What expectations should Nebraska Basketball have of Fred Hoiberg?

Expectations  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not a Nebraska basketball fan. I've never lived in Nebraska and didn't go to college at Nebraska. (Although my father did, hence why I like Nebraska football.)

However, if Nebraska gets good at basketball (and the forecast looks quite positive) I may start to root for Nebrasketball. Well, as long as they aren't playing my Jackrabbits.

I don't think Hoiberg will be at Nebraska nearly as long as Frost. I'd say set the expectation at six or seven years of Hoiberg before he tries the NBA again or another mega college job like Kansas or UNC. In that time though, I think a few NCAA tournament wins and maybe a Sweet 16 or two is reasonable.

2 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

The first thing he better do is beat Creighton next season. 

Given the amount of money he is he is being paid, he better make the Sweet Sixteen. No more mediocrity.

And there is the first reference to Hoiberg's salary in terms of expectations for his tenure.  Never change Nebraska fans.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is the perfect situation for him.  Strong fan base great facilities.  He gets a dump truck full of money.

Expectations are reasonable.  Fans just want to win a tournament game!

Those are the reasonable expectations which Fred has.  If he is able to succeed and the expectations could be raised.  But, getting NU to the NCAA tournament on a semi-regular basis and winning that first tournament game are the initial expectations.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Those are the reasonable expectations which Fred has.  If he is able to succeed and the expectations could be raised.  But, getting NU to the NCAA tournament on a semi-regular basis and winning that first tournament game are the initial expectations.

Which in the Big Ten is not hard...usually 7-8 teams are going to make the dance from the Big Ten.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Which in the Big Ten is not hard...usually 7-8 teams are going to make the dance from the Big Ten.

Fran McCaffery at Iowa isn't thought of as a great coach, but he has made it to the NCAA Tournament 4 out of the past 6 years.  NU fans would be thrilled with Hoiberg doing that at NU.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is fine, but also the bluest of blue bloods Duke has now made the Final Four only twice in the last 15 tournaments.  Success in the tournament is really freaking hard.

Expectations here need to be a consistent tournament team.  Get in the dance and anything can happen, but there is no potential if you don't get a bid.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This is fine, but also the bluest of blue bloods Duke has now made the Final Four only twice in the last 15 tournaments.  Success in the tournament is really freaking hard.

Expectations here need to be a consistent tournament team.  Get in the dance and anything can happen, but there is no potential if you don't get a bid.

I don’t take the tweet as “final four or bust”. I take it as, “don’t say it can’t happen here”. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

You could win three games in the tournament every single year and still not make the final four. I'm not sure why you're using that metric?

Yeah, Duke has only made the Final Four twice since 2004 (both times they won the championship). But they've made the sweet sixteen or better 10 times. 

• Plus1 1