University of Nebraska President rumors

On 3/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, my family is currently being enrolled into Obamacare (through Ambetter) so I'll let you know! Cautiously optimistic as of now!

My family has been on Obamacare for 3 years. Really grateful for the option, as I'm self-employed with wildly varying income month to month. 

Last year my wife got a job with full benefits from a private company. Turns out the coverage was worse and more expensive. It forced my wife to go with her company's plan or lose any benefit, while the rest of us stayed on Covered California (the state version of Obamacare -- one that wasn't sabotaged by Republican governors).

My monthly check still goes to a private health insurer. I have all the bad choices I had before Obamacare. I'd say the hatred of Obamacare is a mystery to me, but it's not.

If the vindictive little narcissist gave ACA the basic support it needed and rebranded it Trumpcare, he would save lives, money and be a legitimate hero.

Of course he would never do such a thing. 

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My family has been on Obamacare for 3 years. Really grateful for the option, as I'm self-employed with wildly varying income month to month. 

Last year my wife got a job with full benefits from a private company. Turns out the coverage was worse and more expensive. It forced my wife to go with her company's plan or lose any benefit, while the rest of us stayed on Covered California (the state version of Obamacare -- one that wasn't sabotaged by Republican governors).

My monthly check still goes to a private health insurer. I have all the bad choices I had before Obamacare. I'd say the hatred of Obamacare is a mystery to me, but it's not.

If the vindictive little narcissist gave ACA the basic support it needed and rebranded it Trumpcare, he would save lives, money and be a legitimate hero.

Of course he would never do such a thing. 

Yeah, like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. The plan will actually be cheaper than what my wife's plan at her employer cost us per month (I'm also self-employed). Just looking over the terms of coverage, it's not quite as good as what my wife had through Blue Cross/Shield, but it isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Now, we'll just have to see how easy Ambetter is to deal with. I don't know if it'll happen, but I don't like hearing "no" when it comes to healthcare services my doctor recommends for my family.

21 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. The plan will actually be cheaper than what my wife's plan at her employer cost us per month (I'm also self-employed). Just looking over the terms of coverage, it's not quite as good as what my wife had through Blue Cross/Shield, but it isn't as bad as I thought it might be. Now, we'll just have to see how easy Ambetter is to deal with. I don't know if it'll happen, but I don't like hearing "no" when it comes to healthcare services my doctor recommends for my family.

I was skeptical, too. But I found a lot still depends on the individual doctor.

Information and accountability was horrible in the beginning, and entire medical groups were feuding with Blue Cross which was feuding with Covered California. It's settled down pretty well now. Just found out I need rotator cuff surgery. It's pretty damn expensive and bordering on elective for a guy without a promising baseball career, but my insurance covers it for about $500 out of pocket. 

We have six drug prescriptions in the family that would be financially crippling every month, but they are extremely reasonable under Obamacare.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was skeptical, too. But I found a lot still depends on the individual doctor.

Information and accountability was horrible in the beginning, and entire medical groups were feuding with Blue Cross which was feuding with Covered California. It's settled down pretty well now. Just found out I need rotator cuff surgery. It's pretty damn expensive and bordering on elective for a guy without a promising baseball career, but my insurance covers it for about $500 out of pocket. 

We have six drug prescriptions in the family that would be financially crippling every month, but they are extremely reasonable under Obamacare.

There are some real horror stories on the internet with Ambetter. One of our major Healthcare companies in the area is Cox Health, and I've read/heard/learned that they take Ambetter. Hoping for the best, it's our only option in Missouri as of now.

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There are some real horror stories on the internet with Ambetter. One of our major Healthcare companies in the area is Cox Health, and I've read/heard/learned that they take Ambetter. Hoping for the best, it's our only option in Missouri as of now.

Dont worry, if its not good you might not have to deal with it long. Trump is on the verge of getting ACA dismantled through the courts. Then the fun really begins when people lose their coverage.  

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Dont worry, if its not good you might not have to deal with it long. Trump is on the verge of getting ACA dismantled through the courts. Then the fun really begins when people lose their coverage.  

Nah. He may want to take it away, but it won't happen.

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nah. He may want to take it away, but it won't happen.

It would be so great if independent minded people could rise up, see how much better Obamacare would be with a little support, and encourage Presidents, governors and representatives to rebrand it the ACA and do something right for the American people. 

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It would be so great if independent minded people could rise up, see how much better Obamacare would be with a little support, and encourage Presidents, governors and representatives to rebrand it the ACA and do something right for the American people. 

I agree. I lean pretty conservative, and I can tell you for a fact that most conservatives hate Obamacare, because they think they're supposed too. I've asked members of my family (Trump supporters) why they take issue with it, and they never have a good answer. Like I've said a couple times already, it looks like it may be okay. I sure hope it turns out that way. My main concern is what anyone should worry about when the government is involved with healthcare, will they delay/deny coverage on procedures that my doctors see as necessary. 

39 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree. What the ACA needs is support and more tweaking to help make healthcare affordable. I've been in the marketplace (Obamacare) in Colorado for 3 or 4 years. It's basically my only option being self employed. The ACA got a lot of things right but what it didn't address were rising premiums and rising cost of healthcare and drugs. Between premiums and actual healthcare expenditures, I've spent well over $30,000 per year in each of the last two years. How in the F can they title a bill "Affordable Care Act" when that is the case? 

I don't want it destroyed but it sure needs a whole bunch of work.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

My main concern is what anyone should worry about when the government is involved with healthcare, will they delay/deny coverage on procedures that my doctors see as necessary

I get what you're saying, but private insurance companies do that too.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

I get what you're saying, but private insurance companies do that too.

And as a private company, I basically have no say in what they decide. I'm tied in, usually by my employer's choice, not mine, and there's no advocate on my behalf for any issues I may have.

Whereas, if government is involved in healthcare, I have local, state & national representatives I can appeal to - people who represent me, not the insurer. Further, the government isn't designed to make a profit off my healthcare, while health insurers make a tidy profit off me.

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I agree. I lean pretty conservative, and I can tell you for a fact that most conservatives hate Obamacare, because they think they're supposed too. I've asked members of my family (Trump supporters) why they take issue with it, and they never have a good answer. Like I've said a couple times already, it looks like it may be okay. I sure hope it turns out that way. My main concern is what anyone should worry about when the government is involved with healthcare, will they delay/deny coverage on procedures that my doctors see as necessary. 

No, with medicare for all bill you are covered. You get cancer, youre covered. You have diabetes, youre covered, etc. And so on. No lifetime caps. No deductibles. No co-pays. No prior authorizations. 

• Plus1 1