Isaiah Roby

seaofred92

38 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

As things stand now- he’s still in the second round for the Athletic’s 2020 NBA draft preview: https://theathletic.com/934557/2019/04/23/a-way-too-early-2020-nba-mock-draft-and-analysis-of-next-years-class/

The more and more I hear, I think he is gone.

They are mainly whispers from people who might or might not know anything, but seems like he is just ready to move on.

Here’s an article on Jordan Poole staying in the draft that I thought may provide context on why Roby should go: 

https://theathletic.com/941530/2019/04/23/the-story-behind-jordan-pooles-all-in-decision-on-the-nba-draft/

Jordan Poole’s decision to officially withdraw from the University of Michigan and go all in on the NBA Draft was a simple one. This was a decision based on the confines of what was and the belief in what could be.

In a phone call Tuesday, Poole’s father, Anthony Poole, told The Athletic that his son’s decision stemmed from simple pragmatism. “If you come back (to school) and don’t improve,” Anthony Poole said, “you really screw yourself.” And coming back to Michigan and improving, in the Pooles’ eyes, would be exceedingly difficult as a matter of happenstance at U-M.

As Jordan Poole noted in a conversation before Michigan’s team banquet last week, and as his father repeated by phone Tuesday, both believe Jordan’s opportunities to showcase his game were mostly limited by the particulars of Michigan’s roster and his role in the offense.

“If (Jordan) comes back and has the same season (as he did in 2018-19), NBA guys are going say, well, how did he get better?” Anthony Poole said.

This thought process was in the works weeks ago. Anthony Poole said his son made his NBA decision “a while ago” and mostly knew this would be his future course during the second half of the season. Poole left the door open to return to school when declaring for the draft as a matter of “keeping it respectful toward the program,” according to his father.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Roby is gone. I honestly think any team that drafts him in the second round can get a potential steal if they can get more consistent effort. 

Talent is there. He still strikes me as more of a 4 but probably not strong enough for NBA 4. 

Still feels like a 3/4 tweener.

I'm thinking he's going to leave as well.

But I think you're exactly right - his biggest issue is he's a tweener.  Not sure he's strong enough to play the 4 and he'll be in foul trouble a lot.  But he only shoots 33% on 3s and that doesn't play as a 3 in the league.

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm thinking he's going to leave as well.

But I think you're exactly right - his biggest issue is he's a tweener.  Not sure he's strong enough to play the 4 and he'll be in foul trouble a lot.  But he only shoots 33% on 3s and that doesn't play as a 3 in the league.

Completely agree - I think the only way he comes back is if he gets feedback (and actually considers the feedback) that he needs to improve his shot/3s and he realizes that is what Hoiberg is known for; however, I too think he is gone. 

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree - I think the only way he comes back is if he gets feedback (and actually considers the feedback) that he needs to improve his shot/3s and he realizes that is what Hoiberg is known for; however, I too think he is gone. 

I think by this time in your career you probably are who you are.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I think by this time in your career you probably are who you are.

This is true for a lot of players but IMO, not for Roby.  He had regressed at the beginning of last season.  He looked timid and his 3 point shooting was awful.  He looked much more impressive towards the end of the season when he was forced to be more aggressive due to injuries.  I think he has a lot of room for improvement but don't think he's going to stick around.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This is true for a lot of players but IMO, not for Roby.  He had regressed at the beginning of last season.  He looked timid and his 3 point shooting was awful.  He looked much more impressive towards the end of the season when he was forced to be more aggressive due to injuries.  I think he has a lot of room for improvement but don't think he's going to stick around.

Sure, but that team at the end of the year sucked.  This team will have more shooters on it...so does he get the ball as much and as often?  And he will still be stuck playing the 5 on defense...

I think you go when you have the chance...he isn't going to go from 33% to 45% from 3...he won't average 19 a game...all he will do is get a year older.

• Plus1 1

I don't get the thought that Roby "will improve his 3 point shot" by coming back and playing a year under Hoiberg.  His 3 point % might improve just by getting more confidence, but Hoiberg won't have the time to drastically change Roby's shooting form.

I don't think Roby has bad shooting form, he just doesn't have much confidence.  If Roby is going to make tweaks to his shooting form, it's going to happen when he's working with NBA or G-League coaches around the clock and every day.  He doesn't really have much to gain from coming back to NU.  If he's an early 2nd round pick this year, he would probably be an early 2nd round pick next year.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't get the thought that Roby "will improve his 3 point shot" by coming back and playing a year under Hoiberg.  His 3 point % might improve just by getting more confidence, but Hoiberg won't have the time to drastically change Roby's shooting form.

I don't think Roby has bad shooting form, he just doesn't have much confidence.  If Roby is going to make tweaks to his shooting form, it's going to happen when he's working with NBA or G-League coaches around the clock and every day.  He doesn't really have much to gain from coming back to NU.  If he's an early 2nd round pick this year, he would probably be an early 2nd round pick next year.

Agreed...

There is just not a lot of wiggle room from Jr to Sr year in the draft.  

Freshman to Sophomore year, there is a ton.

10 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

He may have looked more impressive.  He was also just getting more opportunities as we didn't have many other options.

He was 17 for 49 on 3s after February 1st which is still just 34.7%.  And that includes a game against Iowa where he was 4-4.  That was obviously an anomaly as he was 28.9% in the other games over that time span.  He also only shot 42.1% from the floor over that time, which is actually worse than the 45.4% he shot for the season.

So he probably had more impact plays simply because he had more chances.  But he wasn't any more efficient (better) over that span.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He may have looked more impressive.  He was also just getting more opportunities as we didn't have many other options.

He was 17 for 49 on 3s after February 1st which is still just 34.7%.  And that includes a game against Iowa where he was 4-4.  That was obviously an anomaly as he was 28.9% in the other games over that time span.  He also only shot 42.1% from the floor over that time, which is actually worse than the 45.4% he shot for the season.

So he probably had more impact plays simply because he had more chances.  But he wasn't any more efficient (better) over that span.

Yea I don't think his 3 point shooting would get much better by staying.  He definitely had more chances but he had some chances earlier in the season as well, he just chose not to take them and pass it off to Palmer or someone most of the time.  @ColoradoHusk  I definitely think it was a big confidence issue.  I guess I was thinking he'd have a bigger role in this offense but if he has a similar one to last season sticking around probably wouldn't make much difference.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Isaiah Roby