Hoiberg Assistants

6 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Dont we have two spots technically open? I know most assume Gates is filling one but curious how everything else shakes out.

I know the talk has been a stud defensive coach and then I assume the other two need to be strong recruiters(Matt and Gates both fill that)

There will be 3 bench coaches and I'm guessing a director of player development.   We currently do not have this position, but Fred had one at Iowa St. 

I can see the failed recruiting efforts, but I'm not sure where they got the sleazy part. Sounds good for us since it seems Abdelmassih was the only guy working.

Report: Chris Mullin Out At St. John's Despite Winning Due To Sleazy And Failed Recruiting Efforts

The rift reportedly opened up last summer, when Mullin wanted to hire disgraced former Rutgers coach Mike Rice as an assistant. School president Bobby Gempesaw turned him down, fearing a PR s#!tstorm for St. John’s. Gempesaw, who was the force behind Mullin getting the job in the first place, then hired athletic director Mike Cragg last September. For the first time in Mullin’s tenure at St. John’s, he had to answer to someone else besides Gempesaw.

According to Forbes’s J.P. Pelzman and others, Mullin had been seeking an extension in recent days, seeking stability after his best recruiter Matt Abdelmassih followed Fred Hoiberg to Nebraska. Abdelmassih’s departure was reportedly the key step that pushed Mullin over the edge, since he was the program’s only apparent recruiter (transfer guard Cam Mack rescinded his commitment after Abdelmassih left):

Abdelmassih did the heavy lifting, recruiting virtually the entire roster. There were questions about the rest of the staff’s work ethic in recruiting, and the need to have more than one primary recruiter. Mullin wasn’t seen as much as other head coaches on the recruiting trail in recent years and didn’t have a high school recruit signed for next year.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Yea, they don’t really back up their “sleazy” claim.

Deadspin being deadspin.

They are just trolling with the title. That being said Mullin just wasnt a very good coach and seems like he only had one good coach on his staff and now he is with us.

Interesting who St. Johns can get. I dont know if its a good enough job for Hurley. 

• Fire 1