Hoiberg Offense

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some great stats from Hoiberg today:

Nebraska finished 16th in the country in pace last year out of 353 Division 1 teams

Of the top 25 teams in pace last year, Nebraska had the best turnover margin of any team 

Nebraska was 5th in the nation in possession length 

Nebraska finished 3rd in most attempted shots in the restricted area in the country

Hoiberg on the restricted area shots stat above: 

We just didn’t finish very well. We were one of the poorest finishing teams in the restricted area. But as we continue to get our roster where we want it, and our size and athleticism is much different from where it was, hopefully those numbers will improve. And the wins will come.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/a-sign-fred-hoibergs-offense-is-still-under-construction-at-nebraska/article_63e685c0-494d-11eb-9125-2b3f043ebb9a.html

The hallmark of a Fred Hoiberg-coached team — well-spaced, fluid offense — is still under construction at NU. Hoiberg pointed to late-game scoring struggles against Michigan, when the Huskers scored five points in eight possessions, as a sore spot.

“Down the stretch, I put that on me,” Hoiberg said. “I’ve got to get us better looks. I got to get us more opportunities, better execution. We ran a couple plays that we didn’t execute the right way that we’ve got to get better at. I put that on me.”

On one possession with 3:06 left, Dalano Banton drove into the lane and kicked back out to Allen, who then whipped a behind-the-back pass to Banton, who’d moved out to the top of the key. Four teammates, without moving, then watched Banton unsuccessfully drive against Michigan’s Franz Wagner before pulling up for a free throw line jumper that clanged to the left.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is so beautiful, especially because of how many options exist off of it. There are three reads here:

1. Thor reads Mayen coming down for the dribble hand off. He has to determine if the man guarding Mayen can get there and/or if his own defender will hedge and ultimately trap him if he gets the ball. Thor then immediately clears out after denying the hand off and passing to Andre

2. Andre doesn’t give to Thor after he clears out, this may be a dummy action but we probably have a counter somewhere off it where Thor takes it and uses Andre as a screener if his man overplays it and shoots under the screen for a quick 3

3. Hard dribble at Mayen by Andre and then beautiful denial and back cut by Mayen. Just a RIDICULOUS pass for a Center to throw but Andre leads him perfectly for the easy bucket. It’s just gorgeous. 

• Plus1 5
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

^^^ Those are full season stats.  I would be curious to see the same chart for the last month or so when we've not only seemed to play better but also had Walker and Andre provide a much-improved low-post presence.

Those are cool stats, Mav, thanks!  It has annoyed me with some of the local media members trying to criticize Fred and saying that "what he's doing isn't working".  The chart you show how well his offense does at creating quality shots.  He just needs to get better guys to make layups and make 3's.  However, I think the talent on the team is better than how Miles left it, and Fred made the talent better in year 2 vs. compared to year 1. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Those are cool stats, Mav, thanks!  It has annoyed me with some of the local media members trying to criticize Fred and saying that "what he's doing isn't working".  The chart you show how well his offense does at creating quality shots.  He just needs to get better guys to make layups and make 3's.  However, I think the talent on the team is better than how Miles left it, and Fred made the talent better in year 2 vs. compared to year 1. 

Yup. I respect our media horde covering the team like they do because they don’t have to but... most don’t know anything about basketball