Sign in to follow this  
knapplc

Roby has entered his name into the NBA Draft - hasn't hired an agent

Time to re-recruit Isaiah Roby!!

A couple of salient quotes from the article:

LINCOLN — Nebraska forward Isaiah Roby has put his name into the NBA draft, the junior told The World-Herald on Saturday. 

Roby will not hire an agent and will keep his options open, he said, meaning he could return to NU next season.  

Hoiberg has already called Roby, who said he likes the hiring of Hoiberg as Tim Miles' replacement. 

"I mean, obviously he's got a lot of success in college and he's coached in the NBA, played in the NBA, he was an executive in the NBA, so yeah I think that's the type of person that can really turn this program in the right direction," Roby said. 

• Plus1 3

I really think, and selfishly so, Roby would benefit from a year under CFH.  

Would love to see him here but with one year left and a new coach it’s prob best to go. Seen him as a mid to late 2nd round pick

• Eyeroll 2

I don't personally care if he stays or not. But declaring would be a huge mistake by Roby.

He's got the potential, but he's nowhere even remotely close to being able to cut it in the league. He legitimately could grow into a very quality player for some team someday, but he currently plays way too soft, unsure and timid. He still hasn't learned how to believe in himself on a consistent basis and he makes stupid mistakes often enough to make that really clear. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't personally care if he stays or not. But declaring would be a huge mistake by Roby.

He's got the potential, but he's nowhere even remotely close to being able to cut it in the league. He legitimately could grow into a very quality player for some team someday, but he currently plays way too soft, unsure and timid. He still hasn't learned how to believe in himself on a consistent basis and he makes stupid mistakes often enough to make that really clear. 

Not sure who eye rolled you, but I agree 100% with your take. He needs another year 

45 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Would love to see him here but with one year left and a new coach it’s prob best to go. Seen him as a mid to late 2nd round pick

Yep...there is not really the old senior jump anymore.  If anything, to the NBA it just makes him a year older.

The NBA, more than any other league, drafts on potential and pre-draft workouts.  

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I would think that every junior in a power conference would do the same thing.

This.

A huge thing by doing this is the feedback the player receives from NBA peeps

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yep...there is not really the old senior jump anymore.  If anything, to the NBA it just makes him a year older.

The NBA, more than any other league, drafts on potential and pre-draft workouts.  

It’s almost a negative for guys to be seniors now.  NBA teams look at them with an opinion of “why didn’t they declare earlier”.

Also, where do people think they will develop more. Option A is spending part of your time working on basketball and only having a certain number of hours per week with your coaches, the other part of your time going to class. The number of games in option A is about 35 games against college kids.  Option B is spending as much time as your can working with professional coaches and trainers, without worrying about going to go to school, and while the player may not be playing in 80-90 games, they are experiencing the highest level of basketball around.

Long-story short, if Roby is going to have a career in the NBA, it probably won’t be “better” because he came back for his senior year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s almost a negative for guys to be seniors now.  NBA teams look at them with an opinion of “why didn’t they declare earlier”.

Also, where do people think they will develop more. Option A is spending part of your time working on basketball and only having a certain number of hours per week with your coaches, the other part of your time going to class. The number of games in option A is about 35 games against college kids.  Option B is spending as much time as your can working with professional coaches and trainers, without worrying about going to go to school, and while the player may not be playing in 80-90 games, they are experiencing the highest level of basketball around.

Long-story short, if Roby is going to have a career in the NBA, it probably won’t be “better” because he came back for his senior year. 

Image result for shhh emoji

• Plus1 3

Look at the mock drafts for the next two years...there are like 5 seniors on it and I think 4 of them were in the second round.

The NBA draft is basically Tinder...those GMs are not swiping right on oldies.  

Selfishly, I really hope Roby stays. He would be a great leader on the team to start the Hoiberg era. 

That said, he has done everything huskers should hope for. He came here to play. He’s worked and played hard and has represented the program well. It’s not his fault he came here at a time when we didn’t have a championship level staff. 

He needs to do what is best for him now. I could see him excited to play for Fred and sticking around....or, I could see him thinking it’s time to move on. 

I’ll support him either way. 

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

He has a ton of development left to go, and would benefit from a wide open offense like Hoiberg likes to run. 

• Upvote 2

It might do him good to stay that last year and work under Hoilberg on his game.  I know a lot of Juniors do what he is doing, but most should stay in school.

• Plus1 1

Roby currently is a late 2nd round pick.  Another year in school learning from a coach with nba experience would do wonders for Roby.  Most likely bump him onto the first round.  

