ILB Malik Reed [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Reed commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I cringe when people say 'well these guys are ranked higher.' If we are scrapping for this guys commitment now, he is high on our board period. Recruiting rankings don't matter that much at this point I find anyway.

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying.. Again, there is a long time until signing day and we have other options on the board.  I wanted him just like a lot of people of the board did and we missed. He is still a mid 3 star at the end of the day who some say looks better in a 4-3 so it is not the end of the world for the staff on the ILB recruiting trail. Did Ruud want him? Obviously. To act like this is a big miss is foolish though. I cringe when people say rankings don't matter.

49 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying.. Again, there is a long time until signing day and we have other options on the board.  I wanted him just like a lot of people of the board did and we missed. He is still a mid 3 star at the end of the day who some say looks better in a 4-3 so it is not the end of the world for the staff on the ILB recruiting trail. Did Ruud want him? Obviously. To act like this is a big miss is foolish though. I cringe when people say rankings don't matter.

At this point they kind of don't. Things will change in a major way between now and signing day as it always does. You will have big droppers and big surgers and this may be a surge guy. I doubt he finishes at a mid 3 star. But I am referring to our recent CB signing as well. People are skepticle because of the rating but my thing is if the coaches want a player to sign at this point in the cycle they are near the top of our board.

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

1. To clarify, Wisconsin runs a 3-4.  Been that way since 2013.

2. Rankings matter, of course, but how much does it matter for many three-star players?  Most experts are grasping at straws after ranking the four- and five-star athletes.  Two of the three other mentioned targets are in the same breath of Malik Reed.

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

1. To clarify, Wisconsin runs a 3-4.  Been that way since 2013.

2. Rankings matter, of course, but how much does it matter for many three-star players?  Most experts are grasping at straws after ranking the four- and five-star athletes.  Two of the three other mentioned targets are in the same breath of Malik Reed.

Let's not act like Chryst is producing NFL players - they had solid players and a great D coordinator when he got there. 8-5 like last year will be the more norm for Wisconsin than the good run they have had. Ol' Paul will go into Pittsburgh mode here shortly you can bank on that. Fall Wisconsin, Rise Nebraska. Bet it 

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Let's not act like Chryst is producing NFL players - they had solid players and a great D coordinator when he got there. 8-5 like last year will be the more norm for Wisconsin than the good run they have had. Ol' Paul will go into Pittsburgh mode here shortly you can bank on that. Fall Wisconsin, Rise Nebraska. Bet it 

That's a pretty ballzy prediction considering Wisc just landed the best recruit / QB recruit in their history. They also continue to churn out All Big Ten linemen and running backs. 

But I like your optimize!! 

24 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This seems like an informed, rational post. 

There is no comparison between Paul Chryst at Pittsburgh and Paul Chryst at Wisconsin.  Chryst grew up in Madison, went to college in Madison, and has coached in Madison on two separate occasions.  He understands the foundation of which the program has built (i.e. resurrecting walk-on program that was being ignored by Gary Andersen), which has resulted in wins and an uptick in recruiting successes (i.e. average class rating has never been higher).

I don't disagree that Nebraska is on the rise, and I have never contended that claim.

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

This seems like an informed, rational post. 

There is no comparison between Paul Chryst at Pittsburgh and Paul Chryst at Wisconsin.  Chryst grew up in Madison, went to college in Madison, and has coached in Madison on two separate occasions.  He understands the foundation of which the program has built (i.e. resurrecting walk-on program that was being ignored by Gary Andersen), which has resulted in wins and an uptick in recruiting successes (i.e. average class rating has never been higher).

I don't disagree that Nebraska is on the rise, and I have never contended that claim.

You realize Anderson won 11 games the year before Paul got there right? Not even being a hater, I just don't think he's that good of a coach and starting last year you saw with HIS players what he will be. Average 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

You realize Anderson won 11 games the year before Paul got there right? Not even being a hater, I just don't think he's that good of a coach and starting last year you saw with HIS players what he will be. Average 

And Chryst won 11, 10, and 13 before last years drop to 8. It's usually a quicker drop if an inferior coach takes over. They'll be fine, I'm more worried about them over the next 5 years than I am Minnesota, Iowa, or Purdue.

On a Reed note, hard to fault him for choosing Wisconsin - they've pretty much been LB University, 7 drafted since 2016.

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And Chryst won 11, 10, and 13 before last years drop to 8. It's usually a quicker drop if an inferior coach takes over. They'll be fine, I'm more worried about them over the next 5 years than I am Minnesota, Iowa, or Purdue.

On a Reed note, hard to fault him for choosing Wisconsin - they've pretty much been LB University, 7 drafted since 2016.

I'll stop with the back and forth, but I hammered the under on win totals for WI last year and I think it will be more of the same. I'm not saying they will be bad by any means, just not sitting top the West like they have been for the most part. 

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Gary Andersen was doing his best to alter the direction of the Wisconsin program, which did not sit well with fans or the Athletic Department, including Barry Alvarez.  The in-state walk-on program was starting to dry (HS coaches were vocal about their displeasure of the way Andersen maintained relationships in-state), he was accepting commits that would never be admitted (part of the reason he left for Oregon State), and the structure of the roster (i.e. lighter OL, dual-threat QB) would never work long-term.  There is a reason that Alvarez, explicitly, said "Paul saved our program..."  Sure, there is hyperbole at play, but there is little-doubt the direction that Alvarez knew the program needed to go and Andersen wasn't the best fit.  He's talked about this at length.  Simply, Chryst is a coach that understands the foundation that has made Wisconsin successful and has rebuilt the walk-on program (i.e. securing PWO commits with offers from MAC programs), replenished OL depth, and recruited kids that he can get into school.  The only one that was ever denied admission was Jordan Stevenson, an Andersen commit.

Last season was total dysfunction at Wisconsin.  Injuries decimated the Wisconsin defense (i.e. Garrett Rand, Isaiahh Loudermilk, D'Cota Dixon), Quintez Cephus and Danny Davis were caught in legal trouble, and there were rumors about Alex Hornibrook that helped contribute to his departure.  These types of circumstances are, often, out of the coach's control, but can be fixable.  Still, the Badgers somehow won eight games.

Don't think you're a hater, at all.  Simply, as an outsider, you see everything from the macro-level.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to ILB Malik Reed [Wisconsin - Signed LOI]