Hoiberg Offense

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Rebounding is important, but with guys shooting 3's, that means LONG rebounds which favors the more athletic players who can get rebounds with speed and jumping ability rather than just brute height and size with interior rebounding.

There's still a heck of a lot of them that are within 8-10 feet of the basket where you need size to get your fair share.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's still a heck of a lot of them that are within 8-10 feet of the basket where you need size to get your fair share.

Nobody is saying that size isn't a factor in rebounding, but it plays less of a factor the further away from the basket the ball goes off a shot.  You seem hell bent on making everything into a size issue for NU and how it will be a factor in the Big Ten.  Yes, it will be a factor, but let's not act like the Big Ten is full of teams with nothing but giants on the floor.

I expect size to be even a lesser issue in college basketball going forward, as the NBA will probably go back to allowing high school kids.  That will reduce the number of true bigs in college basketball, as they will go right to the NBA.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nobody is saying that size isn't a factor in rebounding, but it plays less of a factor the further away from the basket the ball goes off a shot.  You seem hell bent on making everything into a size issue for NU and how it will be a factor in the Big Ten.  Yes, it will be a factor, but let's not act like the Big Ten is full of teams with nothing but giants on the floor.

I expect size to be even a lesser issue in college basketball going forward, as the NBA will probably go back to allowing high school kids.  That will reduce the number of true bigs in college basketball, as they will go right to the NBA.

No, it simply has been a major point of concern up until the last two players were added to the roster.  Almost everyone on the roster up to that point were 6'6" or smaller and thin.  Now, at least we have some weight under there and a little more height.  

And, yes, you need some size underneath in the Big 10.  That's my opinion and up until this year, I thought that was the predominant feeling.  Now, we have an offensive coach who loves to shoot threes and run.  Some fans believe that diminishes the need for size.  I don't agree.  It emphasizes the need for athletic size like has been mentioned.  But, you still need some size.  

I wouldn't want a team only built with all players 6'7" and smaller.  6' 8" is the smallest I would want our bigs.  And, if they are that size, they need some strength.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

One thing that I firmly believe is important with a team that shoots a lot of threes is rebounding.  You need at least enough size with athleticism under the basket to get a good share of the rebounds.  If you're making 45% of your threes, and that's the majority of your first shots at the basket, you better be getting a lot of second shots......and preventing the other team from getting them on their end.

making 45% of your threes - equates to 67.5% shooting if they were two's.  Also at least half of missed threes bounce a good distance from the cylinder and an athletic 6-6 to 6-9 guy can get those.  Think of how many rebounds Glynn Watson got that were 5 to 8 feet away from the rim and he is on the short side.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...