What expectations should Nebraska Basketball have of Fred Hoiberg?

Expectations  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With Hoilberg on board, realistically we should be a top 4 in the conference team.  Win the conference championship and/or Tournament every now and then and get to the sweet 16 or elite 8 once in a while.  To go further than that would be something special so I will dream for that, but not hold my breath!  I can happen to any team, but with Hoilberg we are at least now dreaming! 

• Plus1 1

Honestly, my expectations for the program in the short term is to have a team that’s competitive with pretty much anyone in the conference on any given night.  Meaning, even when we lose, we lol like we belong.  Mostly 20+ win seasons with some good quality wins. Restore the fear of coming to play at PBA. Look as though we have a complete team. 

If we do that, we’ll be in the tourney most years and will win a game at two in the NCAA eventually. 

once we reach that level, we can dream bigger. 

Voted for tourney win in 3 years. Think it will probably be sooner but I’m pretty used to having no expectations of the basketball program.

I do think Fred will get us to the tourney next year and actually win a game in it within 2 or 3 years.

Sweet 16 appearance may come sometime relatively soon but I’m putting no timeline on it.

Final Four is a whole ‘nuther deal. Heck there are plenty of damn good 1-2-3 seeds that don’t make the FF.

Conference championships are also hard to predict in basketball. Once again I think we’ll get one at some point but it is highly dependent on the year to year composition of the B1G and also actually making it through the gauntlet of a conference tourney.

I will be more than satisfied with something that looks like major conference D1 ball and not the pseudo juco brand of ball I’ve become accustomed to. It will also be fun watching a team that is actually coached and that has a coherent offensive plan.

• Fire 1
20 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

With Hoilberg on board, realistically we should be a top 4 in the conference team.  Win the conference championship and/or Tournament every now and then and get to the sweet 16 or elite 8 once in a while.  To go further than that would be something special so I will dream for that, but not hold my breath!  I can happen to any team, but with Hoilberg we are at least now dreaming! 

man prepare to be disappointed

On 4/2/2019 at 1:05 AM, Landlord said:

man prepare to be disappointed

Why? I'm curious which of these things you think is impossible or highly improbable with a top tier coach, excellent fan support, second to none facilities and administration that has finally made the decision to not settle for mediocre or worse results.

You say prepare to be disappointed. I say prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Why? I'm curious which of these things you think is impossible or highly improbable with a top tier coach, excellent fan support, second to none facilities and administration that has finally made the decision to not settle for mediocre or worse results.

You say prepare to be disappointed. I say prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not saying they're impossible. Highly improbably I guess I'm probably saying. He wrote his post as if he expects those things to happen. I think they're certainly possible, but all the things you listed only apply to possibility or to potential. They don't apply to an actual equation or evidence that any of that will happen. Literally 99% of schools in America do not operate at a level of being top 4 in their conference, winning their conference every now and occasionally getting to sweet 16/elite 8. Not only is that not the case for 99% of schools across the board (including us currently), but we're trying to do it in the toughest conference imaginable. 

I think a realistic baseline or median expectation is being Top 6 in the conference and making the dance about 2/3 of the time, winning at least one game half the times that we do make it which would be at least one win every three years.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'm not saying they're impossible. Highly improbably I guess I'm probably saying. He wrote his post as if he expects those things to happen. I think they're certainly possible, but all the things you listed only apply to possibility or to potential. They don't apply to an actual equation or evidence that any of that will happen. Literally 99% of schools in America do not operate at a level of being top 4 in their conference, winning their conference every now and occasionally getting to sweet 16/elite 8. Not only is that not the case for 99% of schools across the board (including us currently), but we're trying to do it in the toughest conference imaginable. 

I think a realistic baseline or median expectation is being Top 6 in the conference and making the dance about 2/3 of the time, winning at least one game half the times that we do make it which would be at least one win every three years.

Okay. So he, you and I aren't that far apart. I will agree that regularly top 4 in conference is probably the toughest one. Occasionally top 4 and top 6ish as a baseline does seem more likely. I also think occasional Sweet Sixteen or Elite 8 may be a bit aggressive. It's one thing to go dancing and win a game or two but it takes a special team and some stars aligning to make it further than that. The baby steps of making the tournament and actually winning a game in it would seem to be a more measured expectation at this point. But I do think things will be improving drastically for Nebrasketball within the next year or two.

The sad part is, with Fred at the helm, this past years team would've been top 6 in conference and already broken that dance win barrier. No doubt in my mind that is the type of impact Hoiberg will have. It'll be......different.

Fred's success at ISU was built on having good players in the 6'5 to 6'8 range who can get up and down the floor quickly and work to get a quick transition shot. If not they work to get one of the good shooters an open shot and not always with 3 seconds left on the shot clock.  His first few teams were built on transfers and with the new transfer portal rules he and his staff will have about 1000 kids to chose from. We aren't sure yet who is coming back and what recruits will stay so the first year could be a slow build.  I could see us being under .500 by 4 to 6 games.  By year two with 2 recruiting classes we should be in better shape to withstand the 20 game BIG 10 season. Possibly 8-3 in the out of conference games and .500 in the BIG so we could approach 20 wins. By year three we make a stand and be in the top six of the BIG, win a couple games we shouldn't and make the NCAA.  After that we just have to pray that the NBA doesn't come calling and Fred gets tempted.  I hope his buy out is significant.

12 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I heard on the radio today Moos put an $11 million buy out in Freds first year and decreasing to about $5 mil the 5th year.

Yet the naysayers are claiming the buy out amounts tell them he wants to leave after 3-4 years.  Why do people not trust a persons word any longer.  I trust what Fred and his wife are saying! I guess it's important for people to act like know-it-all's!

2 hours ago, MNBigRedNorth said:

Yet the naysayers are claiming the buy out amounts tell them he wants to leave after 3-4 years.  Why do people not trust a persons word any longer.  I trust what Fred and his wife are saying! I guess it's important for people to act like know-it-all's!

I trust and hope Fred becomes a Husker for as long as he wants in Lincoln.  I also trust he is a man of his word when he made that claim.  It looks like the high dollar buy out Moos installed would only pertain to other universities but the buy out if he gets a call by a pro team would be significantly less.  I am excited for the future of Husker basketball. Bright days are ahead.