cant afford care. Every country has their own system, but they have figured out how to get it done. I will NEVER vote for another candidate who does not support MFA or another form of universal healthcare. 

• Thanks 3

Abolishing the Electoral College is not, and has not for some time, been a radical view.

Landlord is right about climate change. If we don't disrupt the status quo and buck what corporate America wants, we're going to literally squander the planet. Delayed consequences does not make it responsible to do nothing.

Term limits for the Supreme Court sure seems like something we could all agree upon, instead of sitting around waiting for a president we like to nominate someone our side in the Senate will put on the bench or letting an utter boob like Trump put two or three ideological warriors on the bench for decades.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The Green New Deal is its' own thing, but as far as climate change, there is no more pressing issue. We're currently on a spectacular path of underreacting ourselves into destruction.

I could support legislation addressing climate change and it may be time to start on the problem but I don't view it as being near as crucial as say healthcare. Climate change may be vital to address but it also will take a long time to begin putting a dent in it. Healthcare is way out of control now and is having very current negative implications. jmo. Besides that, most climate change measures I've seen are too focused on taxes and transferring money and that always makes me suspicious of the real intent.

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I could support legislation addressing climate change and it may be time to start on the problem but I don't view it as being near as crucial as say healthcare. Climate change may be vital to address but it also will take a long time to begin putting a dent in it. Healthcare is way out of control now and is having very current negative implications. jmo. Besides that, most climate change measures I've seen are too focused on taxes and transferring money and that always makes me suspicious of the real intent.

One thing the right always laughs at AOC for is saying the world will end in 12 years. What she actually said/meant was, that a study done by the worlds leading scientists say we have 12 years to turn things around before there is unreversable damage done to our planet. Meaning we have 12 years to turn things around before we cant influence the outcome anymore. The right likes to spin it so it makes these people sound crazy. 

Now Im not a scientist, but I tend to believe scientists more so than politicans. The last four years have been the hottest years in the history of our planet. And things will continue to get worse. Places in Australia reached as high as 125 degrees this winter. Im guessing those places will be unhabitable in 5-10 years. I know people dont think about it that much, but if the scientists are correct, we are running out of time and fast. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Climate change is a more important issue than health care. We needed to start dealing with it 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. We need to do what we can immediately or it will be too late.

Healthcare isn't something where if we don't act immediately o fix it, we can never do anything about it in the future.

And the problem with both of these issues is there are people who have financial reasons for not wanting to fix either of them.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Climate change is a more important issue than health care. We needed to start dealing with it 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. We need to do what we can immediately or it will be too late.

Healthcare isn't something where if we don't act immediately o fix it, we can never do anything about it in the future.

I won’t claim I’m right or you’re wrong, it’s just my personal preference that they do something about healthcare and the sooner the better. Obamacare addressed some things but affordability was nowhere to be found in the affordable care act. Plus, to me, it seems like healthcare should be an easier and quicker fix than climate change. Sure at the end of the day the climate is much more important in the grand scheme but selfish me, I will have to deal with all kinds of medical issues and will be in the ground well before the climate impacts me to that extent. If our government and political parties were even somewhat functional, they could get after both problems but they aren’t and won’t. Hell, Trump won an election two years ago. How many of those people are going to even consider one payer coverage or anything that encroaches on corporate America’s worship of the mighty dollar? And the dems don’t seem to be too dialed in on the real problems. They’re all a lot more worried about playing voters and getting elected rather than fixing problems. No, the issues of the day are the electoral college, rigging the Supreme Court and building a f#cking wall. Maybe they could build that wall continuously around the whole country. Would keep out the rising oceans and we could just toss all the dead people that weren’t able to afford healthcare over the edge of it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

If our government and political parties were even somewhat functional, they could get after both problems but they aren’t and won’t. 

Progressives need to break off from the democratic party and start their own party imo. Too many corporate dems in the party holding it back. 

As far as this quote goes, the dems tried to address both of these issues. The ACA for healthcare (some good some bad) and the green new deal for climate change (some good some bad). The problem is the republicans can care less and instead of working with the good and improving the bad they just say this is a terrible bill. Its radical and AOC is a nutjob. This will never pass, etc. Even Nancy Pelosi called the GND the “green dream”.

The GOP cried about how bad obamacare was since it was implemented and they had two years of holding the house, senate and presidency to come up with something better. Instead they tried to quickly push through an even worse healthcare bill that would have kicked 16 million people off insurance. Wow! And now Trump is attacking a dead man over it. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Progressives need to break off from the democratic party and start their own party imo. Too many corporate dems in the party holding it back. 

As far as this quote goes, the dems tried to address both of these issues. The ACA for healthcare (some good some bad) and the green new deal for climate change (some good some bad). The problem is the republicans can care less and instead of working with the good and improving the bad they just say this is a terrible bill. Its radical and AOC is a nutjob. This will never pass, etc. Even Nancy Pelosi called the GND the “green dream”.

The GOP cried about how bad obamacare was since it was implemented and they had two years of holding the house, senate and presidency to come up with something better. Instead they tried to quickly push through an even worse healthcare bill that would have kicked 16 million people off insurance. Wow! And now Trump is attacking a dead man over it. 

Well said. The Democrats are trying to address these things, but they aren’t perfect. The GOP isn’t even trying. Most of the GOP won’t even admit climate change is a problem. The GOP could have tried to fix the ACA. They’ve spent every second since 2010 trying to make it not work, and then when they came to power they tried to trash it rather than be the heroes who made it better. 

• Plus1 2

Obama asks new Dems to consider the price of their proposals. 

https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Obama-cautions-freshman-House-Democrats-about-the-13716526.php

But some people in the room took his words as a cautionary note about Medicare-for-all and the ambitious Green New Deal, two liberal ideas popularized by a few of the more famous House freshmen, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

While the more liberal freshmen have garnered much of the attention in Washington, many first-year Democrats hail from swing- or even red-districts and have struggled with how to respond to the emboldened far-left.

"He said we [as Democrats] shouldn't be afraid of big, bold ideas - but also need to think in the nitty-gritty about how those big, bold ideas will work and how you pay for them," said one person summarizing the former president's remarks.

Obama's words - rare advice from a beloved leader who has shunned the spotlight since leaving office - come as the Democratic Party grapples with questions of how far left to lean in the run-up to 2020. Most Democratic candidates seeking the presidential nomination have embraced a single-payer health-care system and the Green New Deal, an ambitious plan to make the U.S. economy energy efficient in a decade.

But some moderate Democrats worry a lurch left will upend their chances at ousting President Donald Trump. Notably, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calf., who helped organize Obama's meeting with the freshmen, has not put those ideas on the floor for a House vote - nor does she plan to, senior Democrats close to her say.

People in the room, who asked for anonymity to describe the evening, said Obama's cost warnings weren't deficit-scolding, per se. Rather he argued that voters care about the costs associated with policies and that Democrats should be ready to answer questions about how they will pay for idea while making big promises to constituents.

Obama gave the example of taxes: Even a liberal, he argued, could be repelled from supporting a liberal policy if it's accompanied by a major tax cut to their own bottom line.