Isaiah Roby

seaofred92

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm thinking he's going to leave as well.

But I think you're exactly right - his biggest issue is he's a tweener.  Not sure he's strong enough to play the 4 and he'll be in foul trouble a lot.  But he only shoots 33% on 3s and that doesn't play as a 3 in the league.

Exactly.. and that wont get better by coming back a year. Nothing he can show will really change any of those perceptions.

Only thing that can happen is he comes back and gets hurt. Maybe he comes back and really shows off and moves himself up 10-15 picks. I would assume he is a mid 2nd rounder. 

NBA just doesnt love upper classman.

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I have seen others say this.  I would like to know what really is behind this.

From the little I've seen of it, it appears that NBA teams think that if you spent that amount of time in college, you must not be good enough to play in the NBA.  Kind of an odd thought process.

Basketball isn't like football where your body is going to be worn down.

14 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Exactly.. and that wont get better by coming back a year. Nothing he can show will really change any of those perceptions.

Only thing that can happen is he comes back and gets hurt. Maybe he comes back and really shows off and moves himself up 10-15 picks. I would assume he is a mid 2nd rounder. 

Or he might flourish in a different system that lets him showcase his athletic ability more.  I don't know.  He might end up in the G league either way so coming back wouldn't hurt much other than delaying the paycheck for a year.

14 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I wonder if this isn't a lot of a chicken-or-the-egg thing.  Maybe the reason the NBA "doesn't like" upperclassmen is because most the ones that are legit NBA talent have left earlier anyway.  So it isn't as much that they are against you staying four years as it is most guys have bolted before that so there just isn't much legit NBA talent left to choose from.

I tried looking into this a couple weeks ago but couldn't really find much for seniors that have gotten drafted and how they've done over the last however many years.

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have seen others say this.  I would like to know what really is behind this.

From the little I've seen of it, it appears that NBA teams think that if you spent that amount of time in college, you must not be good enough to play in the NBA.  Kind of an odd thought process.

Basketball isn't like football where your body is going to be worn down.

For a lot of NBA teams, they get interested in players with a lot of upside where the player can improve when he is focusing on playing basketball full-time. It's either that, or having one amazing skill which can keep the player around the league for a while.  Roby has intriguing size and athleticism, but he could be a tweener (although the NBA is moving towards positionless basketball).  Players who play the 3/4 need to be able to shoot, and right now that is Roby's weakness.  He's not going to improve his shooting by coming back to Nebraska, I just don't see that happening.

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

Or he might flourish in a different system that lets him showcase his athletic ability more.  I don't know.  He might end up in the G league either way so coming back wouldn't hurt much other than delaying the paycheck for a year.

I wonder if this isn't a lot of a chicken-or-the-egg thing.  Maybe the reason the NBA "doesn't like" upperclassmen is because most the ones that are legit NBA talent have left earlier anyway.  So it isn't as much that they are against you staying four years as it is most guys have bolted before that so there just isn't much legit NBA talent left to choose from.

I tried looking into this a couple weeks ago but couldn't really find much for seniors that have gotten drafted and how they've done over the last however many years.

I think the possibility for Injuries way out weigh that. Yes, Roby could improve his athletic ability in a new system but with him being a Tweener I just honestly wonder how much that really bumps his stock.

I think he is around 40-50 in terms of where he is picked this year. A great year maybe gets him to 30-40 range but I doubt that.

The NBA needs to find a position for him. 3/4 hybrid.

11 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Just looked at about 25 mock drafts. Maybe 1/3 have time getting drafted late late into the second rd.  Is his stock falling that much. A month ago he was mid 2nd round with a few in that 35-40 range. 

Overseas draft and stash players always push down guys in the 2nd round

• Plus1 1

• Mavric changed the title to Isaiah Roby