Hoiberg Assistants

I was way off on why Doc would leave So Miss.  I didn't realize that he was making so little $ there, and he could make the same or even more $ at NU, and not have the full responsibilities of being a head coach.  Doc is 58 years old, so he may want to start winding down his coaching career and ride off into the sunset in Lincoln.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was way off on why Doc would leave So Miss.  I didn't realize that he was making so little $ there, and he could make the same or even more $ at NU, and not have the full responsibilities of being a head coach.  Doc is 58 years old, so he may want to start winding down his coaching career and ride off into the sunset in Lincoln.

I was going to come throw crow at you, but gave you that +1 instead. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It makes a lot of sense.  Fred is going to get 7 years even if he averages 15 wins a season over that time...so for Doc that is basically 7 years of 350-400K a year.  s#!t I would not be shocked if he still had a home in Lincoln.  Plus, dude loved Husker football games, loved Lincoln, loved the media.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or maybe he hopes to get another HC job at a bigger program than So Miss. Could just come down to Doc's personal feelings. Could be too much water under the bridge in Lincoln...

1 hour ago, TonyStalloni said:

I remember seeing Doc's undermanned team with a 6'5" post player beat Texas and Kevin Durant.  The man can coach....recruiting wasn't his strong talent.

And in this role he wouldn't have to do much (if any recruiting).  Hoiberg will have the new guy from St. Johns and Armon Gates handling most (or all) of the recruiting.  This is basketball, so the team is looking for 3-5 new recruits each year.  That can be done with 2 assistants.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And in this role he wouldn't have to do much (if any recruiting).  Hoiberg will have the new guy from St. Johns and Armon Gates handling most (or all) of the recruiting.  This is basketball, so the team is looking for 3-5 new recruits each year.  That can be done with 2 assistants.

This. Doc will be coordinating the defense, which was his teams' specialty when he was here. 

• Plus1 3