seaofred92

Hoiberg Assistants

49 minutes ago, GSG said:

I’m excited about this.  Some people are better role players than CEOs.  I think Doc could be one of those guys.  It’s pretty well documented how much he loved it here.

simple fact is the dude may actually want to be an assistant but has had to chase money.

9 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m excited about this.  Some people are better role players than CEOs.  I think Doc could be one of those guys.  It’s pretty well documented how much he loved it here.

simple fact is the dude may actually want to be an assistant but has had to chase money.

I think most assistant coaches want to end up trying their hand as a head coach.  For some people it works out, for some people it doesn't.  He was a head coach for 10 seasons (between UTEP and Nebraska) for much of his 40's and early 50's.  He had an okay run at the 2 schools, and made some very good money at Nebraska.  Now as he approaches 60, he may not want to deal with the grind of being a head coach, and is able to make good money as NU, as Fred's lead in-game assistant.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think most assistant coaches want to end up trying their hand as a head coach.  For some people it works out, for some people it doesn't.  He was a head coach for 10 seasons (between UTEP and Nebraska) for much of his 40's and early 50's.  He had an okay run at the 2 schools, and made some very good money at Nebraska.  Now as he approaches 60, he may not want to deal with the grind of being a head coach, and is able to make good money as NU, as Fred's lead in-game assistant.

Plus, he will probably get a raise and get to work in way better facilities.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He's probably going to be making more money as an assistant here, while also having less responsibility. Sign me up. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He will get a small raise and I think living in Lincoln would be better than Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

• Plus1 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

He will get a small raise and I think living in Lincoln would be better than Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

The guy is 58 and if things work out he will retire here with whole lot less stress!  

4 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I remember seeing Doc's undermanned team with a 6'5" post player beat Texas and Kevin Durant.  The man can coach....recruiting wasn't his strong talent.

Hey Tony you feeling okay buddy? I don't know how to break it to you but that never happened. Do you know who and where you are? :lol:

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Would doubt if he gets a raise.  There is 1M for the assistant pool & Abdelmassih is getting 380k.  That leaves 620k for the other two positions.  If Doc gets a raise from 350k that would leave less than 270k for the third (assumed to be Gates).  Gates made 256k last year with a two year contract, so I guess he could stay at 256k, but that seems like a pretty wide pay difference between assistants (380k to 256k).

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Hey Tony you feeling okay buddy? I don't know how to break it to you but that never happened. Do you know who and where you are? :lol:

I was at the game.  NU didn't win, but it was much closer than it should have been based on talent.  Final was 62-61 Texas.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

I was at the game.  NU didn't win, but it was much closer than it should have been based on talent.  Final was 62-61 Texas.

You are right! Good catch.  I guess we only won the 2nd half by 2....unfortunately we lost the first half by 3!  :D

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

The man can coach....recruiting wasn't his strong talent.

I'm kinda wary of having any assistants who aren't big-time recruiters, given that Hoiberg himself has said he hates recruiting. I mean that should be all-hands-on-deck, not something that only half the staff is good at.

10 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

What does Doc bring to the table? 

Great defensive coach and will help Fred with in-game decisions. He and Fred have a great relationship. 

• Plus1 4

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

I'm kinda wary of having any assistants who aren't big-time recruiters, given that Hoiberg himself has said he hates recruiting. I mean that should be all-hands-on-deck, not something that only half the staff is good at.

Basketball programs only sign 3-5 players per year.  Gates can focus on the high school kids while the guy from St. John’s (sorry I don’t remember his name) will focus on the transfer market. Fred will be the closer when guys are brought to campus. NU will rarely compete with the top programs for the same players, but they can get the guys who are a rung below.  

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Still remember him tearing up in his post firing press conference saying he wished he could've been the one to win Nebraska's first NCAA tourney game

• Plus1 3

I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Hoiberg if he brings Doc back.  From Doc's quotes, he obviously is tired of being a HC and wants to be an assistant.  He's known for his defense.  He loved being here at Nebraska.

