What expectations should Nebraska Basketball have of Fred Hoiberg?

Expectations  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Arguably the greatest accomplishment in the history of Nebraska Basketball was winning the NIT.  That happened in 1996, 23 years ago.

Since that time Nebraska has gone through three head coaches (Barry Collier, Doc Sadler & Tim Miles), only made the NCAAs twice (1998 & 2014), and has nine NIT appearances, going 7-9 and failing to advance past the second round. The combined records of Collier, Sadler & Miles are 306-294 - a .510 winning percentage over 19 seasons.

It's a history of futility. We're the only major conference team to never win an NCAA game. We haven't won a conference tournament in over two decades, and haven't won a conference regular-season championship in almost seven decades.

So, enter Fred Hoiberg.  Took Iowa State to the Sweet 16 in 2014, and finished with a record of 115-56 (.673) for the Cyclones. Four NCAA wins, which may be the most exciting thing. Fastest coach in Iowa State history to win 100 games (out of 148).

He's bona fide.

So he takes over for Nebrasketball, a program with excellent facilities, deep pockets and dedicated fans. He won't lack for resources here, and he won't lack for support.

What should we expect from all that?

I'm setting the bar low with my votes. I think he should get us an NCAA win in two years. That depends a bit on who he keeps/recruits, but the resources are there. I see no reason why that can't happen.

• Plus1 3

I expect next year to be about the same as this past year. Sorta mimic the football team. Some growing pains to be experienced.  Hopefully roby stays and Allen decides the greener pasture is in Lincoln. 

What I’m excited about is players learning and getting better as the year goes along. Something miles failed to do.  

Years 2-3 could be special for us fans. 

• Plus1 2

Related image

:D We can dream right? (Or maybe it's possible?!!!!)

I voted for "Sweet 16", and "three years". I think that would be plenty of time to get the players he wants into his program, and develop the culture he wants inside the walls. I considered voting for "two years", because turnarounds can happen much quicker in basketball. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they made the tournament next year if Roby, Allen, and the current commits hang around (assuming he'd bring in some JUCO help immediately).

I don't think I've ever been so excited for Nebrasketball. I don't know that I'm on the "Jack Mitchell" level of Nebrasketball fandom, but I've always felt like me and my dad have followed it closer than most Husker fans. There have been way too many lows, and I'm excited that the payoff looks to be within reach for the fan base. 

How sweet would it be if the football, and basketball programs took off at the same time? I can't wait for the two programs to prove national pundits wrong on what our university, and state are capable of in college athletics, in the new millennium.

GBR!!!!

• Plus1 1

Right now the expectation should be to just win a NCAA tournament game. We haven't done that yet so lets start there first. Realistically it can be done in 2 or 3 years. It just take 1 good recruiting class to turn the team around. I think when Fred gets things really rolling we can be a team that is in the tournament every year and a team that can win a couple games in the tournament

• Fire 1

I went with the reasonable choice- win a NCAA game within 3 years.  Long term, hopefully with a competent coach we can have sustained success over a long enough period to change the perception of what UNL is.  In discussion about basketball it would be cool that people's first thought when they hear Nebraska is that we have a legitimate basketball program and not just "football school".  We'll never be considered a top basketball school and football will always be king but elevating the program from being a sport we also participate in to more often than not making the tourney would be amazing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Tourney win in 3 years or less...  next season seems possible if Roby stays.  This hire should make a big enough splash to catch the eye of a couple solid recruits/transfers so I expect next year to be solid,  just may take Fred a year or two to get the hang of the conference.  The B1G is no cake walk. 

Specific expectations in a short time span are tricky and usually pretty unfair. For example, knapp's 'low' expectation of a tourney win in two years. What if we make the tourney in year one as a 10 seed and then lose at the buzzer of a great game to a 7 seed who goes on to show they were undeseeded? Failed that expectation but still looks to be doing pretty well.

I expect him to build something that makes finishing in the top half of the conference and having tourney bids more frequent than not long term. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

I voted NCAA tournament win in 3 years.  Fred's been out of the college game for a few years, and may need to adjust/tweak his system to the way the Big 10 plays and is officiated, stuff like that.  Nebraska basketball isn't in a position to demand instant gratification, give him some space and time.

Hence the 7 year contract. This guy just got a great job in my opinion. Top 10 pay and not top 10 expectations. All the pieces in place to succeed like a top 10 program but no history at the program to have high hopes. If the guy gets us to a sweet 16 he. Could retire here a legend haha 

• Fire 2