**Official 2019 Mariners/Mets Misery Thread**

Xmas32

We lowly Mets fans finally have something to celebrate!

I don't know if anyone watched the Derby, but Vlad Guerrero Jr. put on an absolute show as well. Had a crazy slug-off with Joc Pederson that took 3 tiebreakers to advance to the finals. Vlad looked a bit tired in the finals. Alonso on the other hand didn't get the best pitching from his cousin - pretty inconsistent on ball placement, but never had to actually dip into his bonus time to knock off any opponent.

The rules changes this year were very interesting. Overall it was very entertaining.

• Plus1 2

Yeah the derby was a ton of fun to watch.  I don't think it would've mattered at all due to Vlad Jr. going Death, destroyer of worlds out there but Chapman's dad was bruttttalllll.  It was cool seeing those guys go all out, the $1mm MLB put up certainly helped things. 

• 2 weeks later...

pESRN5u.gif

Won four in a row.  Next 20 games against sub-.500 teams.

Beat those teams at the rate they're currently being beaten would be about 11-9 over that stretch.  Win three more games than that - one extra game every-other series - would be 14-6 and back to .500.

I'll get back to you in three weeks.....

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

Naw, like 2 weeks to see if they trade anyone. Wheeler was the most mentioned name but he is on IL now.

I know they'll be looking to sell. Wheeler would have been gone and might still be. They'll look to trade Frazier. Word is they'd listen to offers for Thor but the price is likely to high.

In the end, it doesn't sound like they'll part with anyone who is making a huge difference this year. I don't want them to trade Wheeler but he and Frazier are replaceable.

Score a grand total of 2 runs over 26 innings in support of Thor and deGrom (yes, that's 26 innings in two games) and lose both in extra innings.  Follow that up with 11 runs backing Walker Lockett.

Out-scoring the Giants 13-8 but down 2-1 in the series.

That's just how we roll.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Mavric said:

pESRN5u.gif

Won four in a row.  Next 20 games against sub-.500 teams.

Beat those teams at the rate they're currently being beaten would be about 11-9 over that stretch.  Win three more games than that - one extra game every-other series - would be 14-6 and back to .500.

I'll get back to you in three weeks.....

Salvaged a 6-4 start after losing four of the first five.

Losing three of the first four in extra innings while scoring a combined 4 runs in those 38 innings wasn't exactly helpful.  But 11-9 is reachable, maybe 12-8....

12 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

This has to be a buffer for trading Syndergaard....otherwise trading for a pitcher that gets tons of GBs doesn't seem like the best idea given the Mets defense.

That's what it felt like when I first saw it.  But I was reading this morning that the Mets are still "shopping" Syndergaard but they are asking a ton for him.  So it gave me a little hope that they are only going to move him for a king's ransom and maybe they won't get it.

Sounds like they are probably dealing starting pitching one way or the other.  But if they don't get what they want for Syndergaard they'll move Wheeler and/or Vargas plus Frazier.  I wouldn't be devastated if all three left but if they somehow managed to keep Wheeler and Thor plus deGrom and Stroman, I'd be pretty happy.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That's what it felt like when I first saw it.  But I was reading this morning that the Mets are still "shopping" Syndergaard but they are asking a ton for him.  So it gave me a little hope that they are only going to move him for a king's ransom and maybe they won't get it. 

Sounds like they are probably dealing starting pitching one way or the other.  But if they don't get what they want for Syndergaard they'll move Wheeler and/or Vargas plus Frazier.  I wouldn't be devastated if all three left but if they somehow managed to keep Wheeler and Thor plus deGrom and Stroman, I'd be pretty happy.

This seems about right to me.

Thor isn't going anywhere unless someone gives us that king's ransom, so despite all the smoke I doubt he gets traded. We can reassess in the offseason and probably get a better haul then if BVW still wants to trade him.

The more this trade sinks in the more I like it. Our infield defense has to get better eventually especially they can manage to move Cano and get McNeil back to 2B. Gimenez is what Rosario was supposed to be as a SS prospect - a defensive whiz that hits enough to justify his amazing glove.

If they extend Stroman I long-term I like this deal a lot. If they let him walk after next season I'm not so sure. Getting a youngish All Star pitcher for a couple non-top 100 prospects is crazy value.