JUSSIE SMOLETT: All charges DROPPED !!

1 hour ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

I wonder why the whole Smollet has been sealed.  We should know everything about this case.  Why is it so different than the Mueller Russian file that it has to be sealed.  I'm all for the Mueller file being released don't doubt me on that one. (I think there is some incriminating stuff in there the Dems may be sorry that we all get to see!)     Also it's funny back during Water Gate, all those Nixon files were sealed and have never been opened.  Who's being protected by sealing these files.  I've heard they have all his phone records and that most likely those records contain phone calls from Michelle and Barack and maybe even his relative Senator Harris.  Do you think the Smollet file should be unsealed?

Everyone and case should be treated the same, but we know that isn't how it works. Our judicial system is a complete joke from top to bottom. I've seen people get longer sentences for selling drugs than someone raping a child. How TF does that make any sense? 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

8 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

I wonder why the whole Smollet case has been sealed.  We should know everything about this case.  Why is it so different than the Mueller Russian file that it has to be sealed.  I'm all for the Mueller file being released don't doubt me on that one. (I think there is some incriminating stuff in there the Dems may be sorry that we all get to see!)     Also it's funny back during Water Gate, all those Nixon files were sealed and have never been opened.  Who's being protected by sealing these files.  I've heard they have all his phone records and that most likely those records contain phone calls from Michelle and Barack and maybe even his relative Senator Harris.  Do you think the Smollet file should be unsealed?

Where are you hearing that from?

yes, it should be released just like the mueller report. 

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Yep.  Oh, there was "evidence" that was reported by the media I suppose...but in a court of law an indictment comes after a grand jury (which isn't all that grand...6 people minimum to 12 max).  Indictments come after presentation of evidence IN STRICT CONFIDENCE between grand jury members and the prosecution...no one else. The judge doesn't even see the evidence.  If the 6 to 12 individuals say 'yeah, that's enough to accuse this person' then it goes to trial. 

If the judge, prosecutor and defense lawyer finally have a trial (after all pretrial motions, etc)...they can go through the indictments and determine which ones will stay and which ones will go based on the evidence at hand.  For example, defense lawyers can get specific ones thrown out due (both before and during a trial) to inadmissible evidence (2nd hand knowledge, no eyewitnesses, etc).  Once this is determined, the prosecution then can determine whether to continue to prosecute, to offer a deal for reduced sentence and admission of guilt, or to dismiss the charges if they don't think they will be able to prove them in a court of law.

So, the prosecutor determined they would not win in a court of law and dismissed all charges.  This means either the judge determined that the grand jury indictments weren't up to snuff and dismissed some of the charges...or the defense lawyer was able to get some that the prosecution COULD  prove thrown out and perhaps those indictments were needed to prove other indictments and thus dominos of indictments may have fallen, or a combination of all of these or even related reasons (I'm sure everyone can think of some)

Bottom line, no conviction means there was only an accusation and there wasn't evidence in place that allowed for a conviction of these crimes.

It's important to also note that the prosecution has a sworn oath to prosecute ANY crime that they can prove to serve the public interest.  In other words, if they can prove it...they "should act with integrity and balanced judgment to increase public safety both by pursuing appropriate criminal charges of appropriate severity, and by exercising discretion to not pursue criminal charges in appropriate circumstances. The prosecutor should seek to protect the innocent and convict the guilty"

I have no dog in the fight...I don't care if he was guilt or innocent.  I don't watch Empire.  

I only think trial in the court of public opinion is an affront to our justice system.

I don’t have a dog in the fight either, but I believe you have to be pretty ignorant to overlook the fact they have the two brothers on camera buying the red hat and rope. 

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

The far right that wants to hang their hat on this event and claim scoreboard. 

I don’t think that’s it. I’ve never heard of a case where 16 felonies were dropped after 16 hours of community service and 10k bail money that was kept.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Landlord said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him be made an example of in a substantial yet non life destroying sort of way that he could eventually come back from, but it seems pretty obvious the powers that be didn't want to deal with the s#!t storm and felt fine to just let a victimless crime slide.

This was a bizarre one for sure but I don’t think you should refer to it as “a victimless crime”. Numerous resources were wasted and I have to wonder how many people it influenced just as much as if it had actually occurred. I guess I don’t see any greater good in destroying his life but it’s also a bad message to send for others who may try to commit the same fraud. And I have trouble feeling an pity for him when he now portrays it as he was vindicated and was telling the truth all along. TBH I hope the FBI or whoever follows up actually dispenses the justice that the crooked city of Chicago screwed up.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This was a bizarre one for sure but I don’t think you should refer to it as “a victimless crime”. Numerous resources were wasted and I have to wonder how many people it influenced just as much as if it had actually occurred. I guess I don’t see any greater good in destroying his life but it’s also a bad message to send for others who may try to commit the same fraud. And I have trouble feeling an pity for him when he now portrays it as he was vindicated and was telling the truth all along. TBH I hope the FBI or whoever follows up actually dispenses the justice that the crooked city of Chicago screwed up.

I pretty much agree with you just didn't use the most precise language.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Exactly. The dude walked into a medical center with a rope around his neck claiming assault. He was treated by the docs, police resources were expended to investigate his claims, and then more resources were expended to investigate the possible hoax.

SOMETHING happened here. SOMEONE used up a ton of resources that could have been better expended elsewhere.

Those are taxpayer resources. I think the taxpayers are owed a bit better explanation than the one they've been given.

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Dewiz said:

This situation is weird and definitely in need of clarification.  But is it really the worth the use of federal resources and especially the time of the POTUS?  

The mayor of Chicago and Chicago Police Dept are dismayed by this.  Am I to understand that they can't get answers?

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This situation is weird and definitely in need of clarification.  But is it really the worth the use of federal resources and especially the time of the POTUS?  

The mayor of Chicago and Chicago Police Dept are dismayed by this.  Am I to understand that they can't get answers?

Playing devil's advocate (and really just throwing this out there, because I have no clue whether the city could get any answers now that the case has been sealed), what if the federal government and POTUS are the only way to get answers / clarification?

Granted, we then have to ask ourselves whether this case warrants additional resources. Honestly, I think the guy should be prosecuted given his theatrics and intentional race-baiting, but I'm not exactly sure what that'll prove. People are already dug in on their sides, whether they support him or not, and I don't believe any sort of conviction would sway individuals one way or another. What concerns me is this case allows for others to believe you can side skirt any ramifications of trying to create hoopla around a hate crime, producing more copycat like acts. That has the potential to not only divide this country further, as some will claim it is real and others will call it another Smollett farce. We will have to rely on the fact that there are some normal human beings who can objective apply a sniff test to each individual case. However, in a world that continues to be more and more polarized by political parties or acts, I fear the number of able individuals continues to dwindle.

I think it is completely ridiculous that his attorneys are claiming he's 100% innocent and demanding an apology.

the DA in the smolett case...this report does not exonerate jusse....almost everyone calls it BS

barrs report says the meuller report doesn't exonerate trump.....60,000,000 americans totally and completely ignore the part about trump not being exonerated and demand people pay for letting an investigation take place.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2