CB Avante Dickerson [Oregon - Signed LOI]

Mavric

Starting Lineup  

85 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Dickerson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Would prefer he go there than stay in the B1G. 

He can stay at Minnesota for all I care. It sucks losing in state talent to a division opponent, but I'm far from peeing my pants. As was said, he's got elite measurables that can make him develop into an nice CB but he still needs to put on a bit of size before he's a serious factor. Odds are he'll be a good player in time. Meanwhile Nebraska/Frost just needs to keep out recruiting Minnesota and improve the development part.

Just now, FearAmeer said:

"Having watched every Westside home football game the past two seasons, I’m not upset about this Minnesota commitment at all and I recommend that you not be either. "

what other assumption is there to make from this comment? lmao 

OK, I'll be more specific.  If it had come down to the wire between NU and a couple other schools this fall or later this summer and he picked let's say Florida or OSU, I would have been a little more bummed by this.  But he chose Minnesota, seemingly out of the blue.  This just tells me something's off with this.  

Now as far as my uneducated assessment:  Is he a good player? Yes. Does he need to get bigger physically? YES, he's way to slight for D1 football.  Would I like to see him in Lincoln?  Yes, but not if he doesn't want to be there.  It's been my impression that he's more enamored with Fl schools and that's OK.  He needs to do what's best for him.  But to commit to a traditionally mid-level Big Ten school based on just a virtual visit tells me that he is either not at all interested in NU, Florida isn't showing interest or NU has cooled on him.  I have no idea which, but even as fast as he is, it's not going to change the trajectory of NU football one bit if he comes or not.  I get the whole "lock down your borders" narrative, but didn't we do pretty well with that last cycle?  We only want the one's who want to play at NU.  Maybe Avante will end up at NU eventually, but my feelings won't change.  He needs to get bigger and maintain his speed.  Hopefully that can happen for him wherever he ends up.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Gee that's funny I don't recall saying he's not good.

33 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I didn't say he wasn't good.  These type of assumptions are annoying as hell.  

48 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m not upset about this Minnesota commitment at all and I recommend that you not be either. 

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, NUance said:

Say what you will, but Dickerson was probably the second best recruit in Nebraska this year.  It hurts to lose him.  

Oh well.  

Who's the first?  Just curious.  I don't follow recruiting too much anymore.  I used to in the Pelini days and finally realized that unless you're talking about a true difference maker at quarterback, it's not worth worrying about individual players.  Coaching and culture are way more important.

55 minutes ago, HANC said:

Whether or not he is or isn't a major get or loss, the fact that we are struggling to lock up some of the most highly rated kids within a stones throw of Lincoln is a little concerning. Not alarming, but definitely worth noting. 

We've missed on literally no one else... and this one isn't even over yet. 

Or are you still on the "Keagan Johnson isn't coming here" train? 

Teddy is coming here. AJ Rollins will play TE here. We will offer Haarberg before the year is over, and he'll play here. 

Betts last year. He was the better WR between him and Watts.  No one really else in 2020 I would have wanted. 

In the 2019 class... #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7 now play for this staff. Why are you so salty? (Heinrich, Hickman, Snodgrass, Nelson, Piper, Nouili).

This staff has no problem locking up the most highly rated kids within a stones throw of Lincoln. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Who's the first?  Just curious.  I don't follow recruiting too much anymore.  I used to in the Pelini days and finally realized that unless you're talking about a true difference maker at quarterback, it's not worth worrying about individual players.  Coaching and culture are way more important.

Teddy Prochazka is the best in the state, IMO, and is much more important for us as we rebuild the line. I think most would agree. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

We've missed on literally no one else... and this one isn't even over yet. 

Or are you still on the "Keagan Johnson isn't coming here" train? 

Teddy is coming here. AJ Rollins will play TE here. We will offer Haarberg before the year is over, and he'll play here. 

Betts last year. He was the better WR between him and Watts.  No one really else in 2020 I would have wanted. 

In the 2019 class... #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7 now play for this staff. Why are you so salty? (Heinrich, Hickman, Snodgrass, Nelson, Piper, Nouili).

This staff has no problem locking up the most highly rated kids within a stones throw of Lincoln. 

Cause it’s easier to be pessimistic and not look at facts. Duh.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo...we shouldn't be upset about a great player from Omaha committing to a division rival.

ooook.

I was being a bit tongue-in- cheek with that “great player “ as it was just to appease those who like to get all bent out of shape over these things.
Avante is a good player who has great speed.  Add 20-30 lbs of muscle while maintaining the speed and then he has potential to be “great.”  
You really think MN is a rival?  I’d say maybe Iowa is and that’s about it. 
But no, as I mentioned earlier, I don’t get upset about individual recruits anymore. 

I’m in the same “boat” as Decoy.  Yes it hurts being he’s an in state kid, but honestly meh.  Kids got combine numbers and what not, but on the field there is some to be desired.

Also as has been mentioned on repeat, it’s early.  If it was only Nebraska he chose the Gophs over, whatever, but OSU, PSU and many more big hitters.....hmm....  And also, as has been mentioned a Gator offer pretty much makes everything moot.

Yes, I’d love for him to be a Husker, wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep if he isn’t though.  

• Plus1 2

It always hurts to lose an in state player.....but it happens. As the tourism campaign states; Nebraska, it's not for everybody. Contrary to some recent reactions, this doesn't mean anything except that we lost out on this one player. Our recruiting is still doing very well and, dare I say, there are likely many more stronger targets out there. Yes we want to dominate for in state talent but the real key is getting the best talent we can.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Decked said:

Huskerboard now that he’s going to Minnesota: We don’t need him 

Also huskerboard if he were to commit to N: HIGHEST RATED IN STATE PLAYER IN 5 YEARS 

Yeah, that’s pretty much how it works. I don’t see any sense in screaming that the sky is falling. I don’t follow recruiting all that close but something about this one does seem a little off. I see 3 possibilities. 1- There is some draw or connection to Minny that we couldn’t overcome. 2- There was something this one player did not like about the Nebraska program. 3- It’s just a plan B placeholder commitment until he gets an offer he really wants. I guess the same could be said about any commit but there isn’t much that can be done (shy of actually fielding a consistent winning program) that would prevent something like this from happening occasionally. 

• Plus1 1
  • seaofred92 changed the title to CB Avante Dickerson [Oregon- Signed LOI]
  • Mavric changed the title to CB Avante Dickerson [Oregon - Signed LOI]