Hoiberg Assistants

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m excited about this.  Some people are better role players than CEOs.  I think Doc could be one of those guys.  It’s pretty well documented how much he loved it here.

simple fact is the dude may actually want to be an assistant but has had to chase money.

I think most assistant coaches want to end up trying their hand as a head coach.  For some people it works out, for some people it doesn't.  He was a head coach for 10 seasons (between UTEP and Nebraska) for much of his 40's and early 50's.  He had an okay run at the 2 schools, and made some very good money at Nebraska.  Now as he approaches 60, he may not want to deal with the grind of being a head coach, and is able to make good money as NU, as Fred's lead in-game assistant.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think most assistant coaches want to end up trying their hand as a head coach.  For some people it works out, for some people it doesn't.  He was a head coach for 10 seasons (between UTEP and Nebraska) for much of his 40's and early 50's.  He had an okay run at the 2 schools, and made some very good money at Nebraska.  Now as he approaches 60, he may not want to deal with the grind of being a head coach, and is able to make good money as NU, as Fred's lead in-game assistant.

Plus, he will probably get a raise and get to work in way better facilities.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m excited about this.  Some people are better role players than CEOs.  I think Doc could be one of those guys.  It’s pretty well documented how much he loved it here.

simple fact is the dude may actually want to be an assistant but has had to chase money.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He's probably going to be making more money as an assistant here, while also having less responsibility. Sign me up. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I remember seeing Doc's undermanned team with a 6'5" post player beat Texas and Kevin Durant.  The man can coach....recruiting wasn't his strong talent.

Hey Tony you feeling okay buddy? I don't know how to break it to you but that never happened. Do you know who and where you are? :lol:

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Plus, he will probably get a raise and get to work in way better facilities.

Would doubt if he gets a raise.  There is 1M for the assistant pool & Abdelmassih is getting 380k.  That leaves 620k for the other two positions.  If Doc gets a raise from 350k that would leave less than 270k for the third (assumed to be Gates).  Gates made 256k last year with a two year contract, so I guess he could stay at 256k, but that seems like a pretty wide pay difference between assistants (380k to 256k).

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Hey Tony you feeling okay buddy? I don't know how to break it to you but that never happened. Do you know who and where you are? :lol:

I was at the game.  NU didn't win, but it was much closer than it should have been based on talent.  Final was 62-61 Texas.