Hoiberg Assistants

12 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

The man can coach....recruiting wasn't his strong talent.

I'm kinda wary of having any assistants who aren't big-time recruiters, given that Hoiberg himself has said he hates recruiting. I mean that should be all-hands-on-deck, not something that only half the staff is good at.

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm kinda wary of having any assistants who aren't big-time recruiters, given that Hoiberg himself has said he hates recruiting. I mean that should be all-hands-on-deck, not something that only half the staff is good at.

Basketball programs only sign 3-5 players per year.  Gates can focus on the high school kids while the guy from St. John’s (sorry I don’t remember his name) will focus on the transfer market. Fred will be the closer when guys are brought to campus. NU will rarely compete with the top programs for the same players, but they can get the guys who are a rung below.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m excited about this.  Some people are better role players than CEOs.  I think Doc could be one of those guys.  It’s pretty well documented how much he loved it here.

simple fact is the dude may actually want to be an assistant but has had to chase money.

Still remember him tearing up in his post firing press conference saying he wished he could've been the one to win Nebraska's first NCAA tourney game

• Plus1 3

I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Hoiberg if he brings Doc back.  From Doc's quotes, he obviously is tired of being a HC and wants to be an assistant.  He's known for his defense.  He loved being here at Nebraska.

It shows a huge amount of confidence Hoiberg has in his own ability to be a leader to bring back an assistant that used to be a HC here that (other than his record) was well liked here.

I would absolutely love to have the guy back in this roll.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Doc was not a bad recruiter.  His teams always played good defense, but he is not an offensive guy.    Doc is a good fit, as Hoiberg needs help on the def.  

I will be interested to see how there two systems interact. 

Hoiberg is all about fast/running and Doc was slow/methodical. 

Doc's teams struggled to put up 60 and Hoibergs team can go over 80 easily. 

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He worked under Hoiberg for a year, so I would think he has some idea.   The other thing I liked about Doc's teams was that they did not give up a lot of Off. Reb.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I had a boss a few years ago tell me how he built work teams.

He said if he knew he was good/strong at something he didn't go after people with the same skill set.  He didn't need them.  He went after people that he felt addressed his weaknesses or cared more about stuff that he wasn't as interested/passionate about. 

That's always stuck with me.  I know when I put a work group together I always have to have a person that has an attention for detail and won't get pushed around because it compliments my style.  I prefer to move fast, sometimes too fast,  and don't like details.  It's worked well for me.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I had a boss a few years ago tell me how he built work teams.

He said if he knew he was good/strong at something he didn't go after people with the same skill set.  He didn't need them.  He went after people that he felt addressed his weaknesses or cared more about stuff that he wasn't as interested/passionate about. 

That's always stuck with me.  I know when I put a work group together I always have to have a person that has an attention for detail and won't get pushed around because it compliments my style.  I prefer to move fast, sometimes too fast,  and don't like details.  It's worked well for me.  

That's a very good lesson to learn as a manager.  Way too many managers are scared to hire someone smarter than them in a subject.  They think they need to be the expert in everything.  I've known business owners who have totally failed because of this.  They are so concerned that someone is going to know something they don't that they don't hire people who does something better than them.

• Plus1 1