Hoiberg Assistants

2 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We took kids all over the country & no social media.  Yes, we had kids who had problems after they got here. Like Washington, but we never took a kid that I can remember who had a lot of prior issues. Thugs went to Miami u.  Bringing thugs to Lincoln will not make the majority happy.

Really?????

ummmm.....yes we did. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

The thought that Nebraska needs to have choir boys and solid citizens as basketball players is laughable. Of course, I witnessed NU fans all over Nebraska boner out over Johnny’s Trueblood the past 2 weeks, so it’s understandable that some fans may “prefer” that type of player. Unfortunately, a team full of that type of player isn’t going to win very many games. 

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The thought that Nebraska needs to have choir boys and solid citizens as basketball players is laughable. Of course, I witnessed NU fans all over Nebraska boner out over Johnny’s Trueblood the past 2 weeks, so it’s understandable that some fans may “prefer” that type of player. Unfortunately, a team full of that type of player isn’t going to win very many games. 

You missed the whole post.   The talk was alot guys who have known poor character.

13 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You missed the whole post.   The talk was alot guys who have known poor character.

Ok, I read your original post. When was Iowa State “Thug U”?  I think the point of that former Hoiberg assistant is that they may look at guys with questionable pasts, but they do their research to get a full understanding of the player’s situation. I don’t think there is any issue with taking players who made mistakes in high school or early in college, and have learned from those mistakes and changed from the better.  Of course, there are risks, but at a school like Nebraska with zero basketball tradition, sometimes risks are required to create a winning program. Shoot, Danny Nee took risks with Tony Farmer and Jose Ramos for the 90-91 season. No one was complaining when they helped NU to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. 

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ok, I read your original post. When was Iowa State “Thug U”?  I think the point of that former Hoiberg assistant is that they may look at guys with questionable pasts, but they do their research to get a full understanding of the player’s situation. I don’t think there is any issue with taking players who made mistakes in high school or early in college, and have learned from those mistakes and changed from the better.  Of course, there are risks, but at a school like Nebraska with zero basketball tradition, sometimes risks are required to create a winning program. Shoot, Danny Nee took risks with Tony Farmer and Jose Ramos for the 90-91 season. No one was complaining when they helped NU to a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. 

If I talk Ramos was kicked off the team.   I don't remember farmer having issues.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also I agree with taking players who makes a mistake.  Not with those who are of poor character.  To me, they are completely different. 

6 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

If I talk Ramos was kicked off the team.   I don't remember farmer having issues.

Ramos was ruled ineligible for at the end of the season and Farmer had some issues at San Jose State, leading to his transfer.

I think the point that Hoiberg would make is that as some people will view kids with “poor character” are actually kids who just made mistakes in the past. There is a fine line. If Hoiberg is hired, I would trust him and his assistants, even if they bring in kids who are on the fine line of “poor character”.  They will not be perfect and some of those kids may end up backfiring, but to win at NU, it’s a risk that needs to be made. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ramos was ruled ineligible for at the end of the season and Farmer had some issues at San Jose State, leading to his transfer.

I think the point that Hoiberg would make is that as some people will view kids with “poor character” are actually kids who just made mistakes in the past. There is a fine line. If Hoiberg is hired, I would trust him and his assistants, even if they bring in kids who are on the fine line of “poor character”.  They will not be perfect and some of those kids may end up backfiring, but to win at NU, it’s a risk that needs to be made. 

I agree. Sometimes kids need structure and a support staff a good coaching staff and college program can provide. 

Frost brought in Maurice Washington- turns out he did something stupid before he got here but I have not heard of any issues since he got in the program. I am sure they vetted him and realized he was a good kid in need of a mentor 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. Sometimes kids need structure and a support staff a good coaching staff and college program can provide. 

Frost brought in Maurice Washington- turns out he did something stupid before he got here but I have not heard of any issues since he got in the program. I am sure they vetted him and realized he was a good kid in need of a mentor 

Not arguing that.  I'm was arguing about taking any players just to win. Becoming Miami u of 80s & 90s