It shows a huge amount of confidence Hoiberg has in his own ability to be a leader to bring back an assistant that used to be a HC here that (other than his record) was well liked here.

I would absolutely love to have the guy back in this roll.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Doc was not a bad recruiter.  His teams always played good defense, but he is not an offensive guy.    Doc is a good fit, as Hoiberg needs help on the def.  

I will be interested to see how there two systems interact. 

Hoiberg is all about fast/running and Doc was slow/methodical. 

Doc's teams struggled to put up 60 and Hoibergs team can go over 80 easily. 

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He worked under Hoiberg for a year, so I would think he has some idea.   The other thing I liked about Doc's teams was that they did not give up a lot of Off. Reb.

10 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Southern Miss avg. 72 pts per game this last year, so maybe he learned a little off from Fred.

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I had a boss a few years ago tell me how he built work teams.

He said if he knew he was good/strong at something he didn't go after people with the same skill set.  He didn't need them.  He went after people that he felt addressed his weaknesses or cared more about stuff that he wasn't as interested/passionate about. 

That's always stuck with me.  I know when I put a work group together I always have to have a person that has an attention for detail and won't get pushed around because it compliments my style.  I prefer to move fast, sometimes too fast,  and don't like details.  It's worked well for me.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I had a boss a few years ago tell me how he built work teams.

He said if he knew he was good/strong at something he didn't go after people with the same skill set.  He didn't need them.  He went after people that he felt addressed his weaknesses or cared more about stuff that he wasn't as interested/passionate about. 

That's always stuck with me.  I know when I put a work group together I always have to have a person that has an attention for detail and won't get pushed around because it compliments my style.  I prefer to move fast, sometimes too fast,  and don't like details.  It's worked well for me.  

That's a very good lesson to learn as a manager.  Way too many managers are scared to hire someone smarter than them in a subject.  They think they need to be the expert in everything.  I've known business owners who have totally failed because of this.  They are so concerned that someone is going to know something they don't that they don't hire people who does something better than them.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

officially official

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

officially official

2 former head coaches.

2 guys with previous experience coaching at Nebraska.

2 stud recruiters.

1 Defensive focused coach.

I am overly pretty happy with the staff. 

NOW LETS 'CRUIT SOME 7-footers. 

• Plus1 7
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

2 former head coaches.

2 guys with previous experience coaching at Nebraska.

2 stud recruiters.

1 Defensive focused coach.

I am overly pretty happy with the staff. 

NOW LETS 'CRUIT SOME 7-footers. 

I would love to see more work on the glass and easy baskets - however, don't be surprised if FH doesn't spend much effort on 7-footers guessing he will go for slightly taller guards and a bunch of long 6-7 to 6-9 guys.

• Plus1 1

Haha.  That's funny.  I always liked Doc Sadler.  I actually met him albeit briefly once but he definitely seemed genuine and friendly.  Very neat to see him back.  

• Plus1 1

The Assistants met the press today. Here's a gem from Doc:

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

If nothing else, we have funny Asst. Coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...

Fred

Larry

Doc

??????

Who's the 4th guy?

And, what course do you think they played?

That's Bobby Lutz the other assistant

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...

Fred

Larry

Doc

??????

Who's the 4th guy?

And, what course do you think they played?

You mean our other asst coach...?

7 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You mean our other asst coach...?

I guess.....I don't know him.  :dunno

8 minutes ago, GSG said:

That's Bobby Lutz the other assistant

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess.....I don't know him.  :dunno

Thanks.

He is the assistant to the head coach, not a bench coach.  Worked with Fred in the past and was the head coach at UNC Charlotte.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He is the assistant to the head coach, not a bench coach.  Worked with Fred in the past and was the head coach at UNC Charlotte.

I understand.  I just didn't recognize him in the picture.  Don't know him well enough to do that.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  I just didn't recognize him in the picture.  Don't know him well enough to do that.

I don't know much about him either, just googled him when he was hired!