47 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

Roby currently is a late 2nd round pick.  Another year in school learning from a coach with nba experience would do wonders for Roby.  Most likely bump him onto the first round.  

I have seen him projected at the end of the 1st round. If he is a projected 1st round pick he has got to go to the NBA 

12 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

I have seen him projected at the end of the 1st round. If he is a projected 1st round pick he has got to go to the NBA 

I never saw a first round kid when I watched. He seemed clunky and a foul machine 

13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I never saw a first round kid when I watched. He seemed clunky and a foul machine 

He would likely fall in the draft to the 2nd round. NBA teams draft on potential. He has a ton of potential

21 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

He is staying in the draft or going somewhere else

Thors all we got left!  :ahhhhhhhh

2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Am I missing something?  Where does it say somewhere else?

He could come here, but the way he worded made it sound like he was pretty set on the NBA

1 hour ago, The Murphinator said:

He could come here, but the way he worded made it sound like he was pretty set on the NBA

Someone will pick him up.   I agree that it will be NBA.  I really hope he gets drafted. 

No one benefits more than Roby on coming back. He will need to be able to play outside in the NBA. Fred would do wonders for his draft stock 

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

No one benefits more than Roby on coming back. He will need to be able to play outside in the NBA. Fred would do wonders for his draft stock 

Roby can also look at what happened to Copeland as a reason to not come back.

At this point, I think coming back in a new system can really help highlight his game or if he falters it could show maybe he isnt an NBA fit before he gets an NBA paycheck.

It will all depend how he grades out but I honestly wonder.. how much more will his draft stock grow with an extra year? NBA doesnt love SR's at all.

He go from mid to late second rounder to early second rounder?

If I am him, I am staying to try and be a part of a team that can win some games and enjoy 1 more year of college... Or he can enjoy playing in the G-league riding buses to Sioux Falls. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

If you're not a likely first-round pick, you shouldn't leave early.

Not necessarily true as there are some very lucrative options professionally outside the NBA. KenPom ran a statistical analysis on The Athletic on guys coming back for their Senior years and they dont really improve like people think they do. Junior year is actually typically the maximum efficiency for guys. I’ll look to see if I can find it and if I do I’ll link it here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

If you're not a likely first-round pick, you shouldn't leave early.

Guys through the 40-45 pick range still get guaranteed contracts anymore.  Even if it is "only" a million that is still so much more valuable than a degree when you can go back and get that if you want.  There are enough smart people involved here, a team will let him know he is their guy in round two and he will get paid.  You leave if you can get the check.

48 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Guys through the 40-45 pick range still get guaranteed contracts anymore.  Even if it is "only" a million that is still so much more valuable than a degree when you can go back and get that if you want.  There are enough smart people involved here, a team will let him know he is their guy in round two and he will get paid.  You leave if you can get the check.

You’re not wrong but I don’t necessarily agree either.  Some guys have reached a lot of their potential and it makes sense for them to go to the nba.  Roby is not one of them.  Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s nba caliber but the kid is not even close to nba ready.  

I guess it all comes down to is it worth it to get that guaranteed money and go play in the d league after a year or stay another year, up your game and try and make a career out of it.  

Roby reminds me somewhat of Uthoff from Iowa who kind of got on a roster this year. He went from 12 ppg to 18ppg from Jr to Sr year. Roby still plays tentative and is an average shooter. 

Roby seems to like college...he was having a good time at Barry's on Saturday!  I would have a hard time leaving that behind...

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would have a hard time leaving that behind...

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Obviously not everyone thinks coming back for their senior year will kill their NBA chances....

Limited athleticism and very undersized for his position. Not explosive and is a defensive liability- not to mention almost 5 TO per 40 mins. 

Great college PG-I’ll be shocked if he ever plays a minute in the NBA. 

• Plus1 1

This site has him going 55 overall which would be a draft and stash guy instead of him. If he is this low he would be better served coming back I would imagine. His draft grade needs to be below 40 or he should just come back. Offense is the big thing holding him back from going higher. If he could shoot the ball with confidence he would be a first rounder no doubt. 

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

As things stand now- he’s still in the second round for the Athletic’s 2020 NBA draft preview: https://theathletic.com/934557/2019/04/23/a-way-too-early-2020-nba-mock-draft-and-analysis-of-next-years-class/

The more and more I hear, I think he is gone.

They are mainly whispers from people who might or might not know anything, but seems like he is just ready to move on.

Being projected as a 2nd round pick is a slippery slope.  66% of all second round picks play in at least one game and around 40% have a nba career the will last 4 or more years. Better have a good grasp of your ability or you could be in Europe in a few years or riding the bench for 45 mins a